Who is the 'Average' Australian voter?

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I believe this individual differs a bit from the 'average' Australian.

They tend to be naturally conservative, don't really enjoy the status quo changing to much and aren't really sold on big 'visions' unless they can be sold the premise there will be big benefits i.e. $ jobs.

Also seem to vote with a lot more self interest than any notion of the 'collective'. Would love to know if this is an Australian thing, or reflects most western countries.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well they would be working in Casual employment right now and would not be able to afford a house.

Most of them would still be in reach of buying one of those ponzi blocks out in the fringe for 4-500k. It's not much of a life, but gives them that cool aid that they have satisfied their aspirational urge to get on the property 'ladder'.

Most of them would still be in reach of buying one of those ponzi blocks out in the fringe for 4-500k. It's not much of a life, but gives them that cool aid that they have satisfied their aspirational urge to get on the property 'ladder'.
Not right now, over the half the work force is casual and that does not mean mortgages,

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

A depressing look at life as a swinging voter. The average Australian reeks of ignorance.

Look. The fact is for alot you this may come as a shock. Left wing political nut jobs have the biggest shock because they don't understand or empathise or have the capability of understanding "quiet"/normal australians. I happen to have been in their shoes

The average voter has as much political understanding/news/awareness as us (politically nerds) had when we were 13/14. That assume you aren't psycho and grew up with parents that fed you political news at 3. Aka most greens

And what did we know when we were 13?
Nothing about what the parties are
Nothing about bills/policies
Can't identify which party premier are from or they forget.
Know scott morrison as the PM

And that is OK. because political nerds are truly the scum of the earth including me but I'm atleast aware thus try to act like I know nothing.

Hell if you want a good understanding of what the average voters knows. Then do this experiment

Don't go on social media for 20 days (most voters ignore political post in the news or scroll past it).
Every 4 days turn on the TV on a new channel at 6pm in the background.
Don't google any Australian politician or the Aus gov for 20 days aswell.

So what do Is in the mind of quiet Australians
1) Covid-19 an restrictions
2) Covid-19 payments (Jobkeeper,JobSeeker). Probably don't know which party gave it. The assume is incumbents. That includes state and fed
3) Their vaccination

That is all. Budget, Vaccine rollout, Quarantine doesn't even ring a bell. This is proven by the polls as well. Even though the polls is not accurate in that they assume the respondents have some understanding or awareness of what is going on.

But even though I made it seem like a shot at quiet Australians let me reiterate political nut jobs are truly the worst. Unpleasant people all round

Last edited:

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Look. The fact is for alot you this may come as a shock. Left wing political nut jobs have the biggest shock because they don't understand or empathise or have the capability of understanding "quiet"/normal australians. I happen to have been in their shoes

The average voter has as much political understanding/news/awareness as us (politically nerds) had when we were 13/14. That assume you aren't psycho and grew up with parents that fed you political news at 3. Aka most greens

And what did we know when we were 13?
Nothing about what the parties are
Nothing about bills/policies
Can't identify which party premier are from or they forget.
Know scott morrison as the PM

And that is OK. because political nerds are truly the scum of the earth including me but I'm atleast aware thus try to act like I know nothing.

Hell if you want a good understanding of what the average voters knows. Then do this experiment

Don't go on social media for 20 days (most voters ignore political post in the news or scroll past it).
Every 4 days turn on the TV on a new channel at 6pm in the background.
Don't google any Australian politician or the Aus gov for 20 days aswell.

So what do Is in the mind of quiet Australians
1) Covid-19 an restrictions
2) Covid-19 payments (Jobkeeper,JobSeeker). Probably don't know which party gave it. The assume is incumbents. That includes state and fed
3) Their vaccination

That is all. Budget, Vaccine rollout, Quarantine doesn't even ring a bell. This is proven by the polls as well. Even though the polls is not accurate in that they assume the respondents have some understanding or awareness of what is going on.

But even though I made it seem like a shot at quiet Australians let me reiterate political nut jobs are truly the worst. Unpleasant people all round
That came across as a cry from the wilderness.
Understand in part what you are saying though.
People get tired, worn out, don't simply have the energy to take on the zealots and their agendas.
Most folk don't care and want to be left alone and be comfortable enough to make sure they have a home and regular employment, and if applicable, to make sure their kids have a stress free passage through their school years.
Unfortunately, there is a never ending parade of reactionaries who are perpetually nibbling away at human, environmental and employment rights and equal access to the justice and health systems.
The tired and uninvolved, in their ignorance and apathy, are at the mercy of these motivated reactionaries.
To paraphrase: "One person's cry for justice and equality is seen by another as jumping the queue".
This is the direct cause of why so many people turn unpleasant and cranky.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
They’re just uninformed.

