List Mgmt. Who is playing for their careers in 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fundamentally, I think it's just that Fagan & Noble have their own ideas about where they'd like to take the list. Last trade period they'd just come into the club and hadn't fully got across the list where it is. Now they've had a good look and are ready to start implementing their strategy. And that's where Noble talking about the Gabba playing fast comes in. That's where investing heavily in bringing Cameron comes in (or, for that matter, the persistent rumours about Hartung).

There'll be players who get an immunity idol for the other attributes they bring (e.g. Lester for his smarts, leadership & flexibility), but Fagan & Noble want a fast gameplan and a list who can execute it. This will heavily influence how we approach the draft.
And fast footy, when played with the skills required, is a beautiful thing to watch.

I think that means you don't agree with the concept of HA playing forward.

Nevertheless, I think I also remember Fagan hinting at the possibility.
It makes sense for me. Andrews may be the best young back in the side, but he may also have the capability to kick 40+ goals a season. Plus the learning from switching ends is certainly worth the experiment.

It makes sense for me. Andrews may be the best young back in the side, but he may also have the capability to kick 40+ goals a season. Plus the learning from switching ends is certainly worth the experiment.

Think they should try it in this JLT Cup,

Hipwood would be more than capable as a defender IMO.

His closing speed and skills at ground level would be well suited to a key defender. In his draft year I thought he was considered equally adept at both ends of the ground.

Reuben William- Finished, will have a good time at a 2nd tier club.
Claye Beams- I distinctly remember reading somewhere that he was sick of the grind of top level football and not being able to get his body right and that he will be happy to play local footy, maybe back down the Gold Coast.
Matthew Hammelmann- Finished.
Michael Close- Wouldn't be surprised if a Melbourne club gave him a shot on the rookie list.
Cian Hanley- I would like to have seen him given another year, maybe to the Suns with Pearce.

I really hope this is the new era and not just more of the same with a higher credentialed bunch of muppets in charge

I long for a time when we dont feel we need to turn over ten plus players a year. Some continuity would be nice.

Fundamentally, I think it's just that Fagan & Noble have their own ideas about where they'd like to take the list. Last trade period they'd just come into the club and hadn't fully got across the list where it is. Now they've had a good look and are ready to start implementing their strategy. And that's where Noble talking about the Gabba playing fast comes in. That's where investing heavily in bringing Cameron comes in (or, for that matter, the persistent rumours about Hartung).

There'll be players who get an immunity idol for the other attributes they bring (e.g. Lester for his smarts, leadership & flexibility), but Fagan & Noble want a fast gameplan and a list who can execute it. This will heavily influence how we approach the draft.
Oh definitely. That was more a comment on assumptions that everyone's going to go with one tall because it worked for Richmond. I do worry about the rate of turnover though, aside from Frost and a few flanker types we're going in to next season with no depth whatsoever in terms of mature-ish players with any sort of afl experience. That may not end well if we lose a couple of senior players to injury.
As a cyclist, seeing that bike thrown like that just breaks my heart.
759915795.gif

Can't beat this one.

I really hope this is the new era and not just more of the same with a higher credentialed bunch of muppets in charge

I long for a time when we dont feel we need to turn over ten plus players a year. Some continuity would be nice.

I guess we just have to believe that the guys in charge now will themselves have some continuity and that these high player turnovers are part of a well considered plan.

But yeah, I understand your frustration.

We need to start rising up that ladder in the next year or two just to restore supporter confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost certain now that we will pick up a DFA or 2, just had a look through the latest list of DFAs and these could be a few we would consider-

Zac Clarke, Billy Hartung, Troy Menzel, Dylan Buckley, Aaron Mullett, Corey Wagner, Brandon Jack.

Not a very inspiring list, I suppose that's why they've been delisted.

Dodongo didn't know this was survivor. Dodongo wants to host.

I'm a little shocked that there are so many delistings, but I was saying all year that we were too tall in the twos with 3 tall forwards plus the resting ruck. We now have 4 talls out (Schache, Freemann, Hammelmann and Close)... and hopefully it will be only two in. (Ballenden plus Payne/someone else). I think this would be a move in the right direction.

I feel sorry for Michael Close and hope he gets a chance somewhere... his kicking is in my view the main thing that's holding him back. Really enjoyed his effort and development this year and the way he plays. Hanley is surprising, given Noble's recent comments.

Puzzled that the club says we will have 7 picks in the draft (with only 6 list spots) and the suggestion that we will use 93. Seriously? This has to be a journalist's mistake.

Unlikely that any of the rookies will be upgraded, with the 6th spot (pick 52) more likely to go to a delisted player from another club or someone who slides on draft night. Gives us 3 Cat A rookies (McInerney, Barrett, Hinge) and one cat B (Eagles). Room for one more Cat A rookie only plus two more Cat B, some combination of Queensland zone selections and International players. I really hope Campbell Walker gets one of the cat B spots.

Eagles's contested marking, which was certainly elite in the NEAFL, gives him the potential to play forward and back. Would love to see him play the ruck forward spot at some stage. We've really been developing both Oscar and Archie as marking forward/rucks, with Oscar kicking 24 goals this year. I think we're more than right for talls to play forward. Time to draft and develop some small forwards in the twos.

The West Coast eagles made the finals and are still making 12 list changes.... we haven’t gone overboard- there will be another big cull next year with us.

Almost certain now that we will pick up a DFA or 2, just had a look through the latest list of DFAs and these could be a few we would consider-

Zac Clarke, Billy Hartung, Troy Menzel, Dylan Buckley, Aaron Mullett, Corey Wagner, Brandon Jack.

Not a very inspiring list, I suppose that's why they've been delisted.
I'd have Mullett first and Hartung has to be a chance with the Fagan connection. Wagner as a local might be an option. Menzel if he can get over injuries... used to be super impressive... not sure about now. Wouldn't consider the others.

Reasonbable chance we will take one DFA on senior list and one as a rookie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back