List Mgmt. Who is playing for their careers? 2019 edition.

Don't worry about the other $3 bet. $2 will do. IIRC he was one of 4 senior players who basically had the reigns thrown to them last season (after the slump?) to lead the NEAFL Team. I believe it was Beams, Bewick, Bell & Bastinac. Basti is the only one left. He was almost exclusively NEAFL. He's got an older melon on his shoulders, reads the play well, can run both ways & gets to the right spots. I can see him being recalled for 1 or 2 games next season...... surprise inclusion off 42 touches in the NEAFL :)
Does that get thrown back the other way when he gets delisted?

You've already had huge fun putting up 200/1 Bastinac being at the Club 2020. You were claimed. You stand to win an additional $2 for the thrill you got putting up 200-1. You were the one putting 200/1 out there. Do you understand what betting is? If your under 18, let that be a lesson. If your over 18, your behaving like your under 18. Either way, I advise you to never offer odds on anything or bet on pool, in a pub. Just leave those odds, that are floating around in your head, in your head.
OK, no bet. You got your cheap 200/1 thrill for free.
In case you haven’t realised?
I haven’t ‘put up’ anything!

jason pm said:
Will Ryan Bastinac be just marking time to

To which you answered the very next post;

Good luck in the grown ups world with your big mouth.
Haha!
Well someone certainly is acting like a child!
If I really need to explain my original post:
Here is the other part of jason pm’s post - “I'd say he is at long odds to be on our list in 2020.”
To which I replied “200-1”. Sooo!
“IMO Ryan Bastinac is a 200-1 chance to be on the list in 2020.”
I was never offering odds to anyone as I am not a licensed Bookie.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I gave you sound advice about calling out odds. You grin like an idiot. Whether it be odds to make a pool shot, the result of a shot at goal in a footy match that's on telly, what ever. If you sprout your mouth off at a pub, at the races etc. etc. at some stage some one will put up cash & hold you to it. If you quarrelled you'd cop one in the chops at least. Not very nice. Just trying to save a foolhardy Lions from a bad situation when they grow up.
200/1 What a goose hahaha.
dlanod, really , your encouraging this kid to continue with that type of behaviour? Are you in school too?
Stop acting like a dick.

I gave you sound advice about calling out odds. You grin like an idiot. Whether it be odds to make a pool shot, the result of a shot at goal in a footy match that's on telly, what ever. If you sprout your mouth off at a pub, at the races etc. etc. at some stage some one will put up cash & hold you to it. If you quarrelled you'd cop one in the chops at least. Not very nice. Just trying to save a foolhardy Lions from a bad situation when they grow up.
dlanod, really , your encouraging this kid to continue with that type of behaviour? Are you in school too?
And it is me who is the kid?

Mate, you're the one telling people on an online forum they'll get punched in the face because they made an off-hand comment containing odds. I'm not sure you're aware how a discussion forum works, but throwing around insults and trying to claim that people would hit a poster is a great way to get yourself moved on.

This isn't a pub or at the races or anywhere else. We expect a base level of politeness, so have a read of https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/mod-announcements-please-read-latest-posts.386599/ if you have any doubts.

Last edited:

Crawb

Norm Smith Medallist
SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Christensen, Robinson, Martin, Robertson, Cutler & Taylor are all out of contract, but given likely form they'll be safe and easily given contracts.

Hodge, Walker, McStay, Lester, Bastinac & Eagles are older players and therefore really have to deliver to ensure a spot if they want to go on in 2020 (might be a little harsh to include McStay here - think he'd still get a 2020 deal on potential unless he is terrible next year).

Keays, Skinner, Mathieson, Ballenden, CLyons & Hinge are the younger fringe players out of contract. Think Mathieson is an obvious resigning, but the rest will need to deliver.

Meaningless prediction: Hodge (ret), Keays, CLyons, Bastinac, Eagles, Hinge delisted. Lester re-rookied.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’m in the camp too; I still have high hopes for Ben.