That’s not totally on them - some people surf the internet all day (while they’re working) and naturally are able to dig deeper into things. Anybody who has signed up to an online footy forum and is now conversing regularly in the politics forum falls into that bucket.

This is not true of a much larger group of people. People who aren’t in front of a screen a lot.

Between actual work, sleep, family, etc etc, they don’t have a hell of a lot of time and diving into things in-depth is, understandably, not their idea of entertainment or relaxation.

They get the views from the mainstream media and maybe a quick scroll of social media a few times a day.

When you have dug deeper and discover some truths about what a piece of s**t somebody like Scott Morrison is, it can blow your mind how anybody could vote for him.

But it’s very simple - people just don’t know or see the in-depth stuff. They might hear something in passing but without going into it, it just gets forgotten with a million other things.

At this very time - and for over a decade - the Federal LNP in Australia have the mainstream media totally in the camp.

We have very concentrated media ownership and it has been thoroughly captured.

The LNP know all this - the media management - which is why they’re still in power despite such horrifically bad governing and corrupt behaviour. It just doesn’t matter because people don’t know about it.

Until the ALP gets the media back on side, they’re going nowhere.

It will probably change naturally over a generation anyway, but that’s still a long way off.

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
They’re just uninformed.

That’s not totally on them - some people surf the internet all day (while they’re working) and naturally are able to dig deeper into things. Anybody who has signed up to an online footy forum and is now conversing regularly in the politics forum falls into that bucket.

This is not true of a much larger group of people. People who aren’t in front of a screen a lot.

Between actual work, sleep, family, etc etc, they don’t have a hell of a lot of time and diving into things in-depth is, understandably, not their idea of entertainment or relaxation.

They get the views from the mainstream media and maybe a quick scroll of social media a few times a day.

When you have dug deeper and discover some truths about what a piece of sh*t somebody like Scott Morrison is, it can blow your mind how anybody could vote for him.

But it’s very simple - people just don’t know or see the in-depth stuff. They might hear something in passing but without going into it, it just gets forgotten with a million other things.

At this very time - and for over a decade - the Federal LNP in Australia have the mainstream media totally in the camp.

The LNP know all this - the media management - which is why they’re still in power despite such horrifically bad governing and corrupt behaviour. It just doesn’t matter because people don’t know about it.

It will probably change naturally over a generation anyway, but that’s still a long way off.

That tells you about how bad your party or policies are needing to further rig the media. Let me guess so called centrist Micheal West should replace our media.

Hate to break it to you it gets forgotten because its not important to them end of story. No amount of rigging will change that. People knew about labor climate policies and renewable energy push. Don't worry about that but it did * all because hate to break it to you but its not important to them end of story.

For example if you report that Aus is building more oil plants or cutting down a forest for mine guess what it will get outrage and forgotten about. Even if you rig it.

The fact you are going after center left mainstream outlets is very evil and scummy. Playing the umpire not the player is a dog move. But that's why political nerds are scum

But if you want to play that game then we can play it. That's why I suggest ABC news shouldn't be tax funded and defunded.

In fact given sky news has great reputation in UK. I suggest replace Sky news Aus with ABC. There is no legalisation written that tax funded media has to be ABC. It can be sky news Aus. That's an argument that can be made. ABC ratings are also really bad so a straight swap will do wonders.

Last edited:

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They’re just uninformed.

When you have dug deeper and discover some truths about what a piece of sh*t somebody like Scott Morrison is, it can blow your mind how anybody could vote for him.

Yes. They are uninformed.
But that would not matter if there were not reactionary elements infesting the joint.
Most people are kind and are happy to live and let live. Believe that everybody abides by the common good and lets everyone else get on with their lives.
But for some reason, the reactionary, conservative, religiose and frightened cannot abide that. Even if it does not affect them. Whatever it is, I'm against it.
They make up less than 10% of the population but are motivated, energised, extreme and wield undue influence. Always meddling, always probing.
Corrupt, cynical, amoral hypocrites. But mainly terrified of what I don't know.
And we all suffer for it.

