Who is Playing for their Career in 2018?

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think signaling those three out is even more premature than this thread.

NRobbo just signed a new contract after a breakout season and the other two have only been on the list two years and aleadt have 24 and 26 games under their belts. Should they be top 5 best and fairest already? Pushing for AA selection even? Cox didnt play all that many games this year. Is he playing for his career next year as well? What about Cutler? Allison? Lyons? Smith?

A little patience please.

Some comprehension issues here.

Do you really think if those three aren’t best 22 by the end of next year they’ll get another contract? Chances are they won’t. They need to cement their positions otherwise they’re coming from a long way back given the amount of talented kids we have on the list. So while they’re not playing for their careers they do need to step up. Similar to Frost but not as dyer a situation. Or even Cutler.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sounds like you're advocating censorship.
I am advocating loyalty from the supporters and not summarizing who will get the chop next year.........the silence is deafening! We dont give a shite about our team just our thoughts n how many likes we will get.

Oct 17, 2012
Midland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I am advocating loyalty from the supporters and not summarizing who will get the chop next year.........the silence is deafening! We dont give a shite about our team just our thoughts n how many likes we will get.
Completely ridiculous.

The whole concept of internet forum are for discussion of topics, Bigfooty is for AFL. :eek:

You should empathise with other posters before making silly comments like "We dont give a shite about our team just our thoughts n how many likes we will get".

You assume far too much.

At the end of the day, you will end up the fool.

LeppaMessiah

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If speculative opinions offend you I don't know how you've lasted on Bigfooty this long. If you don't like people simply conversing about a relatively unfortunate but very real aspect of being a professional athlete, just don't read it.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If speculative opinions offend you I don't know how you've lasted on Bigfooty this long. If you don't like people simply conversing about a relatively unfortunate but very real aspect of being a professional athlete, just don't read it.
Does it offend u that someone thinks ur opinions are shite ?

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some comprehension issues here.

Do you really think if those three aren’t best 22 by the end of next year they’ll get another contract? Chances are they won’t. They need to cement their positions otherwise they’re coming from a long way back given the amount of talented kids we have on the list. So while they’re not playing for their careers they do need to step up. Similar to Frost but not as dyer a situation. Or even Cutler.

Aren't all 3 contracted till the end if 2019? Plenty of time to step up I would have thought.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Aren't all 3 contracted till the end if 2019? Plenty of time to step up I would have thought.

Yeah there is but I’m saying if by this time next year they’re in the same position as Bewick, Paparone and Dawson are in currently then they’ll be in trouble.

So during the course of the next playing year ... an element that you would assume anyone who regularly plays in BigFootyLand would find interesting ... we, as fans, have a tendency to watch the development of our team/players in light of the circumstances/landscape of our footballing world.

Thus we
- are interested in who we might be drafting
- are interested in the development of our recently drafted ones
- are interested in the re-signing of the unsigned ones we really want to keep
- are interested in the continued longevity or our older players
- are interested in the taking the next step aspect of players at all levels
- are interested in our salary cap
- are interested in our sponsors
- are interested in our academy prospects

*and* .... amazingly enough ...

- are interested in who the players are that most need to lift their game / most likely to be under the gun at the end of the year since, by competition law, we are required to lose some of them as we are required to take at least three new ones in the draft.

Sure there may be some over the top commentary but this is certainly not a topic of forbidden realities or shameful secrets. Any player who does not know they are out of contract and not a lock for an extension by now is so far unaware of the circumstances of their professional existence that reading it on here is highly unlikely to pierce the shell they are living in.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There'll always be a few who are overly critical and some who are less than diplomatic with their comments, but those posters will comment in any thread. Selection night and gameday is brutal for tripe.
Perhaps this tread would sit better with you if it were titled "Who needs to improve the most?" . It would sound better than "Who might get the arse", but the posts and comments would remain much the same. Unfortunately, it's a reality that some guys on our list won't make a long career out of AFL. Most of us fully support all the players while they're on our list, but deficiencies of players will always be a talking point.

charles202

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't get the outrage of this thread, the fact is that for new draftees to come in players need to be delisted or traded. That generally means that there will be pressure on those on those who have been around 4plus years who have not cemented a spot in the best 22.
I don't think that anyone on this forum who is a regular contributor wishes anything but the best for all our players but we are talking about the reality of our sport

I would hate to be different to the others!
Vive la différence!

