Opinion Who is currently our best midfielder?

Who is our best midfielder?

• Yeo

• Shuey

• Gaff

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Really surprised by the result of the poll.

I would have had Shuey last of the 3.

Maybe people are remembering his last game (which was obviously sensational), but he had a bit of a downer in 2018 imo.

Yeo has been a lot better than him over the last two years. Gaff as well.

I mean last year you guys gave Yeo 48.29 votes, compared to Shuey 22.84. Gaff finished with 33.08. It's pretty self evident that week to week people think Yeo is better. That's why I'm surprised by the results.

The poll was for "best player" as well, not "most important". I could see an argument that Shuey is more important, but Yeo has clearly been the best player.
It's a hard one to judge.

If Gaff hits last season's form I'd have him as our best but I didn't want to weight everything on 2018 so I guess I sort of read it as: Who do I think will be our best midfielder this year.

Shueys attributes make for the best package. Yeo could be anything he just isn't as good a ball user.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Your point is fair, but obviously Kennedy had injury issues last year. And before that had come off 3 straight years of being the best forward in the game. And Darlings hot form was about 5 or 6 weeks of God like football, rather than Yeo's two seasons of B+F football.

And Shuey was never in the conversation of being in the best midfields in the game in the 3 years prior.
Shuey was injured for like 5-6 weeks last year, just like Kennedy.

And Yeo’s first b&f had nothing to do with him playing midfield, unless I am forgetting how often he was there.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Shuey was injured for like 5-6 weeks last year, just like Kennedy.

And Yeo’s first b&f had nothing to do with him playing midfield, unless I am forgetting how often he was there.

Kennedy played 14 games. Shuey played 20. Kennedy had no preseason either. It's pretty unfair to say Shuey was as injured as Kennedy last year.

You are right that Yeo spent the majority of his first B+F in the backline.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Kennedy played 14 games. Shuey played 20. Kennedy had no preseason either. It's pretty unfair to say Shuey was as injured as Kennedy last year.

You are right that Yeo spent the majority of his first B+F in the backline.
1 of Shuey’s games was over within minutes though (vs Port) when he did his hammy in the first quarter.

sey666

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Saw this on AFL game day after the grand final: his ability to impact games like that is phenomenal, just wow - Elliot Yeo on Luke Shuey. Heard Shuey say in an interview last week that other midfielders in the team played better football than him over the years and that Yeo is now one of the best in the comp. Apparently both think that the other is better.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Saw this on AFL game day after the grand final: his ability to impact games like that is phenomenal, just wow - Elliot Yeo on Luke Shuey. Heard Shuey say in an interview last week that other midfielders in the team played better football than him over the years and that Yeo is now one of the best in the comp. Apparently both think that the other is better.

Both trying to make sure the other gets tagged

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Taggers are too scared to run with Gaff nowadays
that Big Bad Gaffy rep..?

*wonder which midfielder will excel more with the 6-6-6, and shine through this season?
hope to see more long Yeo-bombs on the run..

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Watching last years finals again (finally bought the box set) so I could see them on a bigger TV. I forgot how good Redden was for us!

He's the player who's basically shifting around to accommodate others into the middle, he's adapted his game style a few times for us but he just carries on with it.

It's a good starting midfield, enough talent there to drive the team. Players like Redden, Shuey, Yeo and Venables have a stronger body attack. The amount of times someone has tried to barge through Shuey and Venables (maybe because he's young) and they just cop a full shoulder charge to the chest and take them to ground is awesome to see. Or the times they're chasing a loose ball near the boundary, they play to the whistle and really force the ball out of bounds, not sit back and expect it to go out of bounds.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
If boots stays fit, he might just go on to get his first AA jacket.

To me Shuey's foot brain is underrated by oppo fans and its what sets him and Yeo apart.

Shuey's foot skills are better than Dangerfield, Fyfe and as good as Martin.

Arguably one of the best kicks to a leading forward on both sides of the body.

Breaks away from stoppages as much as Danger and Co. but does it without the fan fare and praise he deserves.

Underrated still IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep, after that game with the kings of the jungle, Sheed is the Main-Man!
Who'd a thunk that, this time last year?
Just goes to show how anything can happen in a looong season.
Buckle up...

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
He's more than handy but as a general rule he's just not damaging in the way that Shuey and Yeo are.
Maybe not with one possession. But when he gets it 10 more times than the other two guys and 13 of those touches are contested, his overall impact is top -shelf.

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I still rate gaff as our best he might not be a game breaker like yeo and shuey but he consistently does it more and has improved marginally bit by bit each year

Back