Agreed, Queenslanders seem to take just a bit longer to blossom Robert Copeland, Josh Drummond, Zorko. Ben Keays is as tough as they come, played his Junior footy 2 years above his age so he was in the same team as his older brother which his dad coached. Having watch him since a little kid the only think I don't like is that at the point of impact when he is kicking he drops his head where you often see the top players instinctually keep their eye on the target and just place the ball on their foot.

Dedicated, popular, tough - worth persisting.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think going into a season there are always some players that are obviously on their last year, some heading into retirement (Hodge) and some the game/team has passed by (Bastinac). I think the trade and draft period is for us now is about filling needs as apposed to just taking talent although still important. Across a season lots of things come into play like severe injuries e.g. If Skinner did another knee. We also have some great young players that haven't really found their true spot on the field e.g. will withered make a mid fielder, where will Zac Baily fit. I think we have such talent in the younger bracket and competition for spots that we will see some belters come through. We also have good stocks in our talls and they are starting to get to the age and body shape to get the confidence to step up. For me, this is one season I'm excited about for the young players we might have assumed are NEAFL bound. Basti and Lester play such an important role with the NEAFL team and we need it playing well and the kids playing our game plan, hence strong leadership and on field coaching. Lester the hodge of the NEAFL. Let's go boys, no death riding, what a position to be in at the end of the season with only retirees being the obvious outs.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
He's a senior, experienced player, but I haven't heard too many reports about his leadership. Not sure he's shown many signs of leadership or coaching attributes.

Here are some recent reports from lions.com.au you might find interesting on Bastinac. He has shown leadership, coaching attributes & with a joint B&F, you can include good form. It would help to understand, with Bastinac, his second season with the Lions (first under Fagan) represented a third game plan in three years for the guy. That's gotta be extremely difficult for a player. I don't reckon he's had much of a chance to settle in properly. He only had 2 Senior games last season and played good footy in the NEAFL. The Club have invested in him for a reason. The Stewards of the Lions Footy Dept. are smart. They give a great vibe, they're "go getteres", they have achieved positive change already & it's all a rather nice change.
Bastinac, age wise, is at the peak of his football smarts. He's still rates highly as a runner at the club. Would love to see him force his way into the Seniors again & tear it up! Imo he's a classy outside mid/clearance player & we have plenty of inside ball players now. It would be a good Cinderella Story.
NEAFL: A year of learning for the Lions
Michael Gosman
Sep 7, 2018 9:30AM

“We came to a really challenging part of the season after Round 7 when we ended up losing six games in a row,” Hahn said.

“We as the coaches had numerous discussions because we thought if we had played our best footy we should have won.

“What we ended up doing was giving our experienced players like Claye Beams, Rohan Bewick, Ryan Bastinac and Corey Lyon ownership of the team.

“They started to buy into the process and do the reviews and opposition analysis. That certainly helped.”

2018 NEAFL Season Review
Jess Webster, NEAFL.com.au
Oct 22, 2018 2:34PM

"The Lions NEAFL side had a four-way tie for the Club's Reserve's Best and Fairest Award -the Neville Fallon Award - this year with Claye Beams, Ryan Bastinac, Ben Keays and Corey Lyons all starring throughout the season."

Last edited:
Morning BigCat2, Football Pope & jackess et al. here's some recent reports from lions.com.au you might find interesting on Bastinac. He has shown leadership, coaching attributes & with a joint B&F, you can include good form. It would help to understand, with Bastinac, his second season with the Lions (first under Fagan) represented a third game plan in three years for the guy. That's gotta be extremely difficult for a player. I don't reckon he's had much of a chance to settle in properly. He only had 2 Senior games last season and played good footy in the NEAFL. The Club have invested in him for a reason. The Stewards of the Lions Footy Dept. are smart. They give a great vibe, they're "go getteres", they have achieved positive change already & it's all a rather nice change.
Bastinac, age wise, is at the peak of his football smarts. He's still rates highly as a runner at the club. Would love to see him force his way into the Seniors again & tear it up! Imo he's a classy outside mid/clearance player & we have plenty of inside ball players now. It would be a good Cinderella Story.
NEAFL: A year of learning for the Lions
Michael Gosman
Sep 7, 2018 9:30AM

“We came to a really challenging part of the season after Round 7 when we ended up losing six games in a row,” Hahn said.

