Who is Playing for their Career in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

Same. One couldn't get his body right, one couldn't give a s**t.

Once again we're seeing an absolute pathetic use of words on here.. Honestly, as if he doesn't "give a s**t". If he didn't "give a s**t" he would have never made it onto a list in the first place, or stayed there for this long. Now he may have struggled to be 100% professional (i don't know this for certain but it has been the word) and have done some things not in line with being an AFL professional but thats nowhere near the same as not giving a s**t. Honestly some people around here need to have a good hard look at themselves and how they talk about players. Criticism is fine, but the use of these sorts of words to describe any AFL footballer is utter crap.

You only have to watch the story on Ben Crocker from the pies to realise that players will have things going on in their lives that no-one, not even their teammates, know about. Now this isn't saying that anything like that is happening to Dawson, but it would be a reminder for people to keep some perspective rather than trying to flash a derogatory statement on a person like the above. If you're looking for somewhere to do that the cesspool of human interaction that is twitter is ready and waiting for you.

Once again we're seeing an absolute pathetic use of words on here.. Honestly, as if he doesn't "give a s**t". If he didn't "give a s**t" he would have never made it onto a list in the first place, or stayed there for this long. Now he may have struggled to be 100% professional (i don't know this for certain but it has been the word) and have done some things not in line with being an AFL professional but thats nowhere near the same as not giving a s**t. Honestly some people around here need to have a good hard look at themselves and how they talk about players. Criticism is fine, but the use of these sorts of words to describe any AFL footballer is utter crap.

You only have to watch the story on Ben Crocker from the pies to realise that players will have things going on in their lives that no-one, not even their teammates, know about. Now this isn't saying that anything like that is happening to Dawson, but it would be a reminder for people to keep some perspective rather than trying to flash a derogatory statement on a person like the above. If you're looking for somewhere to do that the cesspool of human interaction that is twitter is ready and waiting for you.

d7a8e3a65b55322f2ae55e1bb55218dc.jpg

In all of Charlie Chaplins films did you ever hear him insult someone?
On the contrary, this from The Tramp
“I'm sorry, but I don't want to be an emperor. That's not my business. I don't want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone if possible; Jew, Gentile, black man, white. We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other's happiness, not by each other's misery. We don't want to hate and despise one another. In this world there is room for everyone, and the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone. The way of life can be free and beautiful, but we have lost the way. Greed has poisoned men's souls, has barricaded the world with hate, has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical; our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost. The airplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men; cries out for universal brotherhood; for the unity of us all. Even now my voice is reaching millions throughout the world, millions of despairing men, women, and little children, victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people. To those who can hear me, I say, do not despair. The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish. Soldiers! Don't give yourselves to brutes, men who despise you, enslave you; who regiment your lives, tell you what to do, what to think and what to feel! Who drill you, diet you, treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder. Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines, you are not cattle, you are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts! You don't hate! Only the unloved hate; the unloved and the unnatural. Soldiers! Don't fight for slavery! Fight for liberty! In the seventeenth chapter of St. Luke, it is written that the kingdom of God is within man, not one man nor a group of men, but in all men! In you! You, the people, have the power, the power to create machines, the power to create happiness! You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure. Then in the name of democracy, let us use that power. Let us all unite. Let us fight for a new world, a decent world that will give men a chance to work, that will give youth a future and old age a security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power. But they lie! They do not fulfill that promise. They never will! Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people. Now let us fight to fulfill that promise. Let us fight to free the world! To do away with national barriers! To do away with greed, with hate and intolerance! Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men's happiness. Soldiers, in the name of democracy, let us all unite!”
Charlie Chaplin

