Opinion Who is our better midfielder. Jaeger or Dion?

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Having a small (but friendly) debate with some Melbourne supporters about who is a better midfielder, both in the past and present.

We don't want to bring 'potential' into it, because we all know who Jaeger is and what he can be.

I also want to leave Swallow out of this one. Save that argument for another rainy day.

So right now, which of our two boys would get picked first at selection?

--------------------------------------------------------

Personally I have gone with Jaeger. These are my reasons why as posted on the Melbourne board. I know I don't put my words on screen as well as I can speak them, but you get my general point :)

Dion had signs last year with amazing games, but also goes missing for games or even patches.

Jaeger last year, for pretty much 22 games give a solid 4 quarter effort. He may not have had any 35 disposal games, but it's what he does without the ball and his disposal efficiency with it CONSISTENTLY. Was our leading tackler last year (in a debut year) kicked twice as many goals and went in hard and got his own ball a lot more than Dion.

This year same again. The only area Dion is leading in so far is possessions. Jaeger is killing him in contested possessions, averaging more than 7 tackles a game and has popped up to score a goal in every game. Sometimes getting 30+ easy disposals can give off the interpretation of being the best player, but I can assure you now that Jaeger for the past season and a quarter has had much more influence consistently. Unlike Dion he rarely butchers a ball

And we have not even began to talk about potential . . . Hahaha. We are very very lucky to have him.
/QUOTE]

PREETY_FLY

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Suns
Has to be jäger hands down. Dions had more game time then jäger and like u said we already non what jäger can do.

That aside doin has really come Alive this year and is playing some good football.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Has to be jäger hands down. Dions had more game time then jäger and like u said we already non what jäger can do.

That aside doin has really come Alive this year and is playing some good football.

Once converted to English, that was actually a pretty good post :thumbsu:

The King Red would approve :rainbow:

CQSUN

Team Captain
Aug 2, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Actually a pretty tough question, I'd have to say that Jaeger is the better footballer but Dion is a better mid.
No matter where you put Jaeger he will influence the game, he kicks goals, tackles hard, is a strong overhead mark and rarely butchers the ball.
Dion on the other hand, butchers it plenty and misses most of his shots on goal but he gets plenty of go forward in the middle, usually at least halves the stoppages. I'd also say he works better in tight than Jaeger.

PREETY_FLY

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Suns
Christ! Wait till U have kids running around your legs and your trying to write something and make it look as tho you know what writing about !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Actually a pretty tough question, I'd have to say that Jaeger is the better footballer but Dion is a better mid.
No matter where you put Jaeger he will influence the game, he kicks goals, tackles hard, is a strong overhead mark and rarely butchers the ball.
Dion on the other hand, butchers it plenty and misses most of his shots on goal but he gets plenty of go forward in the middle, usually at least halves the stoppages. I'd also say he works better in tight than Jaeger.

Anyone who is good with stats off the top of their head. Inside 50's per game? Who is winning?

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Christ! Wait till U have kids running around your legs and your trying to write something and make it look as tho you know what writing about !

Haha wont be long until little X is running around midfielders legs and kicking goals Ablett style for the SUNS! ;)

Gold Coast *clap clap clap*

PREETY_FLY

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Suns
Wanna b his manager/skills coach?? Lol

PREETY_FLY

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Suns
Haha

It's time for your big comeback. 2015 marks the 10th anniversary >-<

Tho X isn't avaible till 2016 I think

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Set him up on a Jaeger O'Meara like training program.

I wonder how old Jaeger was when he started playing competitive football and whether or not he looked a class above from day 1. Believe it or not in my Vickick days I was my teams best player. I used to play ruck haha

PREETY_FLY

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Suns
I'll have to ask him next time I bump into him

PREETY_FLY

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Suns
Xav maybe tall when his older (from his mums side)
His uncle is tall n nana

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
i'd say prestia is a better accumulator of the footy, yet o'meara is more damaging. don't get me wrong, prestia's high 30's/early 40's possession games are brilliant but if o'meara got 40 touches in a game we would destroy whoever we're playing.

Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Patriots/Colts
Prestia wins a lot of ball but his disposals by foot are pretty abysmal to be honest. Jäger's disposals are a lot better and he can really turn on the speed when he needs to get away. Jäger for me but you could definitely make an argument for both.

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
Having a small (but friendly) debate with some Melbourne supporters about who is a better midfielder, both in the past and present.

We don't want to bring 'potential' into it, because we all know who Jaeger is and what he can be.

I also want to leave Swallow out of this one. Save that argument for another rainy day.

So right now, which of our two boys would get picked first at selection?

--------------------------------------------------------

Personally I have gone with Jaeger. These are my reasons why as posted on the Melbourne board. I know I don't put my words on screen as well as I can speak them, but you get my general point :)
Jaeger 1st every time absolutely! Only have to look @ how well he clicks with his mentor.. :)

Last edited:

Sunfire

All Australian
Mar 29, 2014
QLD
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Definitely have to vote Jaeger. He's been invaluable to us since his debut.

What are your thoughts on Kolla so far SUNS?

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Definitely have to vote Jaeger. He's been invaluable to us since his debut.

What are your thoughts on Kolla so far SUNS?

Looks pretty special. Definitely the right pick at where we got him. Still a little soft at the contests and like Sumner can seem overwhelmed and rush things when he has more time then he thinks. But he has played 3 games of AFL footy. After 2 more pre seasons and 10KG's or so more he is gonna be fantastic.

Jaeger definitely won today out of the 2

Back