Analysis Derek Hine

Remove this Banner Ad

How did you feel when Dermie debuted for the Pies?
Wasn’t born then but he made a great forward partnership with Sav Rocca so I reckon I would have felt pretty good about it.

Wasn’t born then but he made a great forward partnership with Sav Rocca so I reckon I would have felt pretty good about it.
“Wasn’t born then”

That explains a lot...

That's easy, the one that's hated the most by all the others....game set match Collingwood.
I always thought that was Port... ?

Fremantle for me though as they're just s**t and... We'll words can't describe them!

My old man was at the 1958 premiership. He was 17.

He died a month or so after the 2018 loss.

60 years of pain, interspersed with two years of joy.

Despite that, he loved the Pies until his last breath.

We may not be the biggest, but we are the greatest. Our support never wavers despite the pain.

Good old Collingwood forever.

My old man was at the 1958 premiership. He was 17.

He died a month or so after the 2018 loss.

60 years of pain, interspersed with two years of joy.

Despite that, he loved the Pies until his last breath.

We may not be the biggest, but we are the greatest. Our support never wavers despite the pain.

Good old Collingwood forever.
I’d be checking your maths.

If 17 at 1958 that indicates being 12 in 1953.

Hence 4 flags in his lifespan, that’s pretty ok.

My perception is that Collingwood have consistently been the largest football club in Australia.

What I don't understand is why you see it as such a threat if we regularly wear our traditional jumper?
There is some deep seated insecurity there somewhere.

But whatever, I've always seen Collingwood and Port as two peas from the same pod, I quietly wish Collingwood success, as long as its not against us.
There were many years where I followed Port as my main club but kept an eye on Collingwood results from over the border.
It is however a shame that you don't see us as your greatest ally, you should.

Port Collingwood games should be the highlight of the sporting calendar, my dream is for a Port Collingwood grand final.

What I don't understand is why you see it as such a threat if we regularly wear our traditional jumper?
From what I have heard your club essentially disowned Port Adelaide so all this talk about history is a bit disingenuous and hypocritical IMO.
That said, I would be ok with a Teal top and prison bars bottom as it represents both clubs.
Lastly, not insecure; it's simply a matter of brand protection - we're the only ones in the AFL wearing them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After seeing the 1958 win, he saw just two wins (1990 & 2010) in the 60-year period between 1958-2018. Adds up to me!
I guess so.

But that’s kind of not the full picture.
Four flags in a life time is ok.

Just looking at the full picture.

Hopefully all of us will have one more to add to our own experiences this season :)

I guess so.

But that’s kind of not the full picture.
Four flags in a life time is ok.

Just looking at the full picture.

Hopefully all of us will have one more to add to our own experiences this season :)
There's been three flags in my lifetime, but I was just one in 1958, so I've only really "seen" two! I'm hoping to see a few more before my time runs out. A run of two or three wins within the space of just a handful of years would help make up for some of the "wasted" years!

The competition is in magnificent shape largely thanks to the draft and salary cap giving everyone a fair chance at being successful, but (especially with an 18-team competition) for most supporters it's likely to mean they'll see their team win the premiership about once every 15-20 years. You really don't get a lot of "reward" out of being a keen football fan these days, if you think that winning premierships is all that matters!

There's been three flags in my lifetime, but I was just one in 1958, so I've only really "seen" two! I'm hoping to see a few more before my time runs out. A run of two or three wins within the space of just a handful of years would help make up for some of the "wasted" years!

The competition is in magnificent shape largely thanks to the draft and salary cap giving everyone a fair chance at being successful, but (especially with an 18-team competition) for most supporters it's likely to mean they'll see their team win the premiership about once every 15-20 years. You really don't get a lot of "reward" out of being a keen football fan these days, if you think that winning premierships is all that matters!
Yes, I’m looking forward to seeing what I call an era team.

Win a few flags in a small period of time with one playing group so to speak.

Be very very nice.

My perception is that Collingwood have consistently been the largest football club in Australia.

But whatever, I've always seen Collingwood and Port as two peas from the same pod, I quietly wish Collingwood success, as long as its not against us.
There were many years where I followed Port as my main club but kept an eye on Collingwood results from over the border.
It is however a shame that you don't see us as your greatest ally, you should.

Port Collingwood games should be the highlight of the sporting calendar, my dream is for a Port Collingwood grand final.

Happy for you to wear you're traditional jumper.

PortMagenta.jpg

"Fanatical Port Adelaide fan William Whicker wearing a striped magenta and blue guernsey. Magenta was used from 1877 until 1901 when the dye became too difficult to obtain and maintain"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Adelaide_Football_Club

Trust everyone had an enjoyable festive season.

Clearly Collingwood is the biggest and as others have said, the highest profile club in the AFL. That's a no brainer.

As for being the most successful, well that depends on your definition of what constitutes success. If the criteria is premiership success then we are No 3 behind Carlton and Essendon. Naturally, many Pies supporters will argue to the contrary if only because they can't stand being rated behind these 2 other clubs. Understandable!

Personally, I think it's all academic and what really matters is what has happened during our life times. In that case, in the modern era, the low profile Hawthorn is clearly the most successful club, by the length of the Nile. We are a successful club but we are not in their league, along with many others.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back