“We as the coaches had numerous discussions because we thought if we had played our best footy we should have won.

“What we ended up doing was giving our experienced players like Claye Beams, Rohan Bewick, Ryan Bastinac and Corey Lyon ownership of the team.

“They started to buy into the process and do the reviews and opposition analysis. That certainly helped.”

2018 NEAFL Season Review
Jess Webster, NEAFL.com.au
Oct 22, 2018 2:34PM

"The Lions NEAFL side had a four-way tie for the Club's Reserve's Best and Fairest Award -the Neville Fallon Award - this year with Claye Beams, Ryan Bastinac, Ben Keays and Corey Lyons all starring throughout the season."
Ryan Bastinac is a 27 yr old, 28 next year, who is stuck in the NEAFL.
This alone is not a great sign.
And really not carving it up at that level. And when he did get a game in the seniors this year looked slow and out of position and had lost all confidence in himself. And looked lost as a result.
The fact that he has just been sent back to the rookie list and being out of contract at the end of next year does not bode well.

Also from your article posted above -

Clearly states that Basty and others were “asked” to step up as the experienced players in the NEAFL.
This does not show a Natural leadership ability when you are having to be asked to do something because you aren’t already.
2 of the blokes listed in that article have since been delisted (because they were out of contract)?????

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Worth having a look at this again after a couple of practice matches and another one on Saturday. Very interesting list of OOC players, a few of them are-

Rhys Matheison- From reports re JLT1 seems to have embraced the challenge.
Ben Keays- Can he make a go of the small forward role he's training for?
Ryan Bastinac- Got some good reviews for JLT1 display
Nick Robertson- Listed as 2-3 weeks away with a hamstring.
Tom Cutler- Come on Tom step up, we need your type of player.
Stef Martin- Not that I see it happening but will probably retire if Archie and the Big O go past him this year.
Dan McStay- It's time Dan.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Worth having a look at this again after a couple of practice matches and another one on Saturday. Very interesting list of OOC players, a few of them are-

Rhys Matheison- From reports re JLT1 seems to have embraced the challenge.
Ben Keays- Can he make a go of the small forward role he's training for?
Ryan Bastinac- Got some good reviews for JLT1 display
Nick Robertson- Listed as 2-3 weeks away with a hamstring.
Tom Cutler- Come on Tom step up, we need your type of player.
Stef Martin- Not that I see it happening but will probably retire if Archie and the Big O go past him this year.
Dan McStay- It's time Dan.
For me, purely looking at our current draft picks, I be looking at 5 list spots for this years draft.

Hodge will retire, so four de-listings from the main list.

Keays, C.Lyons and Lester are the obvious ones to me. With one more from Walker, Robinson, Christensen, and possibly McStay.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
For me, purely looking at our current draft picks, I be looking at 5 list spots for this years draft.

Keays, C.Lyons and Lester are the obvious ones to me. With one more from Walker, Robinson, Christensen, and possibly McStay.
You have it just about spot on, I don't think Christensen gets delisted unless he has a terrible year with injury again though, really good player when fit IMO. Also Matty Eagles OOC so needs an exceptional year in the NEAFL to be kept on as depth, at this point in time I can't see him grabbing a key defensive spot.

Mitch Robinson?? De list candidate?

BigCat2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

We have many third year rookies who will need to be promoted or delisted so will put further lost spot pressures.

