Analysis Who is the best tackler at the Bombers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting. I’d have thought Walla has given away the most frees from clumsy tackles. Feels like he gives 1 away each game.

Not surprised re Langford, his tackles are piss weak. His overall effort is piss weak. He’s got mates...
Maybe we get a bit overwhelmed when Zaka lays a tackle, that we're so pleased he made an effort and then we don't notice how many of them are clumsy. Walla on the other hand makes these amazing chase down tackles, and they stay front of mind.

Bellchambers I'm not surprised about. Sometimes he looks like the drunken master out there when the lactic acid is taking effect.

As for league averages, the weighted average for tackle effectiveness is at 64%

Wasn't really directed at me but someone was saying the other day that Heppell had 0 tackles, but in the highlights I watched he was part of a team tackle that obviously wasn't credited. Not sure if they're usually only credited to one player or if that was an error but yeah.

I've noticed similar things. I take the stat with a grain of salt.

My suspicion is that there are "tackle players" and they are disproportionately credited with tackles that other players are not credited with.

Pressure acts are much the same story though because they're a subjective assessment of the act of the player attempting to apply pressure and say nothing about whether the act was effectice it is basically useless.

Without wanting to make every post about Baguley today, I believe the pressure acts stat a large part of the reason so many ineffectual small forwards play.

Get the ball give it to a team mate who then gives it to another team mate who then gives it to another nah, keep turn it over so we can find out who is the best tackler.

Fully fit Smith is the best tackler overall.
Then the order for me would be Tippa, Saad, Zac Merrett and then Shiel.

I really value run down tackles more than other tackles. Midfielders get tackle stats easily without doing a lot sometimes but the run down tackles can be true game changers. Zac Merrett's not the most consistent tackler but he has great anticipation and his run down tackles can really change games at times.

Stats reflect the one part of the game that Mckenna has failed to master is tackling - He makes me nervous when he attempts a tackle.
Yep, McKenna is the worst tackler at the Bombers. Only 39% of his tackles are effective. AFL average is 64%. Fantasia at 51% is also not ideal for a small forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder what constitutes a tackle attempt. Seems like a fairly hard line to draw.
Impeding the ability of the player being tackled to dispose of the ball effectively. Which means it’s tied to the effective disposals of your opponent- either get it to an opponent or get it down field far enough that it doesn’t matter.

Impeding the ability of the player being tackled to dispose of the ball effectively. Which means it’s tied to the effective disposals of your opponent- either get it to an opponent or get it down field far enough that it doesn’t matter.

I understand what constitutes a successful tackle. I’m just wondering where you draw the line between attempted tackle and pressure act.

How does the stat deal with stacks on scenarios?

I always wonder about the tackling stats.

There is a lot of incidental wrapping up of players that is classified as a tackle but which is more akin to a 1% like a bump or a block.

There is a surprising subjectivity to the tackle stat, ghostdog.

As is the case with contested possessions the impression which is created by reference to the stat is not the same as the reality.

The difference is that what is and isn't a contested possession seems to be more reliably objective.

Not every tackle awarded is pinning arms and dragging a player down, which is clearly the impression created. A lot of the credited tackles are selected out of a press of players falling on each other and once we're faced with that situation the tackle is essentially meaningless.

Last edited:
There is a surprising subjectivity to the tackle stat, ghostdog.

As is the case with contested possessions the impression which is created by reference to the stat is not the same as the reality.

The difference is that what is and isn't a contested possession seems to be more reliably objective.

Not every tackle awarded is pinning arms and dragging a player down like, which is clearly the impression created. A lot of the credited tackles are selected out of a press of players falling on each other and once we're faced with that situation the tackle is essentially meaningless.
I had a chuckle remembering stacks on!

I have wondered about what constitutes a tackle for the sake of stats before. It would be good if they actually refined the stat with effective tackles and ineffective tackles, but also defined what these are exactly. The same with contested possessions.

I'd have an ineffective tackle as one where the tackle has been made correctly but not prevented a countable disposal.

An effective tackle would be a correct tackle that results in an incorrect disposal, or has been awarded before the ball has been disposed of. It would lend the numbers more integrity.

As it is, it probably explains why I looked at Zaka's numbers with eye open.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back