Who is the best contested mark in the AFL?

Who is the best contested mark in the AFL?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

FFS! Send this thread to the Tigers board. You’ve got a tawdry history of creating threads on the main board, who’s sole purpose is to start a wankfest amongst Richmond supporters about how fantastic some average Tiger player is.
Lol. The Dustin Martin thread had over 3,000 posts and had good discussion.
Lynch and Gawn lead the contested marks stats last year so what's your problemo?
Maybe because no Collingwood player is in the top ten?

In 2022 it was clearly Tom Lynch at 3.2/game. He was also great in front of goal with the highest goals/game ratio.

Gawn next best at 2.5/game.

McKay 2.2, Naughton 2.1 and Hawkins 1.9 not even close.
Numbers year on year don’t mean a lot. Tom Lynch wouldnt even be top 20 from the 2 years before that.

All the top contested marks cycle back to a rolling average on almost spot on 2.0 contested marks per game. Lynch, Gawn, McKay, Dixon, Naughton. Then Hawkins, Curnow, Darling a tiny statistical level below.

So it’s all about who wins the contested situations they shouldnt.

id put Gawn, Hawkins, Naughton, Lynch.

None as good as Matthew Richardson was though.

Whilst someone like Stewart is a star he would struggle to take have the marks in his own forward 50.

He is also shorter than what he appears. 190cm is tall but in footy terms, it certainly isn't.
Most KPD's are around 195-200cm.

I wonder if the OP ever gets tired of creating all these bignoting self-aggrandizing threads? I mean it's actually friggin' hilarious how transparent it is.

Same as me creating a thread saying 'who is the best goal assist player in the league currently'? We all know it's Hawkins, so the poll is completely premeditated, in its design to achieve its aim of 'Richmond player is the best' - rinse and repeat.

We all know Lynch had the most last season according to footywire, and in recent seasons it's basically been Gawn and Lynch...so what is the point of a thread like this, if not to just pump up yet another Richmond player - especially if you deign to disagree and pick Gawn, Naughton or 'Other' as the poll suggests.

It's become like the child yelling out to mummy at the pool 'hey watch me, pay attention to me, look at me, I'm gonna do a cannonball, HEY watch me, watch me, watch me, LOVE ME!' :tearsofjoy:

Seriously, it's enough with these threads, Richmond, Geelong or otherwise, it belongs on your own board. Main board is a cesspool these days because of threads like this.

Seriously, the people who do this, stop trying to create discord and stop searching for recognition all the time - it really has just gotten oh so sad and oh so predictable.
Calm down school goes back soon. Not that it will have any influence on Aristotle Pickett. It's a shame he hasn't put the same amount of effort into a sport Big Footy could have their own world champion

I wonder if the OP ever gets tired of creating all these bignoting self-aggrandizing threads? I mean it's actually friggin' hilarious how transparent it is.

Same as me creating a thread saying 'who is the best goal assist player in the league currently'? We all know it's Hawkins, so the poll is completely premeditated, in its design to achieve its aim of 'Richmond player is the best' - rinse and repeat.

We all know Lynch had the most last season according to footywire, and in recent seasons it's basically been Gawn and Lynch...so what is the point of a thread like this, if not to just pump up yet another Richmond player - especially if you deign to disagree and pick Gawn, Naughton or 'Other' as the poll suggests.

It's become like the child yelling out to mummy at the pool 'hey watch me, pay attention to me, look at me, I'm gonna do a cannonball, HEY watch me, watch me, watch me, LOVE ME!' :tearsofjoy:

Seriously, it's enough with these threads, Richmond, Geelong or otherwise, it belongs on your own board. Main board is a cesspool these days because of threads like this.

Seriously, the people who do this, stop trying to create discord and stop searching for recognition all the time - it really has just gotten oh so sad and oh so predictable.
You're reading too much into my interesting threads.
The winner in the poll is Aaron Naughton anyway.
Contested marks don't get talked about much but the coaches rate it very highly.
For example I didn't realize Max King was high up in the ratings.
If it's a s**t thread it will disapear through lack of posts.
It's the off-season ffs , what sort of threads do you want?
Do one on whatever you want.