Mcinerney will get promoted. Maybe Hinge too.

fanackapan

All Australian
Aug 4, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Hinge, Bastinac and maybe Eagles should be in the discussion too, I would have thought.

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL

Don't think Lester will get the boot just yet. Depends on who we get in the next draft/trade period. He doesn't have the speed, but can play for time and can soccer a mean one off to a teammate when needed. If he is delisted, I can see him becoming a coach or some other role at the club. He's been a great servant for the club.

Robinson might be that presence we're looking for in the forward line. I'd replace McStay at this point for either Walker or Robinson in that forward line, at least until we can get Fullerton on the park as a lock. Robinson still has at least a couple of years left in him providing he doesn't get injured.

Christenson gets at least one more year as he can be used anywhere on the ground pretty well. Guaranteed to get a role at the club given his indigenous activism.

McStay needs to have a good year or he's out. We've got too much competition in that backline and I rate the kids and Robertson more than I do McStay. Great field kick, but if he ain't a forward he's out.

Walker revived his career last season and I'd prefer Walker to McStay if the last JLT game was anything to go by. Walker also allows us to move a lot of players around the ground when needed.

C. Lyons is gone, can't even get a game. Could be picked up by another club as a punt.

Hinge is probs gone.

Bastinac is still gone for me, might change my mind once the new rules get tested in the proper season and he gets a crack.

Eagles is gone, but he's loved so much by a lot of fans so I see him getting some kind of role at the club.

Keays is dependent on if he can play forward well. If he can he gets a lifeline, if he can't he's out.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think a few are jumping the gun on McStay. Perhaps the embarrassing missed goals last year are lingering in the memory. The guy is 24 now and we have pumped a heap of development into him. He is our leading contested mark by some margin and already looks more than capable of kicking 30 plus goals if he plays a full season. I'm not sure why we would turf him now and start again with one of the 19 year Olds?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
We have many third year rookies who will need to be promoted or delisted so will put further lost spot pressures.

Mcinerney will get promoted. Maybe Hinge too.
Yup. I can see some list juggling going on between the rookie list and senior list. Kids like Skinner and Payne moved to the rookie list while they get on top of their injuries, opening up a list spot for McInerney for a start.

Hinge is a mystery to me. Like C.Lyons, if he can't crack the senior rotation at some point this season, do we keep him on for another year of development?

You have it just about spot on, I don't think Christensen gets delisted unless he has a terrible year with injury again though, really good player when fit IMO. Also Matty Eagles OOC so needs an exceptional year in the NEAFL to be kept on as depth, at this point in time I can't see him grabbing a key defensive spot.

Mitch Robinson?? De list candidate?
Has Eagles been studying anything during his time at the club? I can see him in a strength and conditioning role.

I'm a big fan of Mitch Robinson as a pressure small forward who can kick a goal, and he'd be on the bench for me. But I'm not sure the powers that be rate him as highly as many of us fans do.

Currently we have look to have a late-ish first round pick from Collingwood, an early second round pick from GC, our second round pick, and two third round picks. If, and it's a big if, we keep our current picks and don't trade anyone in next trade period, I would imagine those third rounders might be used on a couple of academy kids if they are there-a-bouts.

For me, I'm thinking more and more we need another genuine KPF. Wether Fullerton, Ballenden or Wooller step up this year remains to be seen, but if their was a likely KPF prospect available with one of our first two picks, I'd be all for drafting another tall. Then look for outside run and/or run from defence, a general defender or possibly another small forward with our other two early picks, depending on what type of players/positions we look to have coming from the academy this year.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think a few are jumping the gun on McStay. Perhaps the embarrassing missed goals last year are lingering in the memory. The guy is 24 now and we have pumped a heap of development into him. He is our leading contested mark by some margin and already looks more than capable of kicking 30 plus goals if he plays a full season. I'm not sure why we would turf him now and start again with one of the 19 year Olds?
Yep, we have done a heap of development and time in him, no reason to turf him now when he is in the age bracket to have a break out year.

Back