Who is the best coach in the league at the moment?

Which coach is the best?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean, I voted Simpson just because I had the feeling Clarkson was so far ahead that it wouldn't matter, and my own team and 2018 yadda yadda yadda. But anyone with more than 2 brain cells to scrape together (I said two, because if I said like 4 or 5 that's half of bigfooty out the window) would instantly pick Clarkson. There's just no comparison really. A man that helped build one of the greatest teams of all time, versus everybody else. Easy pick.

Adam Simpson and Nathan Buckley based on the past events of 12 months (not collective body of work, otherwise Clarko obviously gets the chocolates)

For West Coast to win a final on foreign/biased soil without two of their most important top five players (Nic-Nat and Gaff) is the impressive coaching performance in years.

Buckley seems to have taken his mentoring talents to a new level this season as well. Fagan may well be in this conversation by season's end FWIW

Brendan Bolton for me, I mean if he can keep delivering wooden spoons for dear old Carlton then I’m happy so therefore in my eyes he is the best coach.

So there are like 4 players from when he took over but he hasn't rebuilt a club?
I agree Clarkson is the best Coach, but your logic is flawed.

My logic is flawed? Seriously?

Clarkson came in when Hawthorn were a basket case. Scott took over a side that had recently won a couple of flags and still had the core of that side. Scott has never had to build his own list and certainly he hasn't had to do it from basically scratch. Just because there are only 4 players there from when Scott took over...well that could be said of any coach that has been at one club as long as he has. Players get rotated every year. Scott inherited a top 4 side. Clarkson came in when Hawthorn had just completed a glorious 4 win season. There is a massive difference. Only a moron doesn't understand that.

What I find interesting is that you made zero comment about the argument (if you can call it that) of the guy that I quoted. His beacon of wisdom essentially is that Scott is a better coach than Clarkson because Scott leads Clarkson in the H2H count. That is his argument. Not the number of flags. Not Clarkson's win/loss record against other coaches relative to Scott's. NO...his one argument is that Scott is a better coach than Clarkson because of their H2H record. Well, on that basis, both Longmire and Buckley are better coaches than Scott yet Clarkson has resounding leads against both of those guys.

You also completely ignore any of the other points that I and others have made through this thread, so why would I give your pathetic rebuttal any credit at all?

Last edited:
My logic is flawed? Seriously?

Clarkson came in when Hawthorn were a basket case. Scott took over a side that had recently won a couple of flags and still had the core of that side. Scott has never had to build his own list and certainly he hasn't had to do it from basically scratch. Just because there are only 4 players there from when Scott took over...well that could be said of any coach that has been at one club as long as he has. Players get rotated every year. Scott inherited a top 4 side. Clarkson came in when Hawthorn had just completed a glorious 4 win season. There is a massive difference. Only a moron doesn't understand that.

What I find interesting is that you made zero comment about the argument (if you can call it that) of the guy that I quoted. His beacon of wisdom essentially is that Scott is a better coach than Clarkson because Scott leads Clarkson in the H2H count. That is his argument. Not the number of flags. Not Clarkson's win/loss record against other coaches relative to Scott's. NO...his one argument is that Scott is a better coach than Clarkson because of their H2H record. Well, on that basis, both Longmire and Buckley are better coaches than Scott yet Clarkson has resounding leads against both of those guys.

You also completely ignore any of the other points that I and others have made through this thread, so why would I give your pathetic rebuttal any credit at all?
Actually Clarkson's record against Leon ain't great either. Given Leon learned how to coach in the Hawks structure under Clarkson and currently has no flags it doesn't mean much though.

Actually Clarkson's record against Leon ain't great either. Given Leon learned how to coach in the Hawks structure under Clarkson and currently has no flags it doesn't mean much though.

Reckon LC would have a pretty handy record against most of them given his side wins a lot of games.

Has to be Clarko - has the runs on the board, no question. Were I Clarko's advisor though, I'd say walk away from senior coaching once his current contract ends - go out with a great legacy, don't chase more dollars and put yourself under the pressure of trying to emulate Hawthorn-style success somewhere else.

Happy to see Fagan in third on the voting though - although almost all of those votes would be Lions fans (like me, I voted for him :p)

Im going to take a stab at Stewie Dew, lets see how the basketcase Suns keep on keeping on.
They cant sack Dew regardless in my view. Stability has to be their priority right now, there is no magic bullet.

I can't see he's done anything wrong yet anyway, it was always going to take time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarkson's record against Cameron is 0 wins 1 draw 3 losses.

No one would suggest Cameron is a better coach than Clarkson though, simply because Clarkson is a premiership coach whereas Cameron is not.

Chris Scott on the other hand is a premiership coach and has a win percentage of 70% which is the greatest win percentage of any coach in history who has coached 150 games or more, and of course is far superior to Clarkson's win percentage which is 62%

Chris Scott initially applied for the head coaching position at Port Adelaide at the end of 2010 but they rejected him and opted to hire Matthew Primus instead, a decision in which I no doubt believe Port Adelaide would be regretting to this very day.

Clarkson's record against Cameron is 0 wins 1 draw 3 losses.

No one would suggest Cameron is a better coach than Clarkson though, simply because Clarkson is a premiership coach whereas Cameron is not.

Chris Scott on the other hand is a premiership coach and has a win percentage of 70% which is the greatest win percentage of any coach in history who has coached 150 games or more, and of course is far superior to Clarkson's win percentage which is 62%

Chris Scott initially applied for the head coaching position at Port Adelaide at the end of 2010 but they rejected him and opted to hire Matthew Primus instead, a decision in which I no doubt believe Port Adelaide would be regretting to this very day.
Why did you quote me to say what I'd said like it was some great revelation I'd overlooked?

I don't agree with that at all. He inherited a good list and a club with a great off field outlook.

Sure Primus didn't work out, but I doubt many would have given the very limited resources at his disposal. Every likely appointment would have been a dead man walking.

Im going to take a stab at Stewie Dew, lets see how the basketcase Suns keep on keeping on.
That would be even dumber than extending Lyon (again)

I feel this week is a defining game for Hardwick. Injuries to crucial players and road trip to play one of the better sides.

Collingwood have shown twice how to beat us - the other coaches have been watching. At the moment Hardwick is all about sticking to systems and ignoring what the opposition do. He basically never adapts in real time. No gameday plan B, so to speak.

If GWS play the keepings off game the way Collingwood did, and it works Hardwick is going to have to re-invent us mid season. A big ask.

Back