Who is the 'Average' Australian voter?

Remove this Banner Ad

poor quality journalism that engages in misleading and deceptive conduct

we deserve better and the ABC should be reformed or wound up
Rubbish.What poor journalism have you seen? They don't get as much funding as they used to either.
They produce shows on little money.
You haven't provided any examples or arguments why you want it wound up.
You sound like Peta Credlin or andrew bolt .
The ABC is the only advertisement free media so they aren't influenced or paid what to say.

Rubbish.What poor journalism have you seen? They don't get as much funding as they used to either.
They produce shows on little money.
You haven't provided any examples or arguments why you want it wound up.
You sound like Peta Credlin or andrew bolt .
The ABC is the only advertisement free media so they aren't influenced or paid what to say.

1) you seem to be getting a little emotional with references to credlin
2) the ABC does have advertising
3) The ABC have attacked governments who have even considered the ABC bucket of funds

My preference would be to introduce laws that impact all journalist, not just the ABC. The laws would need to have very high thresholds to preserve the concepts of free media and be administered by an independent body (even a panel of journalists).

One blatantly false bit of ABC reporting recently claimed the Fukushima nuclear reactor killed thousands or by inference caused the tsunami.

There has to be better quality controls but the main purpose should be to mitigate misleading and deceptive conduct and to preserve democracy and the important role of quality investigative journalism.

Even your own posts highlight there is an issue with the ABC and politics. This highlights the do not report without bias.

Yep those Communists at "Play School" need to be brought under control . What a load of bullshit .
As for SBS , i have watched some fantastic drama from around the world that no FTA channel would ever show , because it has sub titles .
Stop pretending that ABC and SBS are only political news channels . They are far more than that .
And please explain , if FTA is dead ,why is SKY so eager to continue broadcasting into rural Australia using Prime and Southern Cross .
I object to tax payer money being gifted to Foxtel , please tell me why it is ok.

I believe this individual differs a bit from the 'average' Australian.

They tend to be naturally conservative, don't really enjoy the status quo changing to much and aren't really sold on big 'visions' unless they can be sold the premise there will be big benefits i.e. $ jobs.

Also seem to vote with a lot more self interest than any notion of the 'collective'. Would love to know if this is an Australian thing, or reflects most western countries.
A service worker earning under 50k in their mid 30's to 40's who lives in one of Australia's 3 big cities.

The avg Australian is not some barking mad 60+ year old farmer, who watches Sky News all day and is sitting on a couple of million in assets.

A service worker earning under 50k in their mid 30's to 40's who lives in one of Australia's 3 big cities.

The avg Australian is not some barking mad 60+ year old farmer, who watches Sky News all day and is sitting on a couple of million in assets.

What is a service worker? What is the average wage & why does it apply to the average worker?
Why does this service worker have any particular media interests or wealth? How does wealth reflect in this average worker ?

Obviously the longer you have been working the greater the ability to accumulate assets.
Obviously the longer you have been out of the education phase, the more your views are formed by your own mind rather than the views of your parents or teachers.
If you have worked for yourself & employed people (the responsibilty to pay them every week, provide for their sickness & holidays, pay their pay their superannuation & payg tax), the better your understanding of the concept of employment.

So who is this service worker?

Yep those Communists at "Play School" need to be brought under control . What a load of bullshit .
As for SBS , i have watched some fantastic drama from around the world that no FTA channel would ever show , because it has sub titles .
Stop pretending that ABC and SBS are only political news channels . They are far more than that .
And please explain , if FTA is dead ,why is SKY so eager to continue broadcasting into rural Australia using Prime and Southern Cross .
I object to tax payer money being gifted to Foxtel , please tell me why it is ok.

It’s interesting that you focus on politics

It’s interesting that you focus on politics
On the politics board? yeah really weird.
C'mon. The Libs are going to pay Murdoch to broadcast propaganda favourable to their side of politics into as many free to air screens in Aus as they can and you think having a national broadcaster with a traditional journalistic mandate to hold power to account is the problem?

C'mon. The Libs are going to pay Murdoch to broadcast propaganda favourable to their side of politics into as many free to air screens in Aus as they can and you think having a national broadcaster with a traditional journalistic mandate to hold power to account is the problem?

Ever think the comment might be rhetorical.
The OP was on about Play School ....

