Who is the best full back in the league - Leppitsch, B.Graham or Mcintosh ?

Remove this Banner Ad

geelong4eva

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2000
australia
I might be biased, but I firmly believe that Graham would be the highest rated Fullback in the league this year, simply because of his consistency, discipline, and his booming kicks which usually find their target even 55 metres out. I discount Silvangi and Martyn as they have missed a few games this year, and um, there's no other real decent full backs at the moment is there ?

Mighty Mick Martyn is THE best Fullback in the competition.

Compare his record to the other full-backs over the past decade and his record stands out.

Just ask the best full-forward to ever play the game and ask who he thinks is the best full-back and also compare Martyn's overall record on Lockett, not one single game.

This season? Don't know.

Natural Talent? Ash McIntosh of course. He really is a superb athlete, but his knees will force him to retire early, just like his Dad.

I think SOS's past it. Martyn is good, but has to play to be worthwhile to his team. How about Dustin Fletcher? Graham had one good game (which I'd rather not talk about!), but I think that was greatly due to his opponant having a week off..... well sort of.

Dustin Fletcher hasn't put a foot wrong this year . Years past SOS, Martyn. As for Graham waht a kick!!!! but did he play on Everitt? if he did he was slaughtered.

First of all, I agree that Dustin Fletcher hasn't put a foot wring this year. He now is really a great player (alot better than he was). Anyway, the best player at kicking out is Tarkyn Lockyer (check the stats), I believe only TWO of his kickouts this year have gone to the opposition. But that wasn't the question. Really I can't tell who is the best full back at the moment, its a bit too early I think.

Dustin Fletcher ? I don't think so. Now listen, I've seen a few games of Bomber games on TV this year, and it's the hard work by the other bomber backmen, Wallis, Wellman and Hardwick which do all the hard work yet Fletcher keeps getting the credit. Now not to put Fletcher done, but do you seriously expect Fletcher to play against the quicker, more skilful irish at the end of the year. We would look like a laughing stock (in front of the irish too !), as I reckon Fletcher would drop the round ball heaps of times as lets face it, Dustin Fletcher isn't the most co-ordinated of players is he ? Certainly lacks the skills of a Ben Graham or the polish of a Silvangi, or the hardness of a Micky Martyn

I also have to agree that Martyn played an awesome game against Sav the other day. Archer was going well also, dropping in front of Sav every time it was kicked high into the 50 to take a mark. But again that isn't the question, sorry!

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 21 April 2000).]

Ok, once again…I know I’m biased…but I’m going to have to stick up for dustin fletcher here. He does not get ALL the credit for the results of the bomber defence…but he certainly does get credit where credit’s due.
The Essendon backline is built around fletcher, not any of the other players. Wellman has taken on more of w wingman/running back role this year. Wallis is not vital by any means, and hardwick, while being a tough nut…..doesn’t hold the backline together. It is fletcher who does.
As for his coordination…geelong4eva…have you even seen him play this year? He wasn’t the most coordinated player in years past but that’s b/c he was a teenager. He is incredibly coordinated now…any of the marks he has take this year would prove that beyond a doubt.
Admittedly.…I don’t think he would be suited to the round ball game either…but if you remember, neither was Graham, Richardson or Waterhouse…that doesn’t make them bad AFL players though.
Fletcher’s record this year speaks for itself…it is astounding. He is in the best five players at essendon, is their best backman and is the best full back in the comp. Without a doubt.

------------------
2000: year of the bomber

I note g4eva that you didn't reply to me , Everitt killed graham. As for Fletcher you can't have seen too many games , even the experts have given him points (what do I know) As for the other round ball games , pick anyone I for one don't give a s**t for the mickey mouse seies against the Irish!!!!

hmm interesting points made, but we mustn't forget the height difference between Everitt who really is more of a ruckman and Graham. You essendon supporters are lying to youselves if you think Fletcher is a better fullback than Graham. The fact of the matter is that Fletcher couldn't hold a candle next to Graham, no matter how well Essendon's going, I bet Fletcher couldn't hold Cummings to only one goal like Graham did a couple of weeks ago at Shell Stadium

Hard question to answer this one. Like some ppl have already said Everitt slaughtered Graham. I don't think all the credit should go to Graham however for stopping Cummings. The eagles midfield was shocking in that game, and did not deliver the football as they should have.
And as for having the biggest kick in the comp, i'd like to see him and MacIntosh really go at it. MacIntsh doesn't really get the chance to really roost it, though he did in Brisbane a year or two back and it went to the centre of the ground just about.

MacIntosh has the problem of his dodgy knees. One week he is brilliant, the next he looks like a cripple. At his best I think MacIntosh is right up there wit the best.

I havn't really seen enough of Leppitsch, Martyn or Fletcher to really comment on them. They are all good full backs though and do a good job for their respective teams.

