Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Well it's time to sit down and try to nominate our "designated whipping boy" for 2015. In the last few months, we have lost a fan favourite in Heritier Lumumba who has been a consistent contender for the award for a number of years.

Next year, there are several favourites and there are others who could be grouped into broad categories that I will outline below.

The Favourites

Clint Young, Jesse White and Tony Armstrong have several things in common. They have come from other clubs and none of them have been well liked since they joined the club. Jesse had a short honeymoon period soon after he was traded and Tony had a small blimp of support towards the end of this year because he could actually kick the ball. Clint has never been able to buy a friend at the Pies. The best he can hope for is to be injured all year and to slowly slink off to another club at the of his contract. There have been a few "Lazarus" recoveries done by much-despised players like Leroy Brown, but I doubt Clint has it in him. If the race to be head whipping boy was the Melbourne Cup, then the bookies wouldn't be taking any more bets on this one.

Travis Varcoe is a real smokie. He might take over from Clint. Stay tuned....

The Local Favourites

Jarryd Blair was once a much loved VFL player who couldnt get a game with the senior team. Now, he's the hobbit who has outstayed his welcome. The calls for him to be traded or dropped off the list, will only get stronger next year.

Alex Fasolo has been getting by in the last year or so, because of a long term popularity streak that he managed to acquire in his first few games. However, the worm has been turning in the last year and you can see that the natives are getting restless. I can foresee more expressions of frustration about his form in the coming year. The advantage he has over Blair is that he actually has the talent to kick 35 goals in a season. However, if his fans turn on him then they are going to turn hard. Expect an outcome towards the end of 2015 that looks a little like road kill.

Paul Seedsman appears to have more room to move than Fasolo and Blair. However, there have been a number of posts in recent weeks that have nominated him as the big improver in 2015. As we all know, big expectations means 100 lashes from the whip if they dont eventuate. I dont think the fans will treat him kindly, even if he can nominate the brand of undies that Wayne Richardson wore in the 1970 grand final.

The Forgotten Men

Benny Sinclair and Nathan Brown have been injured for so long that people have stopped talking about them. Look for a change in 2015, if either of them are hanging around in the VFL trying to get some form. Both players have gathered a lot of support in recent years ......support for them to be traded. This is likely to increase in 2015. Ben was a top 3 whipping boy last season. I think that he can re-establish himself as a main player in 2015.

The Surprise Packets

As the old saying goes, "how quickly they turn". Travis has copped his fair share of stick in the last few years, and so has Dane. However, the negative stuff of the past will look like a picnic if either of these two guys dont put in a big effort in 2015. You have heard the odd call for trading in the past. Expect a conga line of hecklers in 2015 if these two don't deliver.

Last edited:
We all say Ben Sinclair would have benefited if he didn't get injured but once his back in the best 22 a strings some games together we'll turn on him.

Hmmmm, decisions, decisions, decisions ... seems like we're spolit for choice here. Purely based on 2014, I'll have to back the perennial favourite - he of the raking left boot, Dasher Young. Can't see the Magpie faithful around these parts warming to him anytime soon. Not that I necessarily agree, don't mind him myself truth be told.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously if Blair and young keep getting senior games, and white keeps playing ghosties those three have the trifecta wrapped up.

All of the above.

I dont like the concept of a whipping boy, but if BF has to have one then maybe we could have 'exclusions'. Those who could be excluded - or excused - from being a whipping boy could include players who:
  • are 21 years old or less
  • have played fewer than 20 games
  • are coming back from a long-term injury
  • are currently carrying an injury/niggle
  • are played out of position
That should exclude most of the team.:p

I dont like the concept of a whipping boy, but if BF has to have one then maybe we could have 'exclusions'. Those who could be excluded - or excused - from being a whipping boy could include players who:
  • are 21 years old or less
  • have played fewer than 20 games
  • are coming back from a long-term injury
  • are currently carrying an injury/niggle
  • are played out of position
That should exclude most of the team.:p

And the winner is...............................
Tony Armstrong. :D

Back