List Mgmt. Who is playing for their careers? 2019 edition.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Our team is crying out for a Cutler type of player, which we have and refuse to utilise. In our top 10 players and Fagan refuses to play in favour of countless pets. I’d rather Cutler be contracted and Fagan delisted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jason pm

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2015
Omnipresent.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fortitude Valley Diehards. Chelsea.
Our team is crying out for a Cutler type of player, which we have and refuse to utilise. In our top 10 players and Fagan refuses to play in favour of countless pets. I’d rather Cutler be contracted and Fagan delisted.
I don't know whether to

or

trikster

All Australian
Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
I wondered how you were related to Cutler, and I think I've finally worked it out.

Hi Tom!

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There aren’t many key position players out of contract. Expect McStay is going to play out the season knowing he has a solid offer from us but hoping to up his asking price with a good finish to the season and maybe being able to say he’s had serious offers from other clubs. But confident he’ll stay.

I’m wondering if Martin has told the club he is retiring after this season. That could explain why smith was just extended for 2 years and has been given a run in the seniors.

Lyons/skinner/Keays the hardest to call whether they will get another year. Haven’t done much at senior level but showing promise in reserves. Club will have all the metrics to determine if they are showing any elite capability to justify getting another year even if they don’t get much senior action for rest of season.

BangyBangy

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
tenor.gif

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I hope you’re right and he is doing enough to deserve 2 years.

I haven’t watched much of the reserves maybe 2 full games on YouTube, but the thing about Skinner is he is now 22 and 4 years on the list. He doesn’t seem to be getting in the best or listed as an emergency like Wooler, ballenden, and maybe doesn’t have the upside and comparative inexperience of Payne and Fullarton.

We have invested a lot but also need to consider if it’s worth holding a list spot longer for a 22yo with 2 afl games with potentially 3/4 younger players ahead of him and 2/3 more experienced players (Adams/walker) on the list as insurance. And it’s not like any of our kpp in the team are close to retirement.

It might make sense to move him on (or rookie him in place of eagles) and get a younger kpp in through the draft to develop.

scoman

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I hope the turnover this year is limited to 6 or 7. We are fairly stable now as a club and the days of turning over big numbers should be behind us.

I hope Keays can get another crack and an extended run but I'm not sure it's going to happen.

I'm with Dylan on Cutler. He will leave for sure and our coaching staff will talk about trying to add a pacy athletic outside midfielder to the list during the trade/draft period.

I think Skinner and Lester remain on the list but Basti and Christensen are gone as well as Eagles. It wouldn't suprise me to see three retirements in Hodge, Martin and Christensen.

trikster

All Australian
Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
I hope you’re right and he is doing enough to deserve 2 years.
I haven’t watched much of the reserves maybe 2 full games on YouTube, but the thing about Skinner is he is now 22 and 4 years on the list. He doesn’t seem to be getting in the best or listed as an emergency like Wooler, ballenden, and maybe doesn’t have the upside and comparative inexperience of Payne and Fullarton.
We have invested a lot but also need to consider if it’s worth holding a list spot longer for a 22yo with 2 afl games with potentially 3/4 younger players ahead of him and 2/3 more experienced players (Adams/walker) on the list as insurance. And it’s not like any of our kpp in the team are close to retirement.
It might make sense to move him on (or rookie him in place of eagles) and get a younger kpp in through the draft to develop.
Off the top of my head and very quick searches (so if someone knows better happy to be corrected) :
* he missed the start of 2016 recovering from an injury sustained during the U18's (broken leg or first ACL?)
* late 2016 did an ACL
* 2017 again ACL in same leg

So while he has been on the list for 4 years, he has only really had a clear run at it from the start of this year. I would absolutely rookie him at a minimum if we can't find room for him on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
I hope the turnover this year is limited to 6 or 7. We are fairly stable now as a club and the days of turning over big numbers should be behind us.

I hope Keays can get another crack and an extended run but I'm not sure it's going to happen.

I'm with Dylan on Cutler. He will leave for sure and our coaching staff will talk about trying to add a pacy athletic outside midfielder to the list during the trade/draft period.

I think Skinner and Lester remain on the list but Basti and Christensen are gone as well as Eagles. It wouldn't suprise me to see three retirements in Hodge, Martin and Christensen.
As long as we have young kids and unproven draftees on the list, we will see significant turnover. Expect Keays to go, Bundy retires and gets a position within the club, similarly with Eagles. Martin and Hodge retire, Cutler gets traded (I think this is a mistake as Cutler is good) and Bastinac gets delisted then picked by by Carlton.

Lewy gets given one more year and told to cement his spot in the side, Lester becomes the new, lesser Hodge type player, Walker gets kept and the younger blokes who have not featured much in the seniors for years have questions marks over them.

davemc_lions

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With Payne and Skinner they both missed a lot of footy. Probably need a full year in the NEAFL to get on their feet again.
Maybe end of the year one of them got their footy game going. Big men take longer when they missed a heap of footy it will take longer still.
Joyce, Starc and Adams in the same camp they lost a lot of footy.
Joyce and Starc seem to be coming along hope Adams get on the park.

Top Bottom