Who is the best current ATP player not to have won a Grand Slam?

Best current player not to have won a Slam?

• Kei Nishikori

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Tomas Berdych

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Milos Raonic

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Grigor Dimitrov

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • David Ferrer

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Jo Wilfred Tsonga

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
I suppose one way you could answer this is by eliminating the current players to have won a Grand Slam and picking the winners of the four Grand Slam events to find the best "all round" player.

IMO, if you eliminated Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray, Wawrinka (plus Del Potro, Cilic and Hewitt even though those three probably wouldn't feature in this discussion anyway), my predictions for the four Grand Slams this year would be.

Aussie Open: Berdych
French Open: Ferrer
Wimbledon: Raonic
US Open: Nishikori

All round, I reckon Tomas the Tank is the best not to have won a Slam.
4th round
French X 4, Aus x 7, Wimbledon x 6, US x 6

QF
French X 2, Aus x 4, Wimbledon x 3, US x 2

SF
French X 1, Aus x 1, Wimbledon x 1, US x 1

F
Wimbledon x 1

Am I correct in saying he is the only current player to have made a SF of every Slam apart from those who have won a Slam?

Kaan

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
David Ferrer easily. He was in a tier of his own as the 5th best player for a good 4 years.

He doesn't have the ceiling of Berdych or Tsonga but he could beat them 6 times out of 10. David Ferrer's prime:

RxUjPyt.jpg

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers, Houston Astros
David Ferrer easily. He was in a tier of his own as the 5th best player for a good 4 years.

He doesn't have the ceiling of Berdych or Tsonga but he could beat them 6 times out of 10. David Ferrer's prime:

RxUjPyt.jpg

Easily the most consistent performer outside of the big 4 for some time now

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Berdych:
berdych.jpg

Ferrer:
Ferrer.JPG

Ferrer has a higher win/loss %
9:7 QF record in favour of Ferrer
5: 3 SF record in favour of Ferrer
Both have played a final

Therefore Ferrer > Berdych

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I knew we would have someone comparing their careers instead of as of now.

Even in recent times, Ferrer is still arguably the better current ATP player out of the two not to have won a grand slam.

Berdych has one title in the last two years. He lost to Ferrer in the final at Doha this year.

Berdych is notorious for underachieving in finals, and has a pretty bare trophy cabinet. In 2013 he maintained his top 5 ranking without a title.

Berdych also has a despicable record against the big 3. Tomorrow Rafa will have his 18th straight win against him. Last two times against Djokovic he got has arse absolutely handed to him in horrible displays and was lucky to not get double bagelled. And he got smacked by Wawrinka in London in Nov 2014. If people actually watched this tournament it would be interesting to see what their opinion would be of him. Against the world's best he looked very ordinary.

He is absolutely miles from a grand slam title. Mostly in his head. And his terrible second serve doesnt help either.

Nishikori and Raonic have more of a chance at this stage. Nishikori in particular.

Last edited:

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tsonga for mine. Has so much talent just needs to put it altogether.

I love Tsonga but he is well and truly falling off the pace now unfortunately. And is getting more and more prone to injury.

If he can hold his body together you never know. But he has had disappointing seasons the last 5 years or so, bar a masters 1000 win last year.

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
I love Tsonga but he is well and truly falling off the pace now unfortunately. And is getting more and more prone to injury.

If he can hold his body together you never know. But he has had disappointing seasons the last 5 years or so, bar a masters 1000 win last year.

Yeah but to me this thread is not about who has come close and hasn't won a major it is who is the best current player not to win one.
I think in his prime he was amazing.
The moment he got Roger Rasheed as coach people were saying that he would finally become what he hasn't yet become. Unfortunately it didn't quite work out, but if it did he could have been a major winner that's for sure.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Berdych and Tsonga are 29 and Ferrer 32. I think they'd probably have to break through very soon if it's ever going to happen. Dimitrov and Raonic are getting to that age where they can really take their games to the next level. And Nishikori has already reached the stage where he can really go for a major. Ferrer will never get there and I think, to be honest, he wouldn't have really deserved to be a Grand Slam winner. Super consistent, but just not up to the big guns.

Purely in terms of talent, Richard Gasquet would have to be up there. Has never looked like getting close to a Grand Slam, but his best tennis is beautiful to watch.

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yeah but to me this thread is not about who has come close and hasn't won a major it is who is the best current player not to win one.
I think in his prime he was amazing.
The moment he got Roger Rasheed as coach people were saying that he would finally become what he hasn't yet become. Unfortunately it didn't quite work out, but if it did he could have been a major winner that's for sure.

Dont think the coach change was to blame, but rather his body. I think I read that Rasheed and Tsonga just couldnt work well because of the language barrier. But yeah I agree he was definitely a candidate to break through a few years ago.

Rasheed is doing wonders for Dimitrov. Had success with Hewitt, Monfils and Tsonga.

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Would have to say Caroline Wozniacki fits into this category pretty well for WTA players.

Held the #1 ranking for 67 weeks. Her best chance to win a major came in the 2009 US Open final against Kim Clijsters; however, she lost in straight sets. Followed up that performance with 2 straight semi-final appearances in New York in 2010 & 2011.

Amazing Bombers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
I think results wise Ferrer has got the most out of his game which deserves credit even though I'm not really a fan. Tsonga and Berdych have had some good individual moments , the standout being the 2008 Australian open for Tsonga and for Berdych making the Wimbledon final in 2010. With the recent wins by Stan and Cilic maybe it means these 2 might still have a chance, more so Berdych because I think Tsonga might be done unfortunately. Dimitrov , Nishikori and Raonic all have their best ahead of them.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Tsonga is the only player in that group who has the game to take out all of the big four, and who has taken out a couple of them in quick succession (multiple times). Has the game to compete at all of the slams and, at his best, none of the top ten players are unbeatable. Berdych and Ferrer have struggled to beat the top-line players for as long as I can remember. Nishikori, Dimitrov and Raonic are still too young to say that they deserved to win a slam.

On current form, you would likely say that Nishikori is the best player of the non-slam winners - however, if we're talking about players who have already reached a level capable of winning a slam but failed to capitalise, Tsonga is the only answer for me.

Back