Analysis Who is the AFL GOAT - AFL Era?

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthew Pavlich then daylight.

By that logic then Martin would be the unequivocal GOAT because of 2017. Think the only medal or award he didnt win was the coleman and the Rising star (by virtue of not being eligible)
He may have had the most succesful season in terms of awards but no way in hell was Dusty 2017 close to the peak of footy.

Lance Franklin
Gary Ablett Jr
Dustin Martin

For me they are clear cut the best of the best. I don't have a particular order for them, I just think the three are in their own class at the top.

Edit* Unless this includes Carey then you can go ahead and throw him in there too.

Pavlich AA forward, back and in the midfield. Played over 300 games travelling over half the country twice a week. If that doesn’t personify the modern era of footy I don’t know what does.

Gaz jnr is afl goat
During prime years executed every discipline of the game without flaw.
The most pure footballer I’ve seen.
Yeah.
If i consider the guys who made their name in the era, and less in the vfl, its gaz jnr and carey for me.
Buddy, judd and hird in the convo just behind that.

Effectively the players who could turn games like no other.

Its a shame modra was injured so much late in his career. He was projecting to be up there

Gaz jnr was on another level at his peak though. As you say, just pure footballing skill.

To the OP, SplintWhisky - great idea for a thread, and I reckon to make it even greater, we all vote for our Top 5, with votes accumulated to arrive at a conclusion.

So for the list I've previously posted, I'd have:

5 - Ablett Snr
4 - Carey
3 - Lockett
2 - Ablett Jnr
1 - Franklin

Thoughts?

Edit: I'll do the running total in this post:
10 Ablett Snr
8 Carey
5 Lockett
3 Judd
3 Ablett Jnr
1 Franklin

Last edited:
Mmm still played one season of VFL, which sort of blurs the lines of what I was trying to say.

I mean it's obviously Carey by the length of the Flemington straight if you included him. Was more an exercise to exclude the 3 best (plus Leigh who I consider the GOAT), and see who was the best from the more modern era. Cut it off at when the AFL is formed, for this reason. If we just went from 2000, I'd exclude Hird, Buckley and McLeod - which as RUNVS was saying, might work better in this context.
It was hardly a season, his first four games - he'd get better stats in single games a few years later than he did for all of them.

Carey even played less than 20 years ago (but was a shadow of his former self.)

There hasn't been anyone like him since. THo Martin is close. Simply cos of his ability to turn it on in big games, when it matters.

At the time I used to think we were always a chance no matter how far we were behind at half time (often we'd win those games,) and a big part of that was Carey.

Has there been anyone like that since?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger actually had a pretty similar year;

Danger had more disposals, marks, goals, tackles, contested marks, marks i50, and clearances.

He was ineligible for the Brownlow so people forget that Dusty wouldn't have been the clear-cut favourite to win otherwise.
When they played each other in a GF Danger went missing and Dusty stepped up to win the game.

Dangerfield is very lucky he won a flag last year cos he doesn't really have the heart for it imo.

It was hardly a season, his first four games - he'd get better stats in single games a few years later than he did for all of them.

There hasn't been anyone like him since. THo Martin is close. Simply cos of his ability to turn it on in big games, when it matters.

At the time I used to think we were always a chance no matter how far we were behind at half time (often we'd win those games,) and a big part of that was Carey.

Franklin was winning games off his own boot when he went to Sydney. That period between 2014-2017 (2015 was a downer) was equal to any of Carey's best years.
Difference was, Carey played at that level for about 7 years.

Oh' and Carey was also a contested mark colossus.

For us, Selwood. Never seen a will to win like his for us over his 16 year career - don't think we'll ever be able to replace that.

As I said, I have Carey first under those parameters. Not really a point in discussing anyone else. That's why it works best when excluding guys like him and Senior, as no-one in the modern game has still surpassed those two and Leigh Matthews. Buddy and GAJ rounding out the Top 5 with Judd, Voss and Dusty not far behind. I honestly think it's easier just labelling eras and GOATs within them, rather than picking a single one overall, given just how much the game has evolved over time.

When they played each other in a GF Danger went missing and Dusty stepped up to win the game.

Dangerfield is very lucky he won a flag last year cos he doesn't really have the heart for it imo.

Brownlow's aren't awarded for finals though, so given he had a similar year Danger would have been equal favourite for the win.

Then there's whole 0 votes for a 32 disposal + 2 goal game thing....

Genuine question, how can anyone consider Gary Ablett Snr as the no1, a player that couldn't get his team over the line in 4 Grand Finals?

The top 2 teams make the Grand Final, and one of the teams has the no1 player of all time (a supposed superstar), surely the team with the greatest player of all time has the edge, not so in the curious case of Gary Ablett Snr. ....

Sorry, but I don't believe that primarily feasting on rabbles gives you a claim on the no1 spot LOL.

Look at Dustin Martin, a genuine superstar, when Richmond have made the Grand Final we've had the edge on all our opponents, Adelaide, GWS, and Geelong, none of them had a genuine superstar of their own that could do for their team what Dustin could do for the Tigers. Finals is where superstars set themselves apart, like how Dustin has done.

Genuine question, how can anyone consider Gary Ablett Snr as the no1, a player that couldn't get his team over the line in 4 Grand Finals?

The top 2 teams make the Grand Final, and one of the teams has the no1 player of all time (a supposed superstar), surely the team with the greatest player of all time has the edge, not so in the curious case of Gary Ablett Snr. ....

Sorry, but I don't believe that primarily feasting on rabbles gives you a claim on the no1 spot LOL.

Look at Dustin Martin, a genuine superstar, when Richmond have made the Grand Final we've had the edge on all our opponents, Adelaide, GWS, and Geelong, none of them had a genuine superstar of their own that could do for their team what Dustin could do for the Tigers. Finals is where superstars set themselves apart, like how Dustin has done.
Falcon MK Eleven.

o_Oo_Oo_O

Maybe watch the 89 finals series at get back to us, Geelong didn't have a decent key position bsckmen, Darcy was a half back flanker, having to play on arguably the second best ever full forward in Dunstall.

No one has played footy at a purer, higher level than Gary senior did in the whole 89 finals series, 27 goals in 4 games off a half fwd flank. 9 against the best team ever in the Hawks.

Really dumb comment.

The best players of the AFL era are

The duck, by an absolute mile 93-2000 he was the king, no one could stop him.

Gary Ablett junior 2007-2020 13 years of playing at an incredibly high level, he's first years at the suns were next level.

Dunstall - team orientated full forward, was there a better chest mark at using his body

Judd - was there a better footballer who could hit the jets and blow away opposition, he's first few years at the Eagles was wow

Plugger - record goal kicker for a reason and he was the feared on the field. Reckon he was slightly better in the 80s, why he was below Dunstall

Unlucky
Gary senior- played his best footy in the 80s, one great year in 93 can't get him in

Diesal - never a better footballer to set up the game

Buddy 1000 goals in the modern game, could probably switch with Judd, just felt that Judds best was slightly better, like he's 5 in a half against the lions who were in the midst of their hat trick of flags

Dusty - best modern big game player, 2020 grand final was his best ever game

Voss - probably the best ever skipper

Scarlett and Fletcher

Not Ablett, you have to judge his off field leadership which was basically selling himself to the highest bidder $$$.

A mercenary in the same camp as Chris Judd.

The real all time GOAT is Dustin Martin. He's also a better forward and midfielder than Ablett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back