Roast Who is getting paid to come up with these ideas?

Remove this Banner Ad

but logically, the microphone would be imbedded in the post to pick up soundwaves in contact with the post, it wouldn't be a normal microphone to pick up sound waves in the air all round so I'd say crowd noise doesn't come into it...just like at the cricket crowd noise is meaningless....but a player's boot can certainly graze the post...or as said someone can delib 'hit' the post...surely that'll get picked up...

Regardless, must still be an issue ...

"It is understood the padding of the goalposts helps mask the external noise of the crowd and game, and helps limit false detections."

There's no padding higher up on the goal posts.

Thought I'd share this podcast. Amazing sports story and terribly sad that you can basically swap out "NHL" for "AFL" and it would still make complete sense.
Regarding the constant tinkering with the game, arrogance and stupidity of governing sporting body.
https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/radiolab-punchline

I was just watching the games this week shaking my head laughing at the score lines.
But it’s way beyond numbers, the game is shithouse. Footy has never been more boring with teams trying to possess the footy at all costs, take fewer risks and of course inevitably when they do progress the ball into their forward half where is everyone? Yep all in there.
The forward half pressure is still as important and probably even more so which is just fine for us.
It’s how long it’s taking to get from end to end and I assume without looking at stats there are less F50 entries. Wouldn’t surprise if it’s player driven even because players are out on their feet often.
Great job AFL. What do they do now? Change rules to combat the ugly parts? What make some sort of possession limit per entry? I shouldn’t even joke about it.
Complete and utter ******* idiots, just let the game evolve because no matter what the coaches are much smarter than you muppets and will counter any of your bullshit.

I was just watching the games this week shaking my head laughing at the score lines.
But it’s way beyond numbers, the game is shithouse. Footy has never been more boring with teams trying to possess the footy at all costs, take fewer risks and of course inevitably when they do progress the ball into their forward half where is everyone? Yep all in there.
The forward half pressure is still as important and probably even more so which is just fine for us.
It’s how long it’s taking to get from end to end and I assume without looking at stats there are less F50 entries. Wouldn’t surprise if it’s player driven even because players are out on their feet often.
Great job AFL. What do they do now? Change rules to combat the ugly parts? What make some sort of possession limit per entry? I shouldn’t even joke about it.
Complete and utter ******* idiots, just let the game evolve because no matter what the coaches are much smarter than you muppets and will counter any of your bullshit.

No no no. Hocking is a genius. Already has another 27 rule changes lined up for next year when he has a second crack at it. The new round ball he wants to use looks fantastic.....

Have not been watching 360 as much recently, but hopefully Robinson gets w***er squirming just a little. He will no doubt be wimpering the 'give it time' line. Or its up to the coaches. But so far, the rule changes to make the game faster and more attractive has been an abject failure.

Having said that... I watched most of the games this weekend and with the close finishes, thought they were great to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early days mate but they’re about the same on average. What I’d be more interested in is how many are entries from D50 v forward half repeat entries.

I suspect teams outside of centre bounces are slowing the ball movement when in possession to allow players to set up behind the ball and crab it up the field. A style of play Geelong were playing last year funnily enough. And one that works on narrow grounds with bigger midfielders.

Inside 50 shot clock will be next. Don't even tempt them....The whole idea is to make the game as boring as basketball so it wouldn't surprise me.

Inside 50 shot clock will be next. Don't even tempt them....The whole idea is to make the game as boring as basketball so it wouldn't surprise me.

Don;t even consider it, we have enough back and forth outside the arc now. It will become even worse with a shot clock of any sort. I hope the AFL do nothing more for a couple of years at least - the coaches have said they still have no idea where this is going. It will evolve.

If this TV rights/AFL bullsheet boring footy continues i would like to see the players demand some changes for more money then flex their muscles about the state of the umpiring rules and free kicks, umpire reports on players, rules of the game...
They are as big a part of the Footy World as the AFL the TV rights the Footy Clubs and yet have the least say about the state of the game...
The big Four...Players...TV...AFL...Clubs...

Below is the updated table showing the average round scores across multiple years.

As you can see we are up to round 7 and not once has the round score average for 2019 been higher than the overall average.

But yet the decision was made to introduce all of this after 2 vfl games.

IMG_20190506_190332.jpg

Didn't know where else to post this, this seems to be the most appropriate place.

Remember just after we won our flag we had journalists saying Richmond win was bad for the game despite us playing fast aggressive attacking footy?

They just showed how a lot of teams have essentially copied the Eagles boring kick around keepings off footy. Collingwood was the prime example.

I still can't believe we weren't praised for playing the game in the way we want to see it played and now a team like the Eagles have got away with it. Quite staggering really. If every team tried to play the game how we do the comp would be awesome.

Pricks.

So what do we think about the rule changes now? I'm not so sure Hocking and the GeeLOL think tank group would have thought we'd exploit the rules to our advantage so much so that we'd win the grand final by 15 goals.
Everything is easy in retrospect but it stands to reason that by changing things so dramatically on the fly that the best team would most readily adapt and exploit.
I look forward to more changes this off season! lol

Oh and by the way, it's nice to be on top when concessions are being handed out to the worst team again. Means the oppo can't narrow the gap.

To the AFL......

Cop it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back