The Over 50’s Clique has opened a more positive version of this discussion topic for you Lazza.

lions2010

Team Captain
Feb 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Full list of un-Contracted players at the end of 2018.
Allen Christensen - 2018
Mitch Robinson - 2018
Hugh McCluggage - 2018
Tom Bell - 2018
Rohan Bewick - 2018
Josh Walker - 2018
Marco Paparone - 2018
Liam Dawson - 2018
Alex Witherden - 2018
Ryan Lester - 2018
Plus Matt Eagles, Hinge and Barrett

With a strong drat in 2018, Lions will need to make at least 5 list spots, ideally 6 depending on player movement.

Therefore the following would be in trouble.

Lester, Bewick, Paparone, Dawson, Bell.

Then potentially one of Christensen, Robinson, Walker.

They could try buy out Frost contract, all depending on salary cap.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
With a strong drat in 2018, Lions will need to make at least 5 list spots, ideally 6 depending on player movement.

l will make an very early call that Christensen, Robinson and Walker will all be here in 2019.
All offer something that few others do in our team. That’s Christensen is a very classy player who can kick goals and provide relief in the midfield, cruelled by a couple of injuries that should be an issue moving forward.

Robinson is hard as nails and we need that guy who can play on the edge but still rack up possessions while playing Accoutnable football and can kicks goals as well.

Walker has become almost indispensable in the current set up, teams can’t afford to have 2 rucks so he can fill that hybrid role and he’s the best forward mark we have. Walker is only 24 and Christensen is 26 so have plenty left. Mitch is only 28 as well and can set an example to the young kids

Last edited:
I don’t mind this thread, but anyone who suggests Lester is “in trouble” is clearly:

a. Clinging tenaciously to their ‘whipping boy’ hoping that he has a bad season so they can be proven right
b. Didn’t watch Brisbane play in 2017
c. Doesn’t really understand AFL football
d. All of the above

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Just because it's a strong draft it doesn't mean we need 6 picks

I think the last 4 you listed are in trouble but I can't see us delisting Lester for a fifth round pick around pick 70.

If one of the other 3 play we'll enough to be worth a decent pick then we have to keep them.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Just because it's a strong draft it doesn't mean we need 6 picks

I think the last 4 you listed are in trouble but I can't see us delisting Lester for a fifth round pick around pick 70.

If one of the other 3 play we'll enough to be worth a decent pick then we have to keep them.
Was going to post something similar. Short of an unexpected trade, I can see us taking 4 picks to the next draft. Unless there's a team out there that wants to trade for Rich, there's no one else on the list I would actively look at trading.

Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was going to post something similar. Short of an unexpected trade, I can see us taking 4 picks to the next draft. Unless there's a team out there that wants to trade for Rich, there's no one else on the list I would actively look at trading.

more likely 2 picks and a very maybe 3rd pick (we have shown we are happy to only take players in the top 25 of the draft) the third pick would be for an academy player or a rookie upgrade

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
First of all we need to resign McCluggage and Witherden and if we don't that's one or two list spots we have already for the superdraft.

The older players are the most under the pump: Bewick, Paparone and Bell. I don't think they're certainties to go, with Paparone and Bell particularly capable of having break out years. Bewick only if he can consistently play at his best.

Dawson has shown a lot at NEAFL and is a strong mark... if he can deal with his nerves I think he could be a valuable player, but it's taking the next step up that is the issue.

Apart from Oscar, all the rookies are on one year contracts and are playing for their careers including Claye Beams and Cian Hanley who haven't been mentioned.

Back