List Mgmt. Who is playing for their careers? 2019 edition.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Looking through that list of currently OOC players this year it is going to difficult to cull that list too much.

Gone- Luke Hodge.

Definitely re contract- Taylor, Cutler, Skinner, McStay, Ballenden, Robinson, Walker, Lester.

Jury out- Robertson, Christensen, Keays, Bastinac.

On very thin ice- C.Lyons, Hinge, Eagles.

Left field- Martin (could he retire? Will be 33 late this year)

If forced to pick 2 others on top of Hodge to go out I'd go with Eagles and Bastinac.

BigCat2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Given that cat A rookies is essentially just an extension of the senior list, wouldn't surprise me of we moved a couple senior listed players to the rookie list to allow for rookie promotions. Going by what Noble and Ambrogio said last year, we are getting closer to the list build we want, so I don't expect too many changes this year.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You think Skinner might move to rookie we stood by his knees although if others gone past him who knows.
Also be interesting 16-30 ranked players what happens with them. Cox, Cutler, Lester, Taylor, Hinge, Keays, Allison, Robertson, Christensen, Bastinac, Lyons and Eagles.
We cannot clear all our depth although if others are going past them we might not need so many. Even if in contract can be swapped around for picks.

Remember T Berry, E Smith, Joyce, Madden, McFadyen and Fullarton from last year still have not got a run. Add Adams here. Previous years we would of played half :) Only Answerth debut this year.
Wooler, Payne, Ballenden, C Lyons still have not got a game.
Then Starcevich still on injury list.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The way I see it we are going to have plenty of tall options with Fullarton ,Wooler ,Payne , Ballenden and Adams all likely to develop into good players . Plus the talls we have in there at present are all young . So I would be looking to trim our list of smaller players who aren't going to improve our team and look to recruit/draft potential pace on to our list.

It's not an easy task, depends on who is available but there are obviously 5 or 6 players who've been around a while and not made much of an impact who will unfortunately have to be looked at. I'd actually consider giving Eagles another year to be honest , I think he's very handy at this juncture if injuries strike and having someone like him in the twos helps the younger players any way.

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How many years with less than a few senior games do we give draftees? For someone like CLyons I think it could be his last year. For Skinner, it could be the rookie list. 3-4 years is probably the maximum I am ever willing to give to someone who often doesn’t or never plays a senior game.

Although, in the end, I’d say it’s more valuable to keep KPP’s around longer, because it is much harder to start development of a tall all over again (and also why we haven’t delisted Archie for the chance of picking a highly rated ruck in the draft).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
How many years with less than a few senior games do we give draftees? For someone like CLyons I think it could be his last year. For Skinner, it could be the rookie list. 3-4 years is probably the maximum I am ever willing to give to someone who often doesn’t or never plays a senior game.

Looking over the history of our list, three years is the maximum we've kept anyone on the main list without playing a senior game: Pat Garner (05-07), Matt Tyler (07-09), Callum Bartlett (10-12), Patrick Wearden (12-14) and Corey Lyons (17-19)*.

However, two of those listed above earned further years at the club having been demoted to the rookie list after being on the primary list; Pat Garner (another two years on the rookie list in 08-09) for a total of 5 years at the club without playing a senior game (3 x ACL's IIRC) and Callum Bartlett earning another year on the rookie list in 2013, also without playing a senior game.

Bart McCulloch (09-10) was the only player to have spent two years on the primary list and one year on the rookie list in 2011 without playing a senior game. On the other hand, Joel Tippett was on the rookie list for three years (07-09) and was promoted to the senior list in 2009, yet still did not play a senior game.

Donald Barry (07-11) is the only rookie to have spent longer than 3 years on the rookie list and in then end was on our rookie list for 5 years without playing a senior game. Obviously the rules changed sometime after Barry was on the rookie list for as long as he was given the maximum you can be on it is 3 years without being elevated.

Pat Garner would still have to be the Lions unluckiest player to ever be on the Lions list given his 5 years without playing a senior game.

Back to Corey Lyons though; if he wasn't selected to make his debut this year, he would need to break Lions history and be the first player to get a fourth year without having played a game in his first three.

In terms of players earning four years at the club on the senior list, Sam Skinner (16-19)* has played the least games (1) with the next fewest being Shane Morrison (00-03) who played 5 games in his time at the club.

I still think both Corey Lyons and Sam Skinner could be demoted to the rookie list if the club still saw something in them and didn't want to delist them.

