Opinion Who is currently our best midfielder?

Who is our best midfielder?

• Yeo

• Shuey

• Gaff

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Shuey then Yeo then Gaff..but all have different attributes and impact the game differently.
Yeo is more versatile in positions played, can also shutdown an opp. player and kick a booming goal. Shuey is more your classic mid run+gun player, while Gaff just grinds you down..all goalkickers!
Hope to see Redden go up a notch this season..and Venables join the mid-club more often.
and of course, still waiting for the miraculous appearance of AhChee!? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Matty Priddis coming back to footy that's all that's important , those three guys have premiership medals but who are there idols ....M Priddis yes that's right and looks like playing for Williams in the Upper Southern league .

Matty Priddis coming back to footy that's all that's important , those three guys have premiership medals but who are there idols ....M Priddis yes that's right and looks like playing for Williams in the Upper Southern league .
Well, hope he enjoys himself as much as I'm enjoying him being there...the change/since
has been remarkable!

Last edited:

Shuey is most damaging player in AFL, he does not miss a target! Name a time...
Yeo is a power beast with a damaging long kick, if you tag one the other will destroy you. Most underrated midfield in the league

pCFDF4M.jpg

Stats and awards. Gaff deserved his AA on a wingmen, but he's more replaceable than Shuey or Yeo.
I think Shuey and Yeo's popularity with our fans goes to our frustration over the years of not being able to uncover/develop that dynamic mid we so desperately needed. Someone who could take the game by the scruff. Feels like we've always had the inside workhorse and outside runner but save for Shuey in spurts, and Nic Nat, we've struggled in that area.

Shuey always had that about him but he was playing a lone hand in that regard and while he is strong and tough he could only take so much in there given his size, which may be the reason he didn't consistently rack up numbers in the 30s. Teams knew if they clamped down on him, we lost our dynamism through there (particularly with Nic Nat off).

It's a fun question to ponder, but to me I couldn't give a rat's who is our best or worst so long as the collective get it done. And that's what Simmo/Mitch engineered. A unit that got the job done. Knew their roles and stepped up. Shue and Yeo don't get to play their natural game without the others pulling their weight, indeed they benefit from having each other to work off.

I love Shuey, and there is nothing more exciting for me than to see him stream through on a NicNat tap into space and deliver the pill on JK's tit. It is pure sex. But I think Yeo has another level to go to. And we possibly don't rate his defensive strengths as we should. He has the physical attributes that make him one tough hombre to match up. His kicking nowhere near Shuey's but his marking probably puts him in front of Shuey for me.

Sent from my CPH1707 using Tapatalk

Stats and awards. Gaff deserved his AA on a wingmen, but he's more replaceable than Shuey or Yeo.
I think that nailed it, while Gaff is elite, a Rolls Royce, he is not as damaging as Yeo or Shuey.
An example is if we played the GF without one of Shuey or Yeo, replaced with Gaff-even with Sheed still out there, it would be fair to say we may have lost?
and for what it's worth I also think Yeo can improve..maybe Gaff too..remember when he wasn't much of a goalkicker and then made a conscious effort to lift his scoring.

Last edited:
Gaff of 2012-2016 is replaceable. But gaff hitting the scoreboard last year especially, combined with his run and skill makes him an A grader. I think his year last year was very underrated, even if he did make AA. We were very lucky Sheed/redden were both able to step up and take on some of his immense workload. I think we will be better for it in the long run.

Yeo has the ability to kick those long range goals and high marks which makes him a hard matchup. But I’d still take shuey first.
Yeo has some catching to do, but given he’s a few years younger it will be an interesting comparison once they have both retired. Shuey will cut you up with 20-25 touches because they are all quality.

The irony is that Yeo’s PF final performance was probably as big a reason we won the flag as any- it released shuey to get a decent start, by the time the change was made it was too late

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really surprised by the result of the poll.

I would have had Shuey last of the 3.

Maybe people are remembering his last game (which was obviously sensational), but he had a bit of a downer in 2018 imo.

Yeo has been a lot better than him over the last two years. Gaff as well.

I mean last year you guys gave Yeo 48.29 votes, compared to Shuey 22.84. Gaff finished with 33.08. It's pretty self evident that week to week people think Yeo is better. That's why I'm surprised by the results.

The poll was for "best player" as well, not "most important". I could see an argument that Shuey is more important, but Yeo has clearly been the best player.

Voted Shuey but Yeo a very close second. Shuey did have a down year by his standards in 2018 but he put that to bed with one of the best GF games in recent history. His burst away and precision delivery at stoppages is one of the best in the league. There is no better sight than NN tapping it down the throat of Shuey who bursts past 2 or 3 opposition and sears a kick into JK on the lead.
Yeo is only 1 year into a full time midfield role and he brings the marking power of a KP with the run and extraction of a class mid. He regularly kicks goals from outside the arc and his tackling of big players (Dusty Im looking at you champ) is as good as any.
I think Shuey has the runs on the board but am expecting that Yeo might just be ahead of him by the end of 2019 with a second year honing his craft in the guts.

I think Yeo's best is probably better than Shuey's due to his physical attributes and marking but I would put Shuey as our best mid overall, then Yeo (who has another level still) and then Gaff.

I mean last year you guys gave Yeo 48.29 votes, compared to Shuey 22.84. Gaff finished with 33.08. It's pretty self evident that week to week people think Yeo is better.
I didn’t realise the thread was about 2018 performance only...

Last year was a quiet one for Shuey for a number of reasons.

But over their careers, as far as midfield performance goes, Shuey has way more runs on the board than Yeo.

I didn’t realise the thread was about 2018 performance only...

Last year was a quiet one for Shuey for a number of reasons.

But over their careers, as far as midfield performance goes, Shuey has way more runs on the board than Yeo.

Well, it's the only year we can compare apples with apples. Yeo was better than Shuey in 2017 as well remember (though predominately in a different position).

I'm not suggesting that Yeo has had a better midfield career than Shuey either. Obviously not.

I'm taking a snapshot of the current midfield at this moment in time. And the best way to do that is looking at recent form. And Yeo is in front.

Well, it's the only year we can compare apples with apples. Yeo was better than Shuey in 2017 as well remember (though predominately in a different position).

I'm not suggesting that Yeo has had a better midfield career than Shuey either. Obviously not.

I'm taking a snapshot of the current midfield at this moment in time. And the best way to do that is looking at recent form. And Yeo is in front.
Fair enough. That’s a bit like saying Darling is our best key forward, which is also correct if you only look at recent form.

Fair enough. That’s a bit like saying Darling is our best key forward, which is also correct if you only look at recent form.

Your point is fair, but obviously Kennedy had injury issues last year. And before that had come off 3 straight years of being the best forward in the game. And Darlings hot form was about 5 or 6 weeks of God like football, rather than Yeo's two seasons of B+F football.

And Shuey was never in the conversation of being in the best midfields in the game in the 3 years prior.

Back