Who is the best ever tackler in AFL football?

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel Kerr was a fierce tackler. Was quick enough to run players down from behind, and strong enough to take down rampaging Barry Hall and Fraser Gehrig in their primes. All 3 of those tackles are in the first minute of vid below.

Speaking of Kerr, he was on the receiving end of one of the best tackles I've seen from Gilbert.

Obviously everyone remember people from their own teams especially for such a niche subject so I won't pretend to know the best ever. Instead I'll just say the top 5 currently in the team are Yeo, Cripps, Shuey, Redden and Masten :moustache:

Daniel Kerr was a fierce tackler. Was quick enough to run players down from behind, and strong enough to take down rampaging Barry Hall and Fraser Gehrig in their primes. All 3 of those tackles are in the first minute of vid below.

Kerr was a ripper.
Took Fraser easy, maybe struggled a little with Barry. Loved that he just kept going.

Sir Lenny hard to top.

His tackles on Easton Wood and Dane Swan in the GF were rippers

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lenny is the father.

Steele is the son.

Parker is the Holy Spirit.

Jack Viney has layed some of the best tackles I've ever seen. The tackle on Weller comes to mind immediately when I think of a clean hard and effective tackle.

Tacklers today are so much better than even 10 years ago. An average tackler in 2019 would be a very good tackler is 2009. Today they do not tackle just to stop a player, they tackle to pin an arm and draw a free kick.

Having said that, Cyril was best run down tackler I can remember, Lenny was best stop them in their tracks tackler.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back