List Mgmt. Who is playing for their careers? 2019 edition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Keays will get his opportunity sooner rather than later. Will be very interesting to see how this change in role and focus will translate into the seniors. Admittedly he’s shown next to nothing at senior level so far but he definitely deserves a chance at some point this year to show if there’s something there. I think there is.

I'm also still hopeful with Keays. He's been a popular whipping boy here for his performance at AFL level, but he's had a couple of games of 20+ possessions, has tackled well (4 per game), shown good workrate (I think) and OK disposal (74% DE, not great, but not shocking), despite being played younger than he probably should have been (because of our weakness as a team in his first couple of years) and playing a fair bit out of position (relative to what he'd learned as a junior) as a pressure forward. As a 22-year old, that's not so bad. He's been pretty much our best NEAFL player (maybe behind Claye) for the past 2 years as a mid, and has started very well this year as a NEAFL forward.

Internal team growth mainly comes from players aged between 21-24.They have had 3 to 6 years in the system and are physically developed.Afl teams sometimes hang on to potential a bit too long.We have been good with this recently.If you have not locked down a spot in the best 22 by 24 you are definitely on the chopping block.Obviously there are grey ares in this I.e ruckman with injuries who have shown actual ability.
Ages are all as of end of year.
Keays-22 Has shown little at the top level and we are pretty well covered in his bit part role.Gone
Cutler-24 Was producing last year and has shown he is up to standard.Out of favour this year probably due to lack of defensive run and inside ablility.Tradebait
Taylor-24 Has shown plenty in his career but has some serious flaws in his defensive game that he seems unable to fix.Offers speed and is a good link up player in attack.Deadset fence sitter on this one.Keep 1yr contract
Archie-24 Played well in the JLT should be hitting his straps.Keep 2yr contract.
Lester-27 He isn’t playing in the top 22 and other players have gone past him.He has got the best out of himself but you can’t keep a 27 yr old just to play NEAFL.Gone
Bastinac-28 Thought he was gone last year but held on and played a role as a defensive wing type then was dropped from a winning team.Just not enough output from him.Gone
Eagles-29 Depth player to cover the backline.Love his intensity but not afl standard.Others on the list will be that depth.Gone
Christensen-28 Borderline 22 player with a bad run of injuries.Offers good ball use and experience but his run is questionable and isn’t great defensively his best position is small forward.We are pretty well stocked there.Tradebait
Stef-33 Still offering a good challenge to the opposition ruck but time gets everyone in the end.If he gets overtaken next year it will be the best case scenario.1yr deal
Hodge-35 Thanks Hodgey hope you hang around as an assistant.
Some other young players around that 21-22 bracket I would give more time by way of a short contract no more than 2yrs include Allison,Hinge,Skinner,Lyons

Internal team growth mainly comes from players aged between 21-24.They have had 3 to 6 years in the system and are physically developed.Afl teams sometimes hang on to potential a bit too long.We have been good with this recently.If you have not locked down a spot in the best 22 by 24 you are definitely on the chopping block.Obviously there are grey ares in this I.e ruckman with injuries who have shown actual ability.
Ages are all as of end of year.
Keays-22 Has shown little at the top level and we are pretty well covered in his bit part role.Gone
Cutler-24 Was producing last year and has shown he is up to standard.Out of favour this year probably due to lack of defensive run and inside ablility.Tradebait
Taylor-24 Has shown plenty in his career but has some serious flaws in his defensive game that he seems unable to fix.Offers speed and is a good link up player in attack.Deadset fence sitter on this one.Keep 1yr contract
Archie-24 Played well in the JLT should be hitting his straps.Keep 2yr contract.
Lester-27 He isn’t playing in the top 22 and other players have gone past him.He has got the best out of himself but you can’t keep a 27 yr old just to play NEAFL.Gone
Bastinac-28 Thought he was gone last year but held on and played a role as a defensive wing type then was dropped from a winning team.Just not enough output from him.Gone
Eagles-29 Depth player to cover the backline.Love his intensity but not afl standard.Others on the list will be that depth.Gone
Christensen-28 Borderline 22 player with a bad run of injuries.Offers good ball use and experience but his run is questionable and isn’t great defensively his best position is small forward.We are pretty well stocked there.Tradebait
Stef-33 Still offering a good challenge to the opposition ruck but time gets everyone in the end.If he gets overtaken next year it will be the best case scenario.1yr deal
Hodge-35 Thanks Hodgey hope you hang around as an assistant.
Some other young players around that 21-22 bracket I would give more time by way of a short contract no more than 2yrs include Allison,Hinge,Skinner,Lyons
You are getting rid of all our experience. If we have any injuries, which we will, then it will be up to the younge guys or to debut them. Sometimes, if we are playing against a strong team we will want some relatively strong depth coming back in,

You are getting rid of all our experience. If we have any injuries, which we will, then it will be up to the younge guys or to debut them. Sometimes, if we are playing against a strong team we will want some relatively strong depth coming back in,
Disagree I’m not getting rid of all our experience just the players that can’t manage to play majority of best 22 footy.Injury offers opportunity to our next bracket 21-22 yr olds to see if they belong at this level.We have still got players borderline 22 with experience on most lines after these changes.

