Who is the best coach in the league at the moment?

Which coach is the best?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I would be more interested in a thread about who is the worst coach, as right now I want to vote for Longmire. He can take a pretty good list and make it play terribly. Why develop a new game plan when the old one Paul Roos gave you will do.
Think Worsfold would have him covered

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Kevin Sheedy had 4 premierships when he was coaching us, no one suggested he was the best coach in the game at the time though.

It would be like us bringing Kennedy Snr out of retirement.

Sheedy was more than a decade on since being a good coach. And even then it was massive cap breeches and dodges which provided the success in 2000.

For mine, the top four are clearly (in no order)

Clarkson
Fagan
Simpson
Hardwick

While Clarko is one of the GOAT, purely based off achievement you'd have to have the other two ahead of Fagan. With that said, I think Fagan has a very impressive legacy as the 'coach of coaches' and you'd have to ask where the other three would be without him. No doubt still successful, but it's a game of 1%ers so who knows.

Fagans form as a senior coach is beginning to prove itself but there's still plenty to go before he will take Brisbane to the finals or beyond. IF he can do that, I'd have him as second on this list.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
Clarkson has coached two straight sets exits which is something no other coach has done under the current finals format.

Not even Mark Williams achieved that in the early 2000's and his Port Adelaide sides were notorious for choking in finals.

Clarko has also coached a threepeat and is the best coach in modern football by that far it is barely worthwhile debating the point.

Your post is utter rubbish.

Black Stripe

Yellow Paint
Feb 15, 2019
Liverpool
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Oklahoma City and Sydney Thunder
Clarko has also coached a threepeat and is the best coach in modern football by that far it is barely worthwhile debating the point.

Your post is utter rubbish.

The post you quoted was me responding to someone asking how could anyone go past Clarkson as the best coach.

Two straight sets exits is a valid point regarding that which is why I brought it up.

Another argument that could be made to suggest Clarkson isn't the best coach is his negative head to head record against Chris Scott.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The post you quoted was me responding to someone asking how could anyone go past Clarkson as the best coach.

Two straight sets exits is a valid point regarding that which is why I brought it up.

Another argument that could be made to suggest Clarkson isn't the best coach is his negative head to head record against Chris Scott.

And your arguments are rubbish.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.

The guy has 4 flags and is considered among the greatest of all time, and yet a slightly inferior record against another single coach overrides this? Is this seriously one of your arguments? You know nothing about football and are the worst debater in the history of the internet. Either that or you are just another jealous troll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
Nah, Clarko did the same thing only a couple of hours later.

No one ever writes off Hawthorn, they might not be Premiership favourites but only an idiot would back them to miss the 8 so you cant compare them to how Port are perceived.
Only 2 sides won interstate, Port and Hawthorn and considering the Hawks go ok in Adelaide, getting the Power over the line in Melbourne is a better result.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
No one ever writes off Hawthorn, they might not be Premiership favourites but only an idiot would back them to miss the 8 so you cant compare them to how Port are perceived.
Only 2 sides won interstate, Port and Hawthorn and considering the Hawks go ok in Adelaide, getting the Power over the line in Melbourne is a better result.

Well they were $2.50 to make the 8 before the weekend so I guess there are a lot of idiots in the bookmaking business.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Didn’t you want Clarkson sacked at one point?

I don't recall wanting him sacked but may have vented my frustration with AC's unwillingness to recruit/develop a big defender around 2009-10 and like all staff at all organisations, his role should be and was scrutinised. In any event that was the best part of 10 years ago. Feel free to waste your life trawling through posts from a decade back...but whilst you do, perhaps you need to come clean on what opinions you may have held in the past that you don't hold now.

As a younger adult I believed in both God and the death penalty. I now disbelieve in both of those things. Going back even further, I did believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy for a time until the facts came to hand.

A reasonable person is able to change their mind in the face of new evidence. Only ignorant and unreasonable people point the finger at those who do.

In any event, your question is completely beside the point.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
What are the odds at the 'moment'

Well you would think that both Port's and Hawthorn's odds had come in. Let's not forget that Port Adelaide were a top 4 "certainty" with 6 rounds to go last season. They are hardly that hacks that you are making them out to be.

Back