Donald Barry (07-11) is the only rookie to have spent longer than 3 years on the rookie list and in then end was on our rookie list for 5 years without playing a senior game. Obviously the rules changed sometime after Barry was on the rookie list for as long as he was given the maximum you can be on it is 3 years without being elevated.
I don't think Donald Barry was on our rookie list for that long, pretty sure it was just for 2010-11. I believe he was linked to us before that as part of the international scholarship program they had running at the time but he only actually spent two years on our rookie list.

Edit: Actually reading the roster thread on him, I don't think he was ever officially on our rookie list. He could just play/train with the club as part of the international scholarship program.

As always, Mr Ripper has the scoop - "He "joined" the Lions in 2010, but was an occasional top up in 2008 and possibly even 2007; along with a number of other PNG lads."

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Tom Cutler OOC this year, obviously not doing the job the coaches want him to do. IMO there would be a few clubs interested in him so he may have some trade currency.

Tom Cutler OOC this year, obviously not doing the job the coaches want him to do. IMO there would be a few clubs interested in him so he may have some trade currency.

If I were him I'd be looking for more opportunities elsewhere.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
If I were him I'd be looking for more opportunities elsewhere.
Yer agree, although there is a long time to go in the season, still time for him to cement a spot in the side, I really like what Cutler has to offer when he's on.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Next year looking pretty short already.

Out of Contract By Year

2019:
Ryan Bastinac (R)
Stefan Martin
Lewis Taylor
Tom Cutler
Ben Keays
Sam Skinner
Daniel McStay
Nicholas Robertson
Corey Lyons
Luke Hodge
Allen Christensen
Matt Eagles (R)
Mitchell Hinge (R)
Mitch Robinson
Josh Walker
Ryan Lester

2020:
Cedric Cox
Eric Hipwood
Jacob Allison (R)
Alex Witherden
Jack Payne
Toby Wooller
Ely Smith

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Cutler and our first to move up the draft.
As I said earlier I do like Tom, the downside of trading him is that IMO he could have a really good back half of his career but you have to bite the bullet sometimes and just back yourself, obviously he is not rated as a best 22 player by the coaching staff at this moment in time.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As I said earlier I do like Tom, the downside of trading him is that IMO he could have a really good back half of his career but you have to bite the bullet sometimes and just back yourself, obviously he is not rated as a best 22 player by the coaching staff at this moment in time.
Like many AFL footballers, Cutler has all the skills needed to play good footy in the big league. His biggest issue in my opinion is his attitude. I have watched a lot of footy that Cutler has played thus far at the Lions. (NEAFL & Seniors) His body language & dialogue with team mates on the field is atrocious. Often a change of club can bring a players weakness's out and correct them which, should Cutler move on at the end of season 2019, I hope happens in his career.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You think Skinner might move to rookie we stood by his knees although if others gone past him who knows.
Also be interesting 16-30 ranked players what happens with them. Cox, Cutler, Lester, Taylor, Hinge, Keays, Allison, Robertson, Christensen, Bastinac, Lyons and Eagles.
We cannot clear all our depth although if others are going past them we might not need so many. Even if in contract can be swapped around for picks.

Remember T Berry, E Smith, Joyce, Madden, McFadyen and Fullarton from last year still have not got a run. Add Adams here. Previous years we would of played half :) Only Answerth debut this year.
Wooler, Payne, Ballenden, C Lyons still have not got a game.
Then Starcevich still on injury list.

So on this weeks podcast Eagles was asked about standout NEAFL players. His response was Skinner, mentioned the boy contested marking and ability to read the play. Was extremely positive. If this correct and Skinner continues the form can’t see him being rookied.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Would be very happy with an eventual back 6 of-

Darcy Gardiner, Sam Skinner, Alex Witherden.
Noah Answerth, Harris Andrews, Zac Bailey....with Daniel Rich rotating through there and a bit further up field.

Jack Payne, Connor Ballenden, Cedric Cox, Mitchell Hinge, Josh Walker and Jacob Allison (James Madden?) to provide the depth.

It's got premiership back line written all over it.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Noah Answerth, Harris Andrews, Zac Bailey....with Daniel Rich rotating through there and a bit further up field.

Jack Payne, Connor Ballenden, Cedric Cox, Mitchell Hinge, Josh Walker and Jacob Allison (James Madden?) to provide the depth.

I think we’ll find Skinner up front at some point. When that happens Payne slots into the spot you have for Skinner down back.

fanackapan

All Australian
Aug 4, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think we’ll find Skinner up front at some point. When that happens Payne slots into the spot you have for Skinner down back.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. He'll be someone that forum trolls call to be dropped because he doesn't kick big bags of goals, but the things he does well - get to lots of contests, crash packs, provide really good pressure and tackling for a big - are so important for modern key forwards.

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Can’t forget Marcus Adams.... if we can get him fit!

Back