Disagree I’m not getting rid of all our experience just the players that can’t manage to play majority of best 22 footy.Injury offers opportunity to our next bracket 21-22 yr olds to see if they belong at this level.We have still got players borderline 22 with experience on most lines after these changes.

Problem is that we haven't fully settled on any part of the ground. What if the "21-22 yr olds" aren't ready or can't make it just yet? You've just got rid of a huge pile of experience.

Also, given the past two weeks of losses by quick teams, why would you get rid of Taylor, Cuts and Christenson? It's not like there's going to be many players we can bring in to replace them in regards to their experience.

Problem is that we haven't fully settled on any part of the ground. What if the "21-22 yr olds" aren't ready or can't make it just yet? You've just got rid of a huge pile of experience.

Also, given the past two weeks of losses by quick teams, why would you get rid of Taylor, Cuts and Christenson? It's not like there's going to be many players we can bring in to replace them in regards to their experience.
If you read closely I’m keeping Taylor and trying to trade for Cutler and Christensen.Hopefully trading for need a quick small defender being a need for us.You cannot keep everyone and I’m happy to move them on

If you read closely I’m keeping Taylor and trying to trade for Cutler and Christensen.Hopefully trading for need a quick small defender being a need for us.You cannot keep everyone and I’m happy to move them on

Well my friend, if you read closely, I haven't said keep everyone. What I have said on other threads is that our weakness is our speed, and you want to get rid of two utilities that can fix that problem in multiple positions.

Notice how I didn't contest all the names you mentioned, as you have implied?

We already have Bailey and Starcevich playing those rebound roles, they're just injured currently.

Last edited:
C
Well my friend, if you read closely, I haven't said keep everyone. What I have said on other threads is that our weakness is our speed, and you want to get rid of two utilities that can fix that problem in multiple positions.

Notice how I didn't contest all the names you mentioned, as you have implied?

We already have Bailey and Starcevich playing those rebound roles, they're just injured currently.
Christensen isn’t that quick and I don’t think Cutler is a utility player I see him as a winger possible Half Forward.He doesn’t have a good defensive side to his game.Agree that Bailey and Starcevich are the future rebounders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mathieson and Archie Smith going nowhere then! Both extended to 2021
Yep just saw that and came to post it........ you beat me by that much.

I find the extensions both slightly odd, I would have the jury still out on both of them for long term viability and would have left the decision till the last month or so of the season. I can live with it though, not going to go into full on rant mode at the decision.

Really surprised by Matho. Not a lot of improvement in his 4 seasons. Good depth.

Really surprised by Matho. Not a lot of improvement in his 4 seasons. Good depth.

I differ - I'm still not convinced his ceiling is that high, but he's improved massively from his first efforts to now. The initial knock on him was a one trick pony with next to no endurance which I found hard to dispute, but watching him play this year he's actually able to provide meaningful spread and defensive pressure unlike in previous years. His disposal is still not top notch but his base in his first two years really was bad compared to now.

I differ - I'm still not convinced his ceiling is that high, but he's improved massively from his first efforts to now. The initial knock on him was a one trick pony with next to no endurance which I found hard to dispute, but watching him play this year he's actually able to provide meaningful spread and defensive pressure unlike in previous years. His disposal is still not top notch but his base in his first two years really was bad compared to now.

That's true but I'd say at the moment he has no tricks. Improving his weaknesses is a good thing but he's trending down in the major statistics since his first season.

His spread and disposals is getting close to competent after starting at a very low base.

I find the extensions both slightly odd, I would have the jury still out on both of them for long term viability and would have left the decision till the last month or so of the season. I can live with it though, not going to go into full on rant mode at the decision.

Archie doesn't shock me at all - it's clear we like him and Stef is not getting any younger. Smart to lock him up and have backup there.

Matho is a bit more surprising to me.

As some others have suggested, I'd expect Matho to be on pretty limited coin. Might have been that the club wanted him as depth no matter what and didn't want to sign him before a potential breakout and therefore have to shell out more than otherwise.

Either way, unless he dramatically improves and rounds his game, I'd hope the club looks at him as depth for the future similar to Lester.

Archie Smith no surprises. We have no other ruckmen coming through. In the NEAFL we are mainly using Skinner as the second ruckman and let's just say that is definitely not a strength of his...

Archie doesn't shock me at all - it's clear we like him and Stef is not getting any younger. Smart to lock him up and have backup there.

Matho is a bit more surprising to me.

Not surprised by either re-signing to be honest. Archie was a bit of a no brainer. But why wouldn't we want to re-sign Matho? Ideally we'd have younger players going past him next year, but they have to get there first. A lot of us are scratching their heads a little that certain players who seemingly have a bit to offer don't seem to be in favour with the coaching & selection panels . Maybe they don't tick boxes in attitude & leadership that Matho does, which for a developing team is pretty important.

At this stage I think both have shown enough to deserve a couple more years. We need as much cohesion as possible. i don;t think the Cats or Hawks would be extending either or these Guys this early, if they were doing the same things on their lists - but that's an luxury we do not have.

Matho is a one trick pony with no defensive side to his game and hasn’t got an any speed or endurance at all . Surely him and Lyons can’t be playing in same midfield they are just so slow and don’t work hard enough . Hope I’m wrong but he has been massively underwhelming . Obviously good for culture and popular amongst his mates .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back