“I'm sorry, but I don't want to be an emperor. That's not my business. I don't want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone if possible; Jew, Gentile, black man, white. We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other's happiness, not by each other's misery. We don't want to hate and despise one another. In this world there is room for everyone, and the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone. The way of life can be free and beautiful, but we have lost the way. Greed has poisoned men's souls, has barricaded the world with hate, has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical; our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost. The airplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men; cries out for universal brotherhood; for the unity of us all. Even now my voice is reaching millions throughout the world, millions of despairing men, women, and little children, victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people. To those who can hear me, I say, do not despair. The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish. Soldiers! Don't give yourselves to brutes, men who despise you, enslave you; who regiment your lives, tell you what to do, what to think and what to feel! Who drill you, diet you, treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder. Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines, you are not cattle, you are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts! You don't hate! Only the unloved hate; the unloved and the unnatural. Soldiers! Don't fight for slavery! Fight for liberty! In the seventeenth chapter of St. Luke, it is written that the kingdom of God is within man, not one man nor a group of men, but in all men! In you! You, the people, have the power, the power to create machines, the power to create happiness! You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure. Then in the name of democracy, let us use that power. Let us all unite. Let us fight for a new world, a decent world that will give men a chance to work, that will give youth a future and old age a security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power. But they lie! They do not fulfill that promise. They never will! Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people. Now let us fight to fulfill that promise. Let us fight to free the world! To do away with national barriers! To do away with greed, with hate and intolerance! Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men's happiness. Soldiers, in the name of democracy, let us all unite!”
Charlie Chaplin

I was making a silent film joke, but you sir chose a great quote!

I'd delete this, but I thinks its more accurate to leave it up illustrating that you have the emotional development of a 6 year old.

I feel he went a bit far in expressing his view but in the end he is right. We have no clue what happens behind closed doors. For all we know a player that we think doesn’t give a s**t actually battles with depression or something similarly troubling. It may be true that the player does not care or have the passion to be a completely professional athlete; however, there are better ways to express a belief that they don’t other than saying they don’t give any shits.

Charlie Chaplin

That's actually from The Great Dictator, his parody of Hitler. It would be rather out of character for The Tramp.

That's actually from The Great Dictator, his parody of Hitler. It would be rather out of character for The Tramp.
The Tramp was a reference to his character not the movie. But The Great Dictator a great movie.:thumbsu:

OOC end of this year, thanks dlanod .

Allen Christensen- Keep, hasn't had a really good crack at it due to injury, will come good.
Mitch Robinson- No brainer, Keep, sets a great example with his intensity.
Josh Walker- Jury out, must step up as the mature KPF we need or he's gone.
Tom Bell- Gone, not good enough for AFL level.
Marco Paparone- Gone.
Liam Dawson- Gone.
Ryan Lester- I would like him gone although I can't see it happening.
Rohan Bewick- Gone.
Matt Eagles (R)- Worth another year, hope he gets a go at senior level.
Jake Barrett (R)- Hard one, showed some good signs last year, needs to get back in the side or he's gone as well.
Mitchell Hinge (R)- Still only young, give him another year and see what happens.
Claye Beams (R)- I like him but times up, too many injuries over the journey.

OOC end of this year, thanks dlanod .

Allen Christensen- Keep, hasn't had a really good crack at it due to injury, will come good.
Mitch Robinson- No brainer, Keep, sets a great example with his intensity.
Josh Walker- Jury out, must step up as the mature KPF we need or he's gone.
Tom Bell- Gone, not good enough for AFL level.
Marco Paparone- Gone.
Liam Dawson- Gone.
Ryan Lester- I would like him gone although I can't see it happening.
Rohan Bewick- Gone.
Matt Eagles (R)- Worth another year, hope he gets a go at senior level.
Jake Barrett (R)- Hard one, showed some good signs last year, needs to get back in the side or he's gone as well.
Mitchell Hinge (R)- Still only young, give him another year and see what happens.
Claye Beams (R)- I like him but times up, too many injuries over the journey.

Why does Eagles (28) get another year and not Paparone who finally returned to the field and is playing well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does Eagles (28) get another year and not Paparone who finally returned to the field and is playing well?
Matty is a late starter to this level of football (2nd Year) and has shown plenty from the vision I have seen and games I have been to. Marco is in his 6th year at AFL level and is another one of our all too many "shows glimpses but not enough consistency" brigade.

Matty is a late starter to this level of football (2nd Year) and has shown plenty from the vision I have seen and games I have been to. Marco is in his 6th year at AFL level and is another one of our all too many "shows glimpses but not enough consistency" brigade.

I'd say Marco found consistency before being injured for the better part of two years. Fair enough though, I'd personally like them both extended for a year.

