Who is the arseiest team in history prior to Collingwood 2022?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wouldn't call it arse, but these stats are amazing.

Smallest (or equal) cumulative margins over a V/AFL winning streak of ..
5 games - 27 COLL 2022 R16-20
6 games - 38 COLL 2022 R15-20
7 games - 62 COLL 2022 R12-19
8 games - 66 COLL 2022 R11-19
9 games - 72 COLL 2022 R11-20
10 games - 108 COLL 2022 R10-20
11 games - 115 COLL 2022 R10-21

What's the record for 16 consecutive wins?

Feb 26, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Last night they got smashed on the stats sheet but still won. Has happened in previous games too. That’s not luck, that’s good system and attitude. It makes them hard to beat if you’re already beating them for contested possies, inside 50s etc. Whats left to change up?

Brent24

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Essendon win was luck. Last night's win was when Melbourne played better overall, but we took our chances. In the other games we have been the better side for most of it and deserved to win.
The Essendon game and the Carlton game have been 2 that could have genuinely went either way. But sometimes you make your own luck.

Last night wasn't luck. We got on top of Melbourne after half time and wore them down.

The Essendon game and the Carlton game have been 2 that could have genuinely went either way. But sometimes you make your own luck.

Last night wasn't luck. We got on top of Melbourne after half time and wore them down.

We owned the Carlton game. They kicked two very late goals which made it close.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I still don't think Collingwood will win the premiership. They were out played last night, only having 21 scoring shots to 34. They were way more accurate than they would be in most games. Had both teams had their usual level of accuracy in front of goal Melbourne would have won comfortably as a difference of 13 in scoring shots is huge.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
I still don't think Collingwood will win the premiership. They were out played last night, only having 21 scoring shots to 34. They were way more accurate than they would be in most games. Had both teams had their usual level of accuracy in front of goal Melbourne would have won comfortably as a difference of 13 in scoring shots is huge.
Don't buy it. Missing goals is no different to turning it over in the midfield with a clanger. It's s**t footy, not unlucky.

You don't judge the winner on the scoring shots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Rope a dope. Allow momentum early through the first half and limit the ease of opposition inside fifties and have them taking lower percentage shots. After half time increase the pressure and take advantage of the effort used by the opposition in the early game.
Which, given the Swans have won more fourth quarters than anyone else this year, makes our clash with you guys next week all the more tantalising. .

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Don't buy it. Missing goals is no different to turning it over in the midfield with a clanger. It's s**t footy, not unlucky.
And I don't buy that.

I'm certainly not arguing goalkicking is all luck, but rather it's an incredibly complex topic with an almost endless element of hard-to-control variables.

I think the saying "bad kicking is bad footy" has no more than an element of truth in it and is mostly a simplistic reduction. (The same goalkicking legends in the commentary box who often say that, will turn around in the next instant when a star forward does everything right in a set shot and misses the lot, and say wryly "Yep, sometimes you can tick every box and still can't buy a goal for love or money", seemingly without self-awareness.)

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
And I don't buy that.

I'm certainly not arguing goalkicking is all luck, but rather it's an incredibly complex topic with an almost endless element of hard-to-control variables.

I think the saying "bad kicking is bad footy" has no more than an element of truth in it and is mostly a simplistic reduction. (The same goalkicking legends in the commentary box who often say that, will turn around in the next instant when a star forward does everything right in a set shot and misses the lot, and say wryly "Yep, sometimes you can tick every box and still can't buy a goal for love or money", seemingly without self-awareness.)
Nope. That's silly. It's easier to aim for a stationary area that is ten metres wide by however high you can kick it then it is to hit a target that is moving and only 2 metres high and a metre wide.

This is why forwards don't have any respect from their team mates. Goal kicking isn't harder than field kicking, that's ridiculous.

And if they do find field kicking easier then they should passing it to better positioned team mates right in front of goal.

You suck at maths ;)

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Nope. That's silly. It's easier to aim for a stationary area that is ten metres wide by however high you can kick it then it is to hit a target that is moving and only 2 metres high and a metre wide.

This is why forwards don't have any respect from their team mates. Goal kicking isn't harder than field kicking, that's ridiculous.

There is also an average goal kicking stat and I am willing to bet Collingwood don't average goal kicking at 71%. That was more of a one off that they won't be able to replicate much.

janty

All Australian
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wonder how FIGJAM Buckley feels about it all?

Probably going down the Mark Jackson/GS Warriors path and taking credit for it all.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
There is also an average goal kicking stat and I am willing to bet Collingwood don't average goal kicking at 71%. That was more of a one off that they won't be able to replicate much.
You know goal kicking is not seriously coached like field kicking, right? Just these big lugs and natural talents who survive on the occasional session after main training.

When Hawkins had the yips, he fixed it by getting some coaching and practicing. Funnily enough his accuracy skyrocketed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back