List Mgmt. Who is playing for their careers? 2019 edition.

Remove this Banner Ad

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Lot of players OOC at the end of 2019. Who is likely to go? Who is likely to get an extension? IMO.

2019:
Ryan Bastinac- Can't see him getting out of the NEAFL unless we have an extensive injury list, gone.
Stefan Martin- This is a hard one, he's 32 this month, could retire or get one extra year, safe.
Rhys Mathieson- Lot of pressure on Rhys in 2019 with Neale and Lyons Snr coming in playing similar roles, if he plays most of the season in the NEAFL probably gone.
Lewis Taylor- I'm a fan of Lewy, I think he'll get an extension before the season starts.
Tom Cutler- Extension before the season starts.
Ben Keays- Virtually no chance to be on the list in 2020.
Sam Skinner- Bullish on Sam, he'll get at least another year unless > don't mention the knee.
Daniel McStay- Extension before the season starts.
Nicholas Robertson- Great team man, coaches love him should get an extension.
Corey Lyons- Has to get some time in the seniors in 2019 or he's gone.
Connor Ballenden- Will be persisted with come what may, big men take a while.
Luke Hodge- Will retire and move into a coaching role, hopefully with us.
Tom Fullarton (R)- Will be persisted with.
Allen Christensen- I like Allen at his best, has had a bad run with injury, IMO best 22 if fit and firing.
Matt Eagles (R)- Key position depth, barring a miracle will be gone.
Mitchell Hinge (R)- Similar to Corey Lyons, needs some senior time to show what hes got or gone.
Mitch Robinson- Another hard one to get a feel for, like him for the example he sets but could just as easily be let go.
Josh Walker- Make or break year for Josh's AFL journey, needs to cement a spot somewhere, could be kept as key position depth.
Ryan Lester- Good role player/depth, I'd keep on even if it's just in a player/coach role in the NEAFL.

Sticking my neck out early, me prediction is-
Delisted- Ryan Bastinac, Ben Keays, Corey Lyons, Matt Eagles, Mitchell Hinge.
Under immense pressure- Josh Walker, Mitch Robinson, Ryan Lester, Rhys Matheison.
Will be kept- Lewy Taylor, Tom Cutler, Daniel McStay, Sam Skinner, Nick Robertson, Connor Ballenden, Tom Fullarton, Allen Christensen.
Retire- Luke Hodge. Stefan Martin??

Reckon Stef has got a bit left in him, he’s in excellent physical condition and hasn’t shown any signs of slowing. Will be on list 2020.

Just quietly I think he was showing signs of slowing down and having O in the team masked that a bit.

marooned

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just quietly I think he was showing signs of slowing down and having O in the team masked that a bit.
Have to agree with this.I think his game is working over oppos ruck as he gets older this is going to be harder for him.Could be his last year before retirement.

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I feel like it’s gonna be either Skinner or Walker by year’s end. If Skinner stays healthy then he can replace Walkers role as he has a lot more potential to go further, but if he goes down again I don’t think he will stay on the list.

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
Disagree with the guys under pressure, agree with the delistings.

Steph looks like he has 3-4 years left in him. Oscar takes over from him because he’ll need AFL experience if he is to ever replace him. Walker and Mathieson will be kept for depth. If we get more high level players through trades they may be gone. Robinson will be kept, is a core part of the playing group.

Only one there under pressure that would be gone at this stage is Lester, but he's only gone from AFL level. See him becoming part of the coaching staff or NEAFL coaching player.

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Reasonable summary.

Given walker, Christensen, Lester and Robinson got one year deals this year you’d think they’re all on notice that depending on list spot availability, list balance, rise and fall of the kids any year from now could be their last.

I dont disagree too much with the OP list but its still a large amount of turnover. How many players would we see off the list in an average year? 4-6?
Taking into account delistings, trades, retirements and demotions to the rookie list, this year, the average would be in the 10-12 range. Essendon have the fewest list changes so far this year with 6.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Taking into account delistings, trades, retirements and demotions to the rookie list, this year, the average would be in the 10-12 range. Essendon have the fewest list changes so far this year with 6.
Higher than I thought. Though I kinda assumed trades in and out would roughly cancel out most years.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I’d expect list turnover to possibly slow down in 2020 or 2021.

But we’ll have the likes of Rich, Martin, Robinson coming to the end of their careers then, so it still might be around 6 per year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lions2010

Team Captain
Feb 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Reasonable summary.

