• Richmond

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 45 65.2%
  • Essendon

Votes: 19 27.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

When there's a Collingwood game approaching I get a bit more enthusiastic, anxious, agitated as there's some pride at stake. We are playing a rival and, in some way, an equal. I know Collingwood are (the last week aside) performing better as a team and a club, but they seem worthy of our attention. If we beat Collingwood by a point, I'm elated.

To me though, the Bombers are just s**t. A collection of pox faced thugs who are not worthy of our attention. Scum of the earth, a bucket of human waste covered in red and black material. When I find out someone is a Bombers supporter they immediately go down in my estimation, to the point where I don't think I'd employ them, rent them a house or even sell them something, unless the job was s**t, the house was condemned or the goods in question were faulty to the point of being dangerous to humans.

I like beating them by a point but I'd rather 25 goals because then I get to gloat from halfway through the second quarter. I cheer every goal like it was the match winner. Bashing them senseless in the 2011 elimination final was just about my favourite day of the last 15 years. I still prefer to watch it to the '99 Prelim.

WE won '99 by a point but that's resonated for so long because of the importance of the game and their status as run away flag favourites.

The Bombers are not worthy of being our biggest rivals, they don't deserve that recognition.

Melbourne
Not sure if you're joking, but actually Melbourne was our original rival in the 1800s', and I understand it was the first real acknowledged rivalry between league teams. Not quite old enough to have witnessed the fob watch battles and the hurling of ceramic pipes at each other from passing broughams, but that's what I read.

As for today, I'm with MEB. I think I've written in the past that you have to have respect for a rival, and * just doesn't qualify. Magpies for mine.

From the voting, looks like Richmond will finish outside the finals again, despite it being a three way race. Not even hated enough to inspire relevance to the conversation.

I think the Carl Ess rivalry has been weakened by the ASADA fiasco.
In so far as I have hardly any respect at all for *Ess any more, so playing them is bordering on meaningless for me now.
It's like playing with an ant.
They mean nothing to me now.

Richmond - A rivalry that Richmond supporters and media identities try to push and reignite......long dead and buried.

Essendon - More a pure hatred. Think most clubs hate them the most now. Support any other side on TV playing them...would love nothing more than to see these cheating bastards fold..

Collingwood - By far and away our biggest rival..and the biggest and longest rivalry in the AFL. Go back in history and have a look if you're a young supporter. Been some absolute rippers. Respect em but love beating em more than any other. We don't need ANZAC days Dream times etc to build a Blues v Pies match.....this game fills the G for a reason.

Back