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes. They are uninformed.
But that would not matter if there were not reactionary elements infesting the joint.
Most people are kind and are happy to live and let live. Believe that everybody abides by the common good and lets everyone else get on with their lives.
But for some reason, the reactionary, conservative, religiose and frightened cannot abide that. Even if it does not affect them. Whatever it is, I'm against it.
They make up less than 10% of the population but are motivated, energised, extreme and wield undue influence. Always meddling, always probing.
Corrupt, cynical, amoral hypocrites. But mainly terrified of what I don't know.
And we all suffer for it.
Which party wants to defund mines? Which party wants to stop gas and oil? Which party wants to go after hunting, fishing, logging? Which party wants to go after the banks, private insurance, private schools, chaplins, police. If the left could they would shut that all down instantly and tell workers to retrain they would.

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Which party wants to defund mines? Which party wants to stop gas and oil? Which party wants to go after hunting, fishing, logging? Which party wants to go after the banks, private insurance, private schools, chaplins, police. If the left could they would shut that all down instantly and tell workers to retrain they would.
Sometimes I wonder if you are Gina. You have a similar turn of phrase.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
That tells you about how bad your party or policies are needing to further rig the media. Let me guess so called centrist Micheal West should replace our media.

Hate to break it to you it gets forgotten because its not important to them end of story. No amount of rigging will change that. People knew about labor climate policies and renewable energy push. Don't worry about that but it did fu** all because hate to break it to you but its not important to them end of story.

For example if you report that Aus is building more oil plants or cutting down a forest for mine guess what it will get outrage and forgotten about. Even if you rig it.

The fact you are going after center left mainstream outlets is very evil and scummy. Playing the umpire not the player is a dog move. But that's why political nerds are scum

But if you want to play that game then we can play it. That's why I suggest ABC news shouldn't be tax funded and defunded.

In fact given sky news has great reputation in UK. I suggest replace Sky news Aus with ABC. There is no legalisation written that tax funded media has to be ABC. It can be sky news Aus. That's an argument that can be made. ABC ratings are also really bad so a straight swap will do wonders.

Um

Ok

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
Far from the zealoted 'activist' on Twitter. Those zealots poison everything.

Nobody is perfect and pure as white snow. Everyone has said and done something wrong and most learn from their mistakes. It's impossible to agree 100 percent on everything political and cultural with anybody. Most people are battling demons worthy of empathy.

Most people agree that there should be a welfare system for the unemployed, that climate change is real, that what the cops did to George Floyd was disgraceful, that sexual assault is evil, that we can't just have an economy mostly dependent on one trading partner and not one too dependent on digging holes out of the ground, investment properties, tertiary education revenue etc.

I wish there were more United approaches to issues where people are respectful of others.

Unfortunately the ALP is seen as guilt by association with these zealots and it's their fault. It's that most zealots overwhelmingly prefer them over the Coalition and so they suffer.

The average voter has delivered us to this point in time with Australia boasting one of the highest standards of living on the planet. We have great wealth spread across our communities, universal health care, education systems that are available to all, low unemployment and great safety nets in social security.

We have to work harder to reform many of our tired institutions and stamp out over bureaucratic processes and large departments and reinvest into having all people participating and being rewarded for participating.

We should be proud of the average voter.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Maybe there is no such thing as an "average Aussie" and the population is split into a number of discrete groups.

The ABS did an intellectual exercise on the Census data in 2016 and calculated an "average" (mean, mode or median as appropriate) score on 14 different questions. Then they ran a check of all the census replies for those questions and found that there were no matches for all 14 parameters. i.e. there was no "average Australian".

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The average voter has delivered us to this point in time with Australia boasting one of the highest standards of living on the planet. We have great wealth spread across our communities, universal health care, education systems that are available to all, low unemployment and great safety nets in social security.

We have to work harder to reform many of our tired institutions and stamp out over bureaucratic processes and large departments and reinvest into having all people participating and being rewarded for participating.

We should be proud of the average voter.

Standard of living is high no doubt, but hasn't gone anywhere in 20+ years, if anything has gotten worse.

Universal health care is true in some aspects, but the libs would americanise it in a second if given the oppotuntity.

Education standards are slipping, and slipping really fast. Particularly at high school level.

Lots of employment opportunities, but very few 'permanent' opportunities, again with the decline of unionised workforces stable work has dropped off. Wages haven't moved in 10-15 years.

Safety nets.... Have you tried living on 300 a week when you need to put a roof over your head, eat and live. Throw a kid into the equation and its even harder.

I'm not disputing that Australia is a fantastic place to live, but i say this from a privileged position having access to high education standard, obtaining a stable reasonably paying job and having the benefit of living within close proximity to my job.

