Mead

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Ok, assuming just for a moment that our run of luck with the big guns continues, and we give you the sort of thumping we gave Brisbane- who do you think would do it?- what I mean, is what West Coast players worry you the most, and how do you think the port should negate them?

Would be a team effort IMO if you get up.

I'm not sure anyone would really dominate, but Gardiner has a chance if Primus doesn't get up. Still, a lot of his around the ground work relies on WC having a fair share of the ball anyway.

Gardiner comprehensively winning the ruck, Troy Wilson if he can mark (neither Wakelin nor Bishop are a good sort to stand him, and his best dance partner in Paxman is still injured, which leaves Mead), and if McIntosh, Jakovich or Gaspar (or 2 on 1) can stop Tredrea.

West Coast need to worry about Francou, Stevens and Carr getting the ball to Cockatoo-Collins, Burgoyne, Wanganeen, Guerra, and about securing marks in the forward 50....Port are getting pretty good at stopping the scramble goals.

I suspect Schofield will get WCE's #1 tagger this week.

If Gardiner plays in ruck, I expect his opponent to try and drag him back into West Coast's defence, where he can do less damage.

Originally posted by Porthos
Gardiner comprehensively winning the ruck, Troy Wilson if he can mark (neither Wakelin nor Bishop are a good sort to stand him, and his best dance partner in Paxman is still injured, which leaves Mead), and if McIntosh, Jakovich or Gaspar (or 2 on 1) can stop Tredrea.

West Coast need to worry about Francou, Stevens and Carr getting the ball to Cockatoo-Collins, Burgoyne, Wanganeen, Guerra, and about securing marks in the forward 50....Port are getting pretty good at stopping the scramble goals.

I suspect Schofield will get WCE's #1 tagger this week.

If Gardiner plays in ruck, I expect his opponent to try and drag him back into West Coast's defence, where he can do less damage.

Your midfield certainly is a big worry, with Francou, Stevens, Carr and Schofield, there is just no room for us to relax. Just my personal opinions, but I assume Carr will try and tag Cousins, I can see us running Banfield on Stevens.
Kerr will get Francou, and that should be a great battle of the in and under players (no Peter Filandia jokes please)
If Wirrpunda plays in the midfield, I can see him matching up on Schofield. From what I've seen of Schofield, whilst an excellent player, he tends to run off his man to create things. Wirrpunda is lethal running into the forward line, and could hurt him badly if he's given space.
Then Primus (any word on whether he'll play yet) v Gardiner. Primus is stronger, Gardiner is more mobile- he's actually in the top ten in the league in marks, and unless Primus can run with him, he'll be an extra man in our forward line all day.

A lot depends on our delivery to Wilson- with Paxman out, he could kick a bundle. But if we aren't quick enough into the forward line, I'm guessing Hardwick will drop back in front of him (make sure the life insurance premiums are paid up!), and kill us on the rebound. My tip- watch out for Andrew william- he's has a few good weeks, and is primed for a big game.

At the other end of the ground, we're going to struggle to hold Tredrea. Glass, our full back-to-be has been pretty good against full forwards who like to body out, but has struggled against those who are quick on the lead. A lot depends on whether Macintosh is healthy for this game- he'd be an ideal person to take Tredrea. I'll make one, final sweeping prediction though- if Glen Jakovich plays well, we will win. If he doesn't, we won't. What do I base this on? Quite simply- in our three wins this season, he's been sensational, in our two losses, a non-entity.
if Jakovich dominates CHB, our entire attack springs from that.. if he doesn't, the midfield seems to fade out of it.

If Gardiner gets on top in the ruck and around the ground and Wilson starts taking a few grabs up forward then i think Port may have a very good contest on their hands

Looking forward to this match after the results of last weekend......

Ruck duel could be interesting if Primus gets up and plays against Gardiner.......

The midfields will be the key to the delivery into each sides forward line and there will be many different match ups throughout the game..........the checker boards will be on overtime

As for who will win.........we need to play more than 2 quarters of football as we have done against Carlton and the cows........

It should be a tough hard game and hopefully more attacking play by each side instead of that defenive dribble that has been plaguing games in the last few years.......

Can't wait for the game......Go Port

Originally posted by dreamkillers
Looking forward to this match after the results of last weekend......

Ruck duel could be interesting if Primus gets up and plays against Gardiner.......

The midfields will be the key to the delivery into each sides forward line and there will be many different match ups throughout the game..........the checker boards will be on overtime

As for who will win.........we need to play more than 2 quarters of football as we have done against Carlton and the cows........