Finally, I want to say that that SOS is the most overated player in football. I have seen so many players kick bags on him it is not funny. He scrags his players, grabs at jumpers and still gets his butt kicked often. How the hell was he voted full back of the century? There are so many full backs around today that murder SOS in their ability.

as a carlton fan i would say fletcher is one of the better full backs going around. sos is good but is getting on and is not as good as he was, i think southby should have made the team of the century ahead of him from a carlton view point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My choice would be Micky Martyn.

I read soemwhere at he's got and average of under 2 goals a game for the last 10 years.

He may not have the dash of Fletcher but if he's inthe goal square you ahve to run him around cos one-on-one he rarely getd beaten and will always give 100%

g4eva.....

i think you are forgetting the ansett cup gf, where fletcher held carey to no goals and a handful of possessions. I bet Graham couldn't do that, mate.

excuse me Staggy, but i saw that ansett cup grand final, and quite frankly Essendon used dirty tricks on Carey, almost to the point of cheating. No 1. Carey had three blokes tagging him at a time not just Fletcher, so it was no wonder Carey didn't get any of the ball. No 2. I noticed that Carey should have gotten at least 5 free kicks in that game but he didn't receive because obviously the Roos were playing the umpires pet team, the Bombers. So therefore I must conclude that Fletcher did next stop Carey in the Ansett Cup Grand Final, rather it was Essendon's unsportsmanlike tactics which curbed Carey's influence. Say all you want about Geelong and Graham but at least they don't resort to almost cheating like tactics of essendon

Graham gets to many big tallies kicked on him to consider him the best full back is a joke, regardless of how good a kick he is.

Goodwin and Dunkley are both good at stopping their full forwards,Hay is getting better but Fletcher,Mcintosh when fit and martyn are the top three.

Well geelong 4eva see Fletcher this week. Come on what the bag this week? Get your blinkers off mate and look! Why don't you talk your team up more instead of constant I hate Essendon forays. Boring

Just a quickie.

I know he wasn't playing on at FB on AC GF night but he did keep someone fairly "special" fairly quiet (ie: 3 kicks and no goals).

Given that, I'm not too worried about ol' Scotty.

Incidently, nice is it not, to see a guy like Scotty - after years of frustration - really kick on the past year or so.

Ben Graham has a superb, long kick-out but not much else
"Octopus" Silvagni is just a jumper-puller
Fletcher is playing very well at the moment
Dunkley is very tough, has a great pair of hands but can't kick
McIntosh is the one with the most natural athletic ability
but my vote for best full-back just has to go to Mick Martyn of the Roos
Hes not quick, or particulery sure-footed, or has a great mark or kick - but for sheer 'effectiveness' there is none better. Nobody can match his particular combination of toughness and sheer aggression.

Nice comment on Scotty there Ductchman - yes its great to see there is still a place in footy for a naturally gifted but un-athletic old style full forward.

I saw him interviewed recently on TV and he joked that the only competitions he ever wins with any regularity are biggest waistline and most skin-folds !

And I might mention the guy is a laugh and a joker and brings real colour and humour to a club that wasn't exactly known for its comedians !

One of my best mates - a guy I've known since 1987 - is a Geelong supporter - a true faith supporter in the face of A LOT of dissappointment and a basically a terrific guy.

I went with him to the PF in 94(?) when Ablett kicked the winner on the siren and poor ol' Mick was shell-shocked. I've been down to Kardinia Park plenty of times with him - and not just for Essendon games and had a great time watching a very entertaining and attacking footy team.

Also the cats have not been short of characters (with Blight, Billy, Couch, Hocking and previously Barnes) - and of course they had the Ablett show... Now they've got great young kids and Bomber Thompson and are playing awesome (almost undetected by the media) footy.

So after these positive Cat experiences I've got a long standing soft spot of sorts for them - except when playing us of course.

All in all this makes the "Essendon were cheating on Carey" crybaby, ill-informed, garden-variety Essendon-hater crappola from G4E even more stupifying. Particularly since the team the 1999/2000 bombers resemble the most - for goalpower and entertainment value is of course the late 80's- mid 90's Cats... (except we've got a backline).

Go figure folks
Dutch

Ps. Yep - BA - SC is "good for football". If WCE can unearth one or two other consistent goalkickers and say one new on-baller of quality they are just about there.

Dustin Fletcher is pretty good, but for his kicking, marking, ability to play up the ground and the fact he is the captain, Ben Graham wins. If only we had 2 of him.

Dutchman,

oh yes the 1994 PF where the best fullback of all time (in my opinion) kept THE GREAT MAN to three kicks and that last 10 seconds and afterwards still is my worst day in footy ever.

The footage of mick after ablett took the mark in the siren says it all

Paul

Yep, felt a bit sorry for Mick that day. I think a fair few of us know a bit about doing it hard on PF day.

But what comes around goes around - Mick's had his share of good fortune too - how he managed to squeak past the tribunal into a shoe-in GF medal slot after the Black incident last yr has still got me stumped...

Hopefully, Wally'll follow his lead this year.

Dutch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back