If you happen to go through a tough time in your life, or make mistakes which everyone does to a degree, or have a bad health issue, I wouldn't want to be relying on the Australian social 'security' system.

1622815416677.png

CatFan79

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
The average Australian voter looks after their own interests, they vote the party who they think will improve their personal situation.

It's as simple as that. Just admit it and move on.

The average Australian voter looks after their own interests, they vote the party who they think will improve their personal situation.

It's as simple as that. Just admit it and move on.
I'd be better off voting Liberal any day of the week but I understand economics and love my country.

Standard of living is high no doubt, but hasn't gone anywhere in 20+ years, if anything has gotten worse.

you're right

we experienced amazing growth by allowing women into the workforce, enabling them to own property and get bank loans (1980s)

we then experienced amazing growth through globalisation and smashing union controlled industry

we then experienced a tech, communication and data boom

we then experienced a mining boom alongside the greatest emergence of middle class globally leading to increased consumption

all good things come to an end or need a breather. Since then we have had the pulling back of real wages, as we are competing with a global market who work harder and better equipped than Australians. We've had a GFC, pandemic and "now now" governments buying votes placing our kids and unborn into huge amounts of debt.

We need a government that pulls back and thinks strategically rather than keeping their jobs. Paul Keating, Hawke and Howard are examples of the right men for the right time.

Universal health care is true in some aspects, but the libs would americanise it in a second if given the oppotuntity.

I'm not sure that's a factual statement. What is certain though, is the feds should write cheques to the states and the states who run health should run health (this includes NDIS). we should better integrate health, mental health, social security, the judicial system, policing and employment services.......attesting to the need for state control.

Education standards are slipping, and slipping really fast. Particularly at high school level.

In some ways yes and others no. Kids might not know the three Rs as well as the 1960s but they are far more knowledgable than ever before.

What they lack though is the ability to concentrate, be patient and see opportunity.

Lots of employment opportunities, but very few 'permanent' opportunities, again with the decline of unionised workforces stable work has dropped off. Wages haven't moved in 10-15 years.

Agree

but who ambition is it to be a slave to someone else and JUST be a wage taker?

If one feels they have value (including a worker) they should see themselves as a business unit. Some business units are stand alone and other integrated in a larger operation. but there is always demand for people who bring value..............if you don't have value, then think about evolving.

Safety nets.... Have you tried living on 300 a week when you need to put a roof over your head, eat and live. Throw a kid into the equation and its even harder.

Safety nets are as important to the most successful as the most vulnerable people in our society. Safety nets mean you can take more risk in life, such a business knowing you will only fall so far. The dole and the concept of bankruptcy are examples of this.

The dole should be low but "the participation dole" reasonable. ie. ignore the figures but look at the concept....$250 for the dole but $400 for manning a train station and walking people to their car safely and looking after the flower boxes.

I'd have participation for the pension and do chess classes, painting classes, singing and bowling etc just like China does for the elderly. Stay at home pension $250, participate $400.

I'm not disputing that Australia is a fantastic place to live, but i say this from a privileged position having access to high education standard, obtaining a stable reasonably paying job and having the benefit of living within close proximity to my job.

If you happen to go through a tough time in your life, or make mistakes which everyone does to a degree, or have a bad health issue, I wouldn't want to be relying on the Australian social 'security' system.

you're right, never ever rely upon the government or others to help you and think of yourself as lucky if friends, family and the government are there in your time of need.

Take a look at jews, mental health, aborigines, catholics etc etc have been treated over time by governments.

but what is certain is current Australia is not only one of the best in the word today, it has also never been better in the past.

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

A depressing look at life as a swinging voter. The average Australian reeks of ignorance.
Oh please you are not treating that piece ABC rubbish seriously.
The ABC have an agenda to get rid of Morrison. In return they will be given a massive boost in their budget and then they can employ every lefty journalist looking for a job. At the last election we had Jon Faine openly supporting Shorten and the Greens. Anybody who contradicted him on climate change was cut off. One infamous call he interrupted someone and said I am not letting this go on and will not take any more calls from climate change deniers. Professor Faine had made up his mind.

If the ABC was a private station, no problem. They could read Marx all day on the airwaves for all I cared. However, this is a taxpayer funded organization and all you hear is left-wing diatribe. Not one centrist or right-leaning commentator. They banned Andrew Bolt from the Insiders panel because he had his own show at Chanel 10 at the time, but Waleed Aly and his show on Channel 10 is ok for him to continue and to appear on the Insiders.

Time to sell off the ABC and SBS as they can no longer be trusted to be independent.

Back