Roast Who is getting paid to come up with these ideas?

Remove this Banner Ad

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
After I retired from the Z Grade ammos, I was the runner the following season... after half a dozen games I made a comeback as playing was so much easier!!!
I would have loved one of those iPads.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
I have to ask if they are worried about runners on the ground, what's to stop the runner doing boundry laps to get the message across. Is that still illegal?
A smart club will just wire up the trainers and get them to relay messages because they are still allowed to attend to injured or pretend injured players.

I have to ask if they are worried about runners on the ground, what's to stop the runner doing boundry laps to get the message across. Is that still illegal?

Pretty sure they can still do that.

They (or at least the water carriers) can also run on during breaks in play (after goal -> before center bounce). Not sure of the penalty if they're still on, and how much flexibility they have. It'd also interesting how things go down if they were still on because they stopped to give an umpire a drink.

A smart club will just wire up the trainers and get them to relay messages because they are still allowed to attend to injured or pretend injured players.

Pretty sure there are already rules against that.

Pretty sure they can still do that.

They (or at least the water carriers) can also run on during breaks in play (after goal -> before center bounce). Not sure of the penalty if they're still on, and how much flexibility they have. It'd also interesting how things go down if they were still on because they stopped to give an umpire a drink.

"Dehydrate you white maggot I gotta get off the ground"

I noticed they bounced the ball as water carriers were still to cross the boundary line. I have absolutely no problem with that, BUT, I wonder how much that will get pushed over time. Thin edge of the wedge issues are what the AFL does best!

Out of all the current issues the game has, who thought runners were that bigger issue? I didn’t.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

May 27, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Moronic. Typical of the AFL though to look for the most expensive, idiotic solution to a simple problem.

Plus, your whole ******* ground is surrounded by LCD screens now. Why not flash that up on the advertising fence instead?

"OI MAXWELL, GET THE * OFF THE GROUND" flashing in big letters with flames etc. That'd get the message across, not some POS iPad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
$2k each for a cheap Chinese Android tablet with handles that have glossy screens that are too reflective and no where near bright enough?
What a waste of money, even the interface they've built looks cheap

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...creens-after-brief-trial-20190306-p5128q.html

AFL scraps expensive LED screens after brief trial
995ec20769cc2faf6a9839bb600c3dfc18fd947a
By Sam McClure
March 6, 2019 — 5.26pm

The AFL’s expensive new gizmo will be scrapped after just one trial, with the LED boards used on the boundary line deemed inappropriate for use during games.
Despite the AFL spending nearly $5000 per board and waiting weeks for delivery from overseas, it’s understood the screens won’t make it to the home-and-away season, after it was found that they can’t be seen in the sun.
The Age understands that clubs have been told to use their own boards instead and have been asked to return the screens to the AFL.
The failed trial of the monitors came as no surprise to several clubs, who complained about the lack of functionality, with the screens believed to weigh upwards of seven kilograms each.
They were also virtually invisible to players when they face the sun.

Clubs have been told to use their own boards, which must fit in the dimensions of 800 millimetres x 600 millimetres and cannot have sponsor advertising attached.
Everything else, including what the boards are made from and the size of the font used, is at the discretion of the clubs. Only one board can be used at a time.
Clubs are expected to concentrate the use of their own boards for rotations and basic tactical changes, such as attacking or defensive game styles that are likely to be dictated by different colours.
Before the failed trial, the introduction of the LED screens was seen by several clubs as a strange decision and a mini backflip by the AFL, given it had previously limited the use of runners to make the game less coached.
Clubs then found the systems difficult to operate and there remained confusion over what kind of symbols could be used during games.

“We didn’t use the message board on the weekend because we knew that they wouldn’t work,” Brisbane Lions coach Chris Fagan said on Wednesday.
“It was hard to see in the sun … we’ve been given the opportunity this week to find our own board.”
It was initially stated that the screens could portray symbols and numbers before emojis were also discussed.
Although the AFL has asked clubs to return the screens it's unclear what the league will use them for.

does this mean I should stop applying for icon designer job to design shitty icons that would make Helen Keller cry ?

Last edited:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...creens-after-brief-trial-20190306-p5128q.html

AFL scraps expensive LED screens after brief trial
995ec20769cc2faf6a9839bb600c3dfc18fd947a
By Sam McClure
March 6, 2019 — 5.26pm

The AFL’s expensive new gizmo will be scrapped after just one trial, with the LED boards used on the boundary line deemed inappropriate for use during games.
Despite the AFL spending nearly $5000 per board and waiting weeks for delivery from overseas, it’s understood the screens won’t make it to the home-and-away season, after it was found that they can’t be seen in the sun.
The Age understands that clubs have been told to use their own boards instead and have been asked to return the screens to the AFL.
The failed trial of the monitors came as no surprise to several clubs, who complained about the lack of functionality, with the screens believed to weigh upwards of seven kilograms each.
They were also virtually invisible to players when they face the sun.

Clubs have been told to use their own boards, which must fit in the dimensions of 800 millimetres x 600 millimetres and cannot have sponsor advertising attached.
Everything else, including what the boards are made from and the size of the font used, is at the discretion of the clubs. Only one board can be used at a time.
Clubs are expected to concentrate the use of their own boards for rotations and basic tactical changes, such as attacking or defensive game styles that are likely to be dictated by different colours.
Before the failed trial, the introduction of the LED screens was seen by several clubs as a strange decision and a mini backflip by the AFL, given it had previously limited the use of runners to make the game less coached.
Clubs then found the systems difficult to operate and there remained confusion over what kind of symbols could be used during games.

“We didn’t use the message board on the weekend because we knew that they wouldn’t work,” Brisbane Lions coach Chris Fagan said on Wednesday.
“It was hard to see in the sun … we’ve been given the opportunity this week to find our own board.”
It was initially stated that the screens could portray symbols and numbers before emojis were also discussed.
Although the AFL has asked clubs to return the screens it's unclear what the league will use them for.

does this mean I should stop applying for icon designer job to design shitty icons that would make Helen Keller cry ?

My first Tigercast Takedown has been vindicated within a day.

Good strike rate.

I'm surprised Sam didn't quote me after captain blood 17 linked him to the episode multiple times lol

Glad they are gone though.

******* stupid idea.

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm actually more worried about the penile enlargement square might be back on. So they settle for an imaginary extension area for the kickins
but not too many are kicking from the extended area, they still do it from behind the line...because the line is there for all to see, now they might
actually draw an extended goal square so the kicker can SEE where he can creep up to...

standby for Gil's penile extension procedure.

I imagine the screens would work quite well for a sport like basketball that is usually played indoors and in a relatively small space. Not AFL where the sun is blazing down on the screen and the field is 150 metres wide. What were they thinking?

Spoiler alert: they weren't.

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Doesn't really bother me, TBH.
All I care about is the fixture and we've been given a good one this year.
In WA only to play Freo. (Round 8, May 12).
Our last 7 H&A matches are all at the G.
I'd much rather have Gill in charge of the AFL than some of the previous knucklescrapers.
I hate Docklands.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back