Who is Hawthorn's greatest rival?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn don't have rivals, or a rival, in the traditional sense. There are many reason for this:

- we don't have a geographic rival (Collingwood/Richmond, St Kilda/South, Freo/WCE, Adel/Port etc);
- our relatively "new" success means that long-term, entrenched hatreds haven't had a chance to develop;
- the club has never cultivated or promoted a certain opposition as its "rival", and as such the supporters don't have a pathological hatred/envy of another club; and
- the nature of the club is a introspective, conservative club. We don't make big statements, we don't blow our own trumpets, and we don't worry too much about the opposition, rather we try to improve ourselves.

So there's no one rival. Most Hawthorn fans will tell you that Carlton is the team they like beating most, but there's no true rivalry there.

Personally, I hate Essendon with a p***ion, but that's got very little to do with Hawthorn and plenty to do with where I grew up.

I voted for Essendon, just because of the battles we had during the 80's and the lack of respect they continue to show us!

But you also make cases for North (ten finals matches in the 70's) and Carlton (DCFC is right, beating them is sweeter then any other club, although Essendon would probably be as great, if not greater at the moment).

Geelong (fantastic battles all through the late 80's and 90's) and Melbourne (similar fan base, ill-fated merger attempt) could also be considered.

But really, do we need a big rival? I'm just happy to dislike every club!

No rival?:eek:

Essendon and our games in the 80's, and now with both of us back nnear the top, has to be seen as a rivalry.

Carlton is NOT the team I would love to beat most, that is Essendon.

I think Richmond also has to be seen as a kind of rivalry, as we always draw big crowds, and there is a 'something' at those games
Don't say, don't think...DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where did u grow up DCFC? I went to primary school in Essendon during the 80's and it was hell being one of the very few Hawk fans. Character building though!

Personally I hate Essendon. That stems from those schoolyard arguments and taunts and the 1985 GF. There is something about Melbourne and Carlton too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back