It should be a tough hard game and hopefully more attacking play by each side instead of that defenive dribble that has been plaguing games in the last few years.......

Can't wait for the game......Go Port

If there's one thing we can be sure of, with two teams that both play very positive, attacking football, it'll be a high scoring, fun game to watch. I don't know that we'll win, but i'm confident we'll put in a far better showing than we did last year (thank you very much Ken Judge)

The midfield battle should be great. Cousins has shown in the last 2 weeks that he is close to regaining last seasons form, he has also been good up forward with 6 goals this season. Kerr has been outstanding this season, Matera has a new lease on life and Judd and Wirrpunda have been good. Schofield has been awesome for Port all year and he is the danger man, Stevens is class and Francou is very good in and under. Carr is probably the best tagger in the business and will most likely get Cuz, even though he's the best in the biz..i dont like his chances :D

Should be a great game. Honestly could come down to home ground advantage, if it was at Subi i would be very confident of a win but because its in Adelaide at Football Park then it will be a tough game for the Eagles to get over the line.

Originally posted by Mead

If there's one thing we can be sure of, with two teams that both play very positive, attacking football, it'll be a high scoring, fun game to watch. I don't know that we'll win, but i'm confident we'll put in a far better showing than we did last year (thank you very much Ken Judge)

A lot of teams (Port included ) have been accused of flooding this year.
Technically I suppose that is wrong as originally that meant having 1 or more extra players in your backline.
With a lot of teams nowadays it occurs because every player is accountable for his man.Thus a lot of forwards get dragged out of position by opposition coaches and the game gets clogged up.
Hopefully this will be a free flowing game as I think that is when we play best.

Actually, if anyone is going to beat us, it'll be a bunch of fringe players that I've only heard the names of and never seen play, who will play their career best game against us.

The players that worry me for WCE are Cousins (was a one man band against us last year), Gardiner & Wirrapunda. All three are excellent players but the 3 of them alone won't beat us, will need a four quarter, full team effort like last week to beat us. I don't think you'll do it 2 weeks in a row. Port by 5 goals plus.

Originally posted by Porthos
Actually, if anyone is going to beat us, it'll be a bunch of fringe players that I've only heard the names of and never seen play, who will play their career best game against us.

That's always the way, ain't it? :)
I still remember several years ago saying pregame- 'Ackermanis, wtf's a Ackermanis?' ouch.

Originally posted by jod23
Honestly could come down to home ground advantage, if it was at Subi i would be very confident of a win but because its in Adelaide at Football Park then it will be a tough game for the Eagles to get over the line.

I see. Gee, doesn't a win against the Lions rip them out of the woodwork and fill 'em chock-full-o-confidence ??

Port have a far more complete and talented squad than the Coasters, and have been way better over the last season and a bit.

Port easily - here, there, or flippin' anywhere.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by PAfolwr

A lot of teams (Port included ) have been accused of flooding this year.
Technically I suppose that is wrong as originally that meant having 1 or more extra players in your backline.

WC hasn't flooded once this year. Last week the Lions of all teams tried it on us but it didn't work particularly too well. At the moment WC is playing a very open type of footy resulting in high scores for both sides. Anyway should be a good game.

Still I'm tipping Port by 5 goals. Home ground advantage + a better team overall.

Originally posted by Pred

I see. Gee, doesn't a win against the Lions rip them out of the woodwork and fill 'em chock-full-o-confidence ??

Port have a far more complete and talented squad than the Coasters, and have been way better over the last season and a bit.

Port easily - here, there, or flippin' anywhere.....

Well our record at home is 3-0, and although i agree u have a more complete squad you could definately say that about Brisbane. I am tipping West Coast of course, and do believe we can win, but i would definately be tipping us if it were at Subi. I believe we have the midfield to stop your run, the forward line to kick the goals required, and the bacline to at least stop u scoring as much as us

However, i will nit be at all surprised if Port do win, gievn it is in port, and i predict them to finish above us.

Originally posted by Mudholian
Your last week's effort had a fair range of contributors at all parts of the ground. Port at home facing West Coast on a let down with a few players currently playing their best football such as Wilson coming back to the pack might swing it Port's way.

Despite what i said earlier, in all honestly I can't say i'm massively confident of a win,i think so far this season, port's win/loss is not representative of how good they actually are, in fact i think they are going to be one of the major forces come september- I'll be satisfied if we put in a good strong contest. But we can win this, and if we do, well, I'll be even more happy :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back