“Max King doesn’t have much spring”- I think I’ve officially heard it all now! 😄

Max has a huge leap, so much so that he gets up so high when he’s flying for marks sometimes that I’m genuinely concerned that he’s going to hurt himself when he lands. You hear the crowd gasp he gets up so high.

While Dermott Brereton said that when he was working with us in Max’s first year that he’d never seen anybody mark the ball higher off the ground than Max was.

I mean fair dinkum!
EF09AB0B-C0A9-4727-99CE-F29C5A07D61F.jpeg
1E33333F-DFAC-428C-8D8D-6E1B5518138B.jpeg 01FDF34D-51E4-4698-B3F9-81F6EBD35BC1.jpeg 9E967928-3C50-44CB-AE75-D4BE73FB5C0B.jpeg 1182829B-F9FB-4CF2-AE4C-3E9FA127FF76.jpeg

Hawkins along with Bailey Fritsch would be two of the best uncontested chest marks I have ever seen, and I have been watching footy a long time.

Cool story, this is a thread about contested marks.

Want a penile measuring discussion about uncontested marks, make another thread....

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having the most doesn't mean he's the best, there are all sorts of reasons why a player might be in a position to take more contested marks in a game.

Sure, heck I reckon Liam Baker is a great contested mark for a guy who's about 175cm.

He's just not often in a position to take one.

Reality is that Lynch is, takes the most, kicked a load of goals in 2022 and probably did the most damage.

Gawn taking a contested grab every two quarters on the wing isn't half as valuable IMO.

Numbers year on year don’t mean a lot. Tom Lynch wouldnt even be top 20 from the 2 years before that.

All the top contested marks cycle back to a rolling average on almost spot on 2.0 contested marks per game. Lynch, Gawn, McKay, Dixon, Naughton. Then Hawkins, Curnow, Darling a tiny statistical level below.

So it’s all about who wins the contested situations they shouldnt.

id put Gawn, Hawkins, Naughton, Lynch.

None as good as Matthew Richardson was though.

Richo was something else.

I thought Lowe was great also at the time.

Sure, heck I reckon Liam Baker is a great contested mark for a guy who's about 175cm.

He's just not often in a position to take one.

Reality is that Lynch is, takes the most, kicked a load of goals in 2022 and probably did the most damage.

Gawn taking a contested grab every two quarters on the wing isn't half as valuable IMO.
None of that really disputes what I said. He could be in the position to take them more often due to the Tigers' system, or a lack of pace to get them out on the lead. No doubt he's a great mark, however.

I think out of that list I would say King.

Fyfe is very good for a midfielder or was very good.

Toby Greene for small forwards.
Also the mark of the year winner Gorgiades has great hands for a 3rd tall.

I think out of that list I would say King.

Fyfe is very good for a midfielder or was very good.

Toby Greene for small forwards.
Also the mark of the year winner Gorgiades has great hands for a 3rd tall.

You can say it Lingy. Richmond player Tom Lynch just had a season where he recorded the highest average contested marks of any player for the last decade and the second highest ever recorded(after Cloke in 2011 from memory.) Therefore it would stand to reason he is the best contested mark in the AFL right now.

You can be the one who transcends the Cats v Tigers rift on here, simply by saying facts are facts, and Lynch is the best contested mark. You know you want to Lingy. 😁

You can say it Lingy. Richmond player Tom Lynch just had a season where he recorded the highest average contested marks of any player for the last decade and the second highest ever recorded(after Cloke in 2011 from memory.) Therefore it would stand to reason he is the best contested mark in the AFL right now.

You can be the one who transcends the Cats v Tigers rift on here, simply by saying facts are facts, and Lynch is the best contested mark. You know you want to Lingy. 😁
He is a very good player, I think King has a more traditional contested mark but lynch runs to better areas and has a better all round game at the moment than almost anyone in his position.

Bill Ryan

0ea36.RyanMark.jpg

Did he actually take that one?

Back