It highlights that the issue is one of politics rather than defending the concepts of free media AND improving media. What I'm proposing is mitigating misleading and deceptive conduct, passing off infotainment as news and improving quality..........for all media

Yet those against quality journalism come back with politics and Murdoch

It highlights that the issue is one of politics rather than defending the concepts of free media AND improving media. What I'm proposing is mitigating misleading and deceptive conduct, passing off infotainment as news and improving quality..........for all media

Yet those against quality journalism come back with politics and Murdoch
I read that several times and I still have no idea what point you're trying to make.
All of the things you propose mitigating are basically the business model of Newscorp.

I read that several times and I still have no idea what point you're trying to make.
All of the things you propose mitigating are basically the business model of Newscorp.

so you should have no concerns then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on a bunch of feels that have rarely been backed by fact, it's become an article of faith for some that the ABC should be defunded.

agree

That's why an independent framework should be implemented. This will collect the facts, not just the ABC but for all media.

All the outlets including but not limited to the Guardian, Newscorp and the ABC have got significant room for improvement.

Based on a bunch of feels that have rarely been backed by fact, it's become an article of faith for some that the ABC should be defunded.

A noisy minority only. No different to noise from t'other side. Irrelevant they are to who forms Government.

A large majority want the public broadcaster, its what it has become that is the question.

A noisy minority only. No different to noise from t'other side. Irrelevant they are to who forms Government.

A large majority want the public broadcaster, its what it has become that is the question.
I suspect you are wrong. The ABC viewership and ratings is very ordinary. For e.g. Q&A ratings have plummetted. At the very least it should be compelled to advertise and give something back like SBS has done. The ABC should be restructured to cater for rural audiences. It should be re-located to a rural area where it can create its own culture and create an industry for the bush. All it does now is employ inner suburban lefties, who work out of very expensive inner suburban studios, and only ever push one agenda which is the left. They could save $200-300m in staff costs by re-locating and would create a dynamic and vibrant industry in the bush.

Ita Buttrose defends moving ABC political show Q&A as it ...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk › article-9607767 › Ita-But...

22 May 2021 — The ABC chairwomen stood by her choice, despite the political program suffering its lowest-ever ratings after the move.

I suspect you are wrong. The ABC viewership and ratings is very ordinary. For e.g. Q&A ratings have plummetted. At the very least it should be compelled to advertise and give something back like SBS has done. The ABC should be restructured to cater for rural audiences. It should be re-located to a rural area where it can create its own culture and create an industry for the bush. All it does now is employ inner suburban lefties, who work out of very expensive inner suburban studios, and only ever push one agenda which is the left. They could save $200-300m in staff costs by re-locating and would create a dynamic and vibrant industry in the bush.

Ita Buttrose defends moving ABC political show Q&A as it ...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk › article-9607767 › Ita-But...

22 May 2021 — The ABC chairwomen stood by her choice, despite the political program suffering its lowest-ever ratings after the move.

I was referring to defunding, see the quote I replied to.

Holding it to the Charter should be the responsibility of the Board & if they dont have the power, the Government should remedy that.

Holding it to the Charter should be the responsibility of the Board & if they dont have the power, the Government should remedy that.

So you want politicians who won't abide by their own Ministerial Charter to remedy the ABC?

I've served on boards with ABC directors and I've questioned their powers and inability to hold the organisation to account. The response was, they have no input or say over the product.

This has to change and the board needs to be accountable. For them to be accountable, they need the power to act.

So you want politicians who won't abide by their own Ministerial Charter to remedy the ABC?

IF you read what was said, if the Board does not have the power, the Government should remedy that, aka give the Board the power to enforce the ABC Charter.
Happy to fund the national broadcaster, its a 2 way street, the Charter outlines the 't's & c's'.

I've served on boards with ABC directors and I've questioned their powers and inability to hold the organisation to account. The response was, they have no input or say over the product.

This has to change and the board needs to be accountable. For them to be accountable, they need the power to act.

Why would anyone sit on a Board that is meaningless, just for the money?

Why would anyone sit on a Board that is meaningless, just for the money?

I do find the role strange

They would approve a budget to secure government funding then revise the budget based on funds received

Appoint the CEO

Approve strategy

But I feel they should have greater accountability in regards to content, culture and operations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back