• Hurley

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Crameri

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Gumbleton

Votes: 17 68.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We defeated quicker side in Collingwood by 46 points. I don't think pace is enough to beat us if opposition sides don't have the clearance machines like we do.

Your probably right, sides cant beat us with pace at the present but my comment was based on your side you predicted for the future that added more talls not the one currently playing that seems to have the balance right.

I have said this time and time again, if you add talls that means you have to take away smalls. Team balance and structure is everything in the modern game. No doubting Gumbleton has played well enough to hold his spot and would probably get a game with every other side but as James Hird said there is going to be unlucky players who will miss out.

Crameri obviously has to not just be the size of a midfielder, but to actually play like midfielder. If he can do his part in real midfield rotations, as guys like Chapman and Johnson do, problem solved.

Exactly, People say oh hes not a key forward because hes not that tall, bullcrap he is one of our key marking forwards and until they change his position and the way he plays he will continue to be so.

Some of you need to look at this a little less literally. It is almost without doubt that if Gumby was added to the preferred forwardline (i.e. the one of earlier this year) without any changed role and output from Crameri, because he seems to be the one most able to adapt, that it would be a failure. I don't think many are seriously suggesting that without some changes, the addition of Gumby would be a particularly good thing.

It probably does seem like nonsense unless you are looking at what it is about Crameri that would enable him to play as a small/mid forward and part time midfielder. I know I've said that it wouldn't require that much of a change from Stew and I suppose that is incorrect because there would be more to his new role than just playing forward.

There is, again, little argument that as it stands Crameri is not an ideal choice to play as a "small" forward as he isn't great defensively but, then again, he is currently playing in the side as a key forward and manic ground level defence is not a hall mark of any key forward I can think of (which I assume is because long and repetitive leading is damn tiring). What sets Crameri apart from the monster key forwards is that he is particularly good at ground level offensively and has a massive running capacity that is as good as any small player.

There is a point here, not just to be pedantic, and it is that when you consider Crameri as a forward and part time midfielder you are hoping that he can apply the strengths that suit him to the role to the other parts of the game, currently less evident, to round him out so that he is a genuine option.

Think it'll also be horses for courses at times through the year....I reckon Gumby will play v. Geelong as small ground, game's under the roof and TRB will want to stretch Geelong defence and ensure Taylor is seriously occupied as a defender. If the game is at the G against a different team then maybe we go smaller for greater mobility.

Part of the evolution of the game I reckon...different players for different teams and conditions as opposed to a set in stone best 22. Eventually clubs will adapt more of a squad mentality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gumby out unfortunately. Need the extra midfield rotation and Crameri is not the man. Talls of Hurley, Crameri and Ryder/Bellcho are the perfect combo up forward.

Don't need Hurley down back when you've got Carlisle destroying number one forwards and Hooker more than holding his own against the second stringer...

What happened to the tried and true practice, of picking the 22 players that fit best into the team.

The remainder can harness their games at VFL level.

Its been done this way for a 100 years.

Honestly have no idea what to do with our wealth of KPs. It's going to have to be a trial and error period for the next while, and I'll just back whatever TRB decide to do with it.

Lost my lid on Gumby though.
Rotate them,and keep them fresh.
Gumby could use a rest this week. Then bring him back next week to give crameri a week off.
Fletch will need a few weeks off through the year, especially playing deeper in to the season this year, so bring pears in periodically, plus once or twice for Carlisle and hooker if no injuries force our hand. Same again for Hille with Ryder and Tbell

Back