Who is the better coach Northey or Dimma

Remove this Banner Ad

Nup, Len Smith. Only two years at the club but was ahead of his time, and was the catalyst for the 6 foot winger and kick it long, he was basically responsible for our move from Punt Rd to the G where "the finals are played" Tommy no doubt brilliant in his day and introduced fitness to the game benefited from the groundwork of Smith.
I can remember Tommy coaching, love the man and he did bring 4 flags so is my personal favourite, Len smith is a bit before my time but a legend as well.

I can remember Tommy coaching, love the man and he did bring 4 flags so is my personal favourite, Len smith is a bit before my time but a legend as well.
Len Smith was before my time, but reading Tiger history he was the man. Len's brother, who Dusty just won his medal, gets all the accolades, but Len was regarded as the better with tactics and innovation. Shame he passed away before our drought breaking '67 flag.

That in it's self is an interesting topic. If he didn't have his initial heart attack, Skinny Titus wouldn't have taken over for the rest of the season paving the way for a brand new young innovative coach to take over the following year, T Hafey. Makes you wonder

success is measured in premierships. the more of those you can win as coach before your inevitable sacking the higher the regard history will hold you in.

Northey was a good coach, he even convinced Plugger to join us out of St Kilda; though the AFL stepped in to stifle that one because they required him to go to Sydney.

There have been lots of good coaches but only 120 VFL/AFL premierships ... and Dimma has one of those.

success is measured in premierships. the more of those you can win as coach before your inevitable sacking the higher the regard history will hold you in.

Northey was a good coach, he even convinced Plugger to join us out of St Kilda; though the AFL stepped in to stifle that one because they required him to go to Sydney.

There have been lots of good coaches but only 120 VFL/AFL premierships ... and Dimma has one of those.
Well said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Northey use the list he had and pushed to them to be their best

Dimma built a Premiership team. He's improved and kept improving the list each year.

After Northye we slipped down because the team wasn't that good. After 2017 we have a list that should get better for the next 3-5 years. Then replacing Cotch and Jack is vital. But the way we are going Dimma has been instrumental in building a list to be competitive for years.

So ... Dimma.

If Northey had the same support that Dimma had from the club, we could well have had a flag in mid to late 90s, pre Essendon and Brisbane dominance

1993 - 4 W 16 L
1994 - 12 W 10 L
1995 - 15 W 1 D 6 L

Then through to a prelim in 1995

What could have been eh

Northey was good at pumping up sides emotionally with the whole "us against the world" bit, but he wasnt a great tactician .

Would never have won us a flag imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back