Given walker, Christensen, Lester and Robinson got one year deals this year you’d think they’re all on notice that depending on list spot availability, list balance, rise and fall of the kids any year from now could be their last.

I think its easy next year.
Delistee : Walker, Christensen, Lester, Robinson, Bastinak and Hodge.

I think its easy next year.
Delistee : Walker, Christensen, Lester, Robinson, Bastinak and Hodge.
I think Hodge might retire, hey!o_O
I really don’t think we will delist one of the best Captains the game has ever seen!:drunk:
Be the ultimate slap in the face wouldn’t it?:(
Thanks Hodgey! But!!!!!

I think Hodge might retire, hey!o_O
I really don’t think we will delist one of the best Captains the game has ever seen!:drunk:
Be the ultimate slap in the face wouldn’t it?:(
Thanks Hodgey! But!!!!!

Toss him in the garbage heap I say.

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
Sticking my neck out early, me prediction is-
Delisted- Ryan Bastinac, Ben Keays, Corey Lyons, Matt Eagles, Mitchell Hinge.
Under immense pressure- Josh Walker, Mitch Robinson, Ryan Lester, Rhys Matheison.
Will be kept- Lewy Taylor, Tom Cutler, Daniel McStay, Sam Skinner, Nick Robertson, Connor Ballenden, Tom Fullarton, Allen Christensen.
Retire- Luke Hodge. Stefan Martin??

Delisted- Ryan Bastinac (no-brainer), Matt Eagles (pushed out by younger talls), Mitchell Hinge, Mitch Robinson, Ryan Lester (move in to Whitecross type role of player/coach in NEAFL)
Under immense pressure- Josh Walke (see Matt Eagles), Rhys Matheison (has been bumped down the depth chart), Ben Keays (needs to define a role and hold it otherwise too many will move past him), Corey Lyons (Bailey/Starc ahead of him, probably Keays also, plus draft picks and traded players coming in).
Will be kept- Lewy Taylor, Tom Cutler, Daniel McStay, Sam Skinner, Nick Robertson, Connor Ballenden, Tom Fullarton, Allen Christensen, Stef Martin (probably on 1 year deals from now on which is fine at his age, got 2 more left I reckon)
Retire- Luke Hodge

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I get the feeling Martin could go until he is 35/36. Not many injuries in recent years and he started his career late. He will hang around as long as he can for a chance at success with us imo.
Stef is a Lawyer, a career after football assured. While you'r right with his fitness he could go into his mid 30's but I'd think he will take earlier leave if this isn't his last then only a real shot at a premiership will keep him around.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’d expect list turnover to possibly slow down in 2020 or 2021.

But we’ll have the likes of Rich, Martin, Robinson coming to the end of their careers then, so it still might be around 6 per year.
I think your right in the turnover will be a bit slower now. I think in some clubs the difference between the top players, say the top 10 and the bottom 10 is enormous. Even the top half of the list and the bottom half. It's one of the things with sustained success you end up keeping the really good players and the up and comers leave for opportunity. (e.g. GWS this year, Lions 2001 -2004) The Lions, I think have a much more even spread at this stage, no real elite players (Beams gone, need to see Neale in his new side) Lots will potentially take that step but as yet we are pretty even across the board which is great as the pressure for spots is higher. Anyone can jump out of the pack and the step from reserves to firsts, it isn't that big a step and the step from a grade to elite for some wont be that much either. A good season of intense pressure for all positions has the ability to lift the whole group and thats a very good thing.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Will Ryan Bastinac be just marking time to his inevitable delisting at the end of 2019 or can he save his career? He turns 28 mid next season I'd say he is at long odds to be on our list in 2020.

I'll have $2 on that Dlions. That's $400 to $2. It's a bet! Can I have another $3 on it?
Bastinac will Captain the NEAFL side to a Premiership 2019 & will remain on the rookie list for 2020 & Captain NEAFL again. He has the potential to transition into a Coaching role at the Club. Lester is the only danger of squeezing him out of this role.
So you think he will be on our playing list in 2020??

BigCat2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'll have $2 on that Dlions. That's $400 to $2. It's a bet! Can I have another $3 on it?
Bastinac will Captain the NEAFL side to a Premiership 2019 & will remain on the rookie list for 2020 & Captain NEAFL again. He has the potential to transition into a Coaching role at the Club. Lester is the only danger of squeezing him out of this role.
He's a senior, experienced player, but I haven't heard too many reports about his leadership. Not sure he's shown many signs of leadership or coaching attributes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back