Who is the best tackler in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember when McDonald-Tipungwuti tackled Dusty hard last year. I personally rate his tackling.

He's a very good tackler - similar to Cyril in the way he can hunt the player with the ball. Tippa uses the ball really well so he tends to do something useful with it once he gets it. Tippa's small height is actually an advantage for him in tackling because - he doesn't really have to watch out for tackling high and fend offs aren't too useful because of his closing speed and the risk of getting him high. I mean I'm sure Dusty could manage it but not many others can.

One thing I don't rate is the inside midfielders that get high tackle stats just by virtue of the position they play but never do anything meaningful with it. Priddis was a great example. I doubt he ran a single guy down from behind in his entire career but always had high tackle stats just by wrapping up the guy that was standing next to him. Not to hate on Priddis as he was an excellent player and super ball winner - I just don't think his tackling was a real feature of his game despite his stats.

The best tacklers for mine are the guys that can chase guys down offensively or defensively which lead or prevent scores - both are very valuable. Free kicks awarded from tackles is a good indicator of whether you're doing something significant with your tackles or not.

He's a very good tackler - similar to Cyril in the way he can hunt the player with the ball. Tippa uses the ball really well so he tends to do something useful with it once he gets it. Tippa's small height is actually an advantage for him in tackling because - he doesn't really have to watch out for tackling high and fend offs aren't too useful because of his closing speed and the risk of getting him high. I mean I'm sure Dusty could manage it but not many others can.

One thing I don't rate is the inside midfielders that get high tackle stats just by virtue of the position they play but never do anything meaningful with it. Priddis was a great example. I doubt he ran a single guy down from behind in his entire career but always had high tackle stats just by wrapping up the guy that was standing next to him. Not to hate on Priddis as he was an excellent player and super ball winner - I just don't think his tackling was a real feature of his game despite his stats.

The best tacklers for mine are the guys that can chase guys down offensively or defensively which lead or prevent scores - both are very valuable. Free kicks awarded from tackles is a good indicator of whether you're doing something significant with your tackles or not.
To counter this- it is much harder to tackle someone from front on than it is to run them down (provided you have the speed to do so). So while S.Selwood isn't going to be closing in on too many players and stripping them in a run-down, Tippa is equally as unlikely to be as good as Selwood at latching onto someone face-to-face in a split second play.

Like this guy

Clay Smith - Tackling beast when in form

Really cool clip of Clay Smith's tackle on Selwood. If you break it down and analyse it, he runs past the Geelong player who has the ball and takes on the player who is about to get the ball (Selwood). It just shows how quickly you need to think in the AFL, those split second decisions can change everything.

He probably got done for incorrect disposal by the looks of it. Also, he didn't land on the back of the player nor did he actually push him in the back. He just clenched onto him from the side and dragged him down.

I have seen Richmond's opposition being paid these kind of free kicks very often
In fact there was no free kick, but lets not quibble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back