List Mgmt. Who is playing for their careers? 2019 edition.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep, we have done a heap of development and time in him, no reason to turf him now when he is in the age bracket to have a break out year.

On the flipside he would probably benefit from a change of scenery and might seek a trade. Hopefully he won't.

Treat Yo Self

Draftee
Mar 8, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think the big surprise will be Stef. With all reports about Archie coming on really well, he may not be in the best 22 at various times in the year. Big O plays reasonable as a forward, something Stef has traditionally struggled with. Having said that, it is a good position to be in and one we haven't had for some time.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Think Keays, CLyons, Hinge, and Eagles are the players in trouble the most.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep agree. Keays has been on our list a fair bit and hasn't done too much.
CLyons, hasn't debuted and doesn't look like debuting with a fair few in front of him.
Hinge, we have been developing him a long time but he hasn't really dominated 2's for him to be included.
Eagles l think we just havw too much depth now with Andrews, Gardiner, Walker, Adams, Payne, Skinner.

Definitly getting harder to choose delistees with Keays and Eagles in particular which shows we are building goode depth.

Keays2myBeamas

All Australian
Oct 5, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd guess Hodge, Keays and CLyons will be the three taken off the senior list at a minimum.

Although at this stage, it appears Keays is somehow ahead of Cutler, Christensen and Taylor who are all fit, and not even making the best 26 according to the emergencies. All out of contract.

Stef still no certainty to play on next year, although at this stage I can't see why not.

Eagles and Allison in trouble on the rookie list. Bastinac looks a chance to get another year.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Long way to go, injuries unfortunately will happen to current 1st 22 players and opportunities will open up for the likes of Keays, Robertson, Cutler, Taylor and Christensen. It's so good to have pressure on for spots in the seniors, I'm expecting the NEAFL team to have a good season results wise as these guys now know they have to perform consistently so they are in form and considered for selection when the opportunity arises.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd guess Hodge, Keays and CLyons will be the three taken off the senior list at a minimum.

Although at this stage, it appears Keays is somehow ahead of Cutler, Christensen and Taylor who are all fit, and not even making the best 26 according to the emergencies. All out of contract.

Stef still no certainty to play on next year, although at this stage I can't see why not.

Eagles and Allison in trouble on the rookie list. Bastinac looks a chance to get another year.

I wouldn't be so sure about Keays being ahead of Cutler, Bundy and Lewy per se - may be that they are very confident Linc will get up and want them to get match practice. You never know.

I'd be extremely shocked if Cuts, Lewy and N Robbo don't get contract offers. Even if they have slipped out of the best 22 this year it would be idiocy to give up on them after 70-100 games of development. Still have faith in Cuts especially long term.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Ryan Bastinac dropped again, Basti is just not consistent enough and at 28 years of age it is probably too late for him to turn that around.

May be kept on as depth but his career must be in serious jeopardy now, has had multiple chances.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Ryan Bastinac dropped again, Basti is just not consistent enough and at 28 years of age it is probably too late for him to turn that around.

May be kept on as depth but his career must be in serious jeopardy now, has had multiple chances.
You'd also think Nick Robertson will need to be solid from here on out too given he is out of contract at the end of the season.

Unlike Bastinac, you'd think at worst for Robertson he may be downgraded to the rookie list if say he doesn't manage more than half a dozen games or so.

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You'd also think Nick Robertson will need to be solid from here on out too given he is out of contract at the end of the season.

Unlike Bastinac, you'd think at worst for Robertson he may be downgraded to the rookie list if say he doesn't manage more than half a dozen games or so.

Robertson has played every game when he’s healthy for the past two years when Fagan’s been here. I think if he was to be downgraded then some young players like Allison, Starc, Smith, Answerth, Joyce and so in would have to show they are definitely future quality players. Robertson would be great experienced depth, if he managed less than half a dozen games this season.

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
What is the go with cutler ? Has so much upside but seems out of favour , is it attitude , fitness ?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
What is the go with cutler ? Has so much upside but seems out of favour , is it attitude , fitness ?
Could be either or both of the 2 things you mentioned and/or lack of an inside game, inadequate defensive running. Fagan and co. have been exceptional since they have been here, not a skerrick of evidence to doubt their decisions.

#trustinfages

fanackapan

All Australian
Aug 4, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Could be either or both of the 2 things you mentioned and/or lack of an inside game, inadequate defensive running. Fagan and co. have been exceptional since they have been here, not a skerrick of evidence to doubt their decisions.

#trustinfages

He's also basically a winger, and the role of wingers has changed a bit with the 6-6-6. I get the feeling we're much keener on having mids on the wing this year, which has hurt the chances of outside run-and-gun guys like Cutler and Allison.

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Think Keays will get his opportunity sooner rather than later. Will be very interesting to see how this change in role and focus will translate into the seniors. Admittedly he’s shown next to nothing at senior level so far but he definitely deserves a chance at some point this year to show if there’s something there. I think there is.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Mathieson and Robertson are two obvious ones that are uncontracted at seasons end and not showing a lot. The positive for them is that there are quite a few uncontracted players that aren’t playing in the seniors so that’s a positive for them.

countryVicLion

Senior List
Aug 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Robertson has played every game when he’s healthy for the past two years when Fagan’s been here. I think if he was to be downgraded then some young players like Allison, Starc, Smith, Answerth, Joyce and so in would have to show they are definitely future quality players. Robertson would be great experienced depth, if he managed less than half a dozen games this season.

Robertson was shot yesterday couldn’t keep up with speed of game, panicked every time he got the ball and when didn’t have it he never got to positions to create play, then when ball turned over he was no where near Walla he is gone and others are passing him quickly, As for Allen he didn’t take his opportunities either although I wanted him on Walla instead of Robbo

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Robertson was shot yesterday couldn’t keep up with speed of game, panicked every time he got the ball and when didn’t have it he never got to positions to create play, then when ball turned over he was no where near Walla he is gone and others are passing him quickly, As for Allen he didn’t take his opportunities either although I wanted him on Walla instead of Robbo

I just can’t agree that Nrobbo needs to be singled out for his performance yesterday. All our defenders looked at sea at times yesterday. We were beaten at the stoppages and on the spread which makes the defence look second rate. Players rotated on defensive match ups.
I watched Nrobbo closely. number of times Nrobbo took the time to consider options before delivering the ball. Can you go through the replay and provide times when he panicked and turned the ball over?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
When will the penny drop with some that Nick Robertson was not on AMT for the whole game, nowhere near it in fact. AMT pantsed everyone that went near him, not often a small forward kicks 7.

countryVicLion

Senior List
Aug 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When will the penny drop with some that Nick Robertson was not on AMT for the whole game, nowhere near it in fact. AMT pantsed everyone that went near him, not often a small forward kicks 7.

There will be more big bags if our defenders refuse to pay respect
Disagree at game seen both of them have no impact defending or being attacking options running off

Back