Jake Barrett has probably earned an extension, but Bell, Bewick, Paparone and Dawson still haven't done enough and all look gone with only 4 games left.

I had a look at the ages of our OOC players and I didn't realize that Claye Beams is still only 26 years old, he has had one of his best seasons re injury and form(albeit in the 2s), hopefully he gets through to the end of the season injury free. If so I'd be for giving him another year, he's a classy ball user at his best.

Jake Barrett has probably earned an extension, but Bell, Bewick, Paparone and Dawson still haven't done enough and all look gone with only 4 games left.
Given he has played a number of senior games recently you would think so. Dawson might be a chance to be rookied depending on how many others we cut.

I had a look at the ages of our OOC players and I didn't realize that Claye Beams is still only 26 years old, he has had one of his best seasons re injury and form(albeit in the 2s), hopefully he gets through to the end of the season injury free. If so I'd be for giving him another year, he's a classy ball user at his best.

Disagree on Barrett. Really hope we cut him lose. Is clearly not up to it.

Disagree on Barrett. Really hope we cut him lose. Is clearly not up to it.
Agree, it was more what I think will happen with a dash of my opinion thrown in. If it was purely up to me I'd be for letting Barrett go.

I've always been positive re the potential of Liam Dawson and the bits I've seen of him in the NEAFL he has looked OK, but I think he's gone.

Dawson has only played one game in the seniors in the last two seasons. His form in the twos has been pretty faultless and he’s only 22. He is one of the best marks we have and has the potential to be a third tall forward at 189cm, as well a close checking and intercept marking defender. What he did 2 years or more in the past is now irrelevant. He deserves an opportunity this year or at the very least a rookie contract next year. Hopefully he’ll get one or the other and in my view it’s an indictment on our system if he isn’t given another chance. Is also ahead of Mitch Hinge in development and potential for mine.

Agree, it was more what I think will happen with a dash of my opinion thrown in. If it was purely up to me I'd be for letting Barrett go.

I've always been positive re the potential of Liam Dawson and the bits I've seen of him in the NEAFL he has looked OK, but I think he's gone.

Might get another chance if we delist Beams and upgrade O.

I thought Dawson would thrive under Fagan because his kicking (check his roster thread for a post early last year).

But it should be clear to everybody that he's not doing what the coaches want to promote him and that he will be delisted.

Dawson has only played one game in the seniors in the last two seasons. His form in the twos has been pretty faultless and he’s only 22. He is one of the best marks we have and has the potential to be a third tall forward at 189cm, as well a close checking and intercept marking defender. What he did 2 years or more in the past is now irrelevant. He deserves an opportunity this year or at the very least a rookie contract next year. Hopefully he’ll get one or the other and in my view it’s an indictment on our system if he isn’t given another chance. Is also ahead of Mitch Hinge in development and potential for mine.

If he was as you describe he'd be getting games but clearly those at the club don't agree

Might get another chance if we delist Beams and upgrade O.

I thought Dawson would thrive under Fagan because his kicking (check his roster thread for a post early last year).

But it should be clear to everybody that he's not doing what the coaches want to promote him and that he will be delisted.

You're incorrect and making an assumption based of your own opinion and not fact. Noble said at the fan Forum Liam's form has been good but what's held him out of the seniors is he is competing for roles against Robertson, Hodge, Gardiner and Lester. While he's been probably our best non mid in the reserves all year, he's simply depth in the one part of the ground we have an abundance of depth in. No guarantee he'll be delisted, and even if he is, there's no guarantee he won't end up on another teams rookie list.

You're incorrect and making an assumption based of your own opinion and not fact. Noble said at the fan Forum Liam's form has been good but what's held him out of the seniors is he is competing for roles against Robertson, Hodge, Gardiner and Lester. While he's been probably our best non mid in the reserves all year, he's simply depth in the one part of the ground we have an abundance of depth in. No guarantee he'll be delisted, and even if he is, there's no guarantee he won't end up on another teams rookie list.

Would he say if he's just not up to it?

If he's 10th or 11th in line to play as a Backman but still good enough to make it at AFL level; why not see if he's good enough to play in other positions?

If he's behind Gardiner, Witherden, Robertson, Hodge, Rich, Lester, Mayes and Cox then he's not going to get a crack unless he does something amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back