Analysis Who is the best tackler at the Bombers?

Remove this Banner Ad

jsher098

Debutant
Apr 17, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Guys, thought would share some interesting tackling stats.

For Essendon players that have attempted 50 or more tackles, here are the efficiency %s. Tackle efficiency is essentially the percentage of tackes attempted that result in effective tackles (i.e. when a player stops an opposition player with possession of the ball from getting his kick or handball away in a legal manner, or reduces the effectiveness of the opposition's disposal. The tackler's action must change the course of play.)

1. Dylan Shiel. 73 tackles attempted at an efficiency of 78%
2. Jake Stringer. 56 tackles @ 68%
3. A. McDonald-Tipungwuti. 91 tackles @ 67%
4. Zach Merrett. 113 tackles @ 66%
5. David Zaharakis. 59 tackles @ 64%
6. Adam Saad. 75 tackles @ 61%
7. Devon Smith. 66 tackles % 61%
8. Matt Guelfi. 60 tackles @ 59%
9. Andy McGrath. 59 tackles @ 59%
10. Darcy Parish. 68 tackles @ 57%
11. Dyson Heppell. 63 tackles @ 57%
12. Kyle Langford. 53 tackles @ 49%

Very concerning to see Kyle Langford down the bottom following the criticism he received against the Eagles. Shows the importance of the Shiel recruitment too. Fantastic player. As Captain, Heppell's tackling needs to get better.

Also, let me know if you guys have any cool stats I can dig up for you on the Bombers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Some other interesting tackle related stats.
Most broken tackles for the Bombers so far in 2019:
1. Dylan Shiel 10
2. Adam Saad 10
3. Jake Stringer 9
4. Mason Redman 8
5. Tippa/Heppell 6 each

Clumsiest tacklers (players that have given the most frees away from attempted tackles):
Zaharakis , Redman and Bellchambers with 4 each

1. Dylan Shiel 10
2. Adam Saad 10
3. Jake Stringer 9
4. Mason Redman 8
5. Tippa/Heppell 6 each

Clumsiest tacklers (players that have given the most frees away from attempted tackles):
Do we know what kind of frees they were? Not sure what Zaka's excuse is and Redman is young, but I'm guessing TBC is mostly giving away high contact frees?

Do we know what kind of frees they were? Not sure what Zaka's excuse is and Redman is young, but I'm guessing TBC is mostly giving away high contact frees?
Zaka's are all related to high tackles.

I like the effectiveness stat, goes towards technique. So Sheil has the best tackle.

Also not surprised to see that Stringer has a very impressive tackle.

and Tippa for a smaller guy, obviously does pretty satisfying things with his tackle as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the effectiveness stat, goes towards technique. So Sheil has the best tackle.

Also not surprised to see that Stringer has a very impressive tackle.

and Tippa for a smaller guy, obviously does pretty satisfying things with his tackle as well.
That's pretty bad, yet quite good.

I'm surprised by thise numbers. I would have thought Merrett and Smith at the top.

How does the stat deal with stacks on scenarios?

I always wonder about the tackling stats.

There is a lot of incidental wrapping up of players that is classified as a tackle but which is more akin to a 1% like a bump or a block.

There is a lot of incidental wrapping up of players that is classified as a tackle but which is more akin to a 1% like a bump or a block.
There is obviously an element of subjectivity involved. But it is generally the primary player who is involved in the tackle i.e. if player X tackles Y to the ground and 3-4 others jump on top, generally only a tackle will be awarded to X.

Wasn't really directed at me but someone was saying the other day that Heppell had 0 tackles, but in the highlights I watched he was part of a team tackle that obviously wasn't credited. Not sure if they're usually only credited to one player or if that was an error but yeah.

Would be interesting to know which players get caught holding the ball most often. I feel like Langford would be towards the top of the list.

1. Dylan Shiel 10
2. Adam Saad 10
3. Jake Stringer 9
4. Mason Redman 8
5. Tippa/Heppell 6 each

Interesting. I’d have thought Walla has given away the most frees from clumsy tackles. Feels like he gives 1 away each game.

Not surprised re Langford, his tackles are piss weak. His overall effort is piss weak. He’s got mates...

That's pretty bad, yet quite good.

I'm surprised by thise numbers. I would have thought Merrett and Smith at the top.
Merret, Smith, and Tippa would have been miles ahead in 2018 I'm guessing. I would say they are all down a bit in this area this year. Their body of work in this area over time is very good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back