Opinion Who is the greatest Richmond player of all time?

Who is the greatest Richmond player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty hard to separate Dusty, Royce Hart, KB and Francis Bourke imo.

Hart was the greatest CHF of all time (along with Carey), named at CHF in the team of the century.

Bourke was on the wing in the all time team of the century but could play anywhere. Hard as *.

KB was the biggest omission from that team, great small forward/rover but probably competed with Leigh Matthew for that spot.

I'll include Dyer as well in the five i'd name.
KB got done dirty on that one. Could have named both him and Matthews if they really wanted

Maurice Rioli was maybe the most talented player.

He burst on scene and was always a good player but maybe got weighed down by the decline of the club during his time there.

Ian Stewart would be in the conversation if he played more games at Richmond and not wasted his time at the Saints. Not old enough to see him play but his reputation is huge amongst those who did.
Bartlett and Martin are standouts. Anyone who voted Rance has no idea.

He burst on scene and was always a good player but maybe got weighed down by the decline of the club during his time there.

Ian Stewart would be in the conversation if he played more games at Richmond and not wasted his time at the Saints. Not old enough to see him play but his reputation is huge amongst those who did.
Agree that Ian Stewart would be right up there if he had just been a tiger. Living in Moorabbin saw a lot of his games with the saints, and for mine he is the toughest player I have seen. Not tough as in biffo tough, but mentally tough and being able to absorb the hard hits in the days when hits were part and parcel of the game. Just a brilliant player.
Saw a lot of Hart and Bartlett at their prime, and always had Hart as my best tiger's player, until around 2020 when I believe Dusty overtook him.

I’ve not long turned 64 so I’ve seen the great sides of the 60’s/70’s and for me whenever this question comes up, straight away I think of KB. Absolute champion, rarely beaten, never lost his pace.

Richo was great and you knew he just bled yellow and black and wore his heart on his sleeve.

Dusty is fabulous and in the 2017 QF it seemed he had the ball on a string.

Overall I think KB

P.S Honourable mention to Francis Bourke

Can't split Hart or Bartlett. Bartlett was a star week in week out for 18 odd seasons. In his first season as a half forward, previously a rover, he kicked 84 goals as a 33 year old! That is beyond ridiculous.
Hart was just so good and if not for a dodgy knee would be no.1
Next Dusty, like Hart just so good.
Next St. Francis
Of course Richo has to be mentioned.

Honorable mentions, Weightman, Maurice Rioli, Stewart, Knights, Rance, Raines ..... Thorpe must have been a player but don't know much about to be honest.

I’ve not long turned 64 so I’ve seen the great sides of the 60’s/70’s and for me whenever this question comes up, straight away I think of KB. Absolute champion, rarely beaten, never lost his pace.

Richo was great and you knew he just bled yellow and black and wore his heart on his sleeve.

Dusty is fabulous and in the 2017 QF it seemed he had the ball on a string.

Overall I think KB

P.S Honourable mention to Francis Bourke
KB I agree is the best. An absolute star. They changed the rules to try and stop him. Dusty 2nd. Not much in it. Then Hart.

Dusty is not finished yet. If he bounces back could set himself as number 1.

MJ senior is my fave. Maybe didn't play enough games to be "the greatest".

KB for me. 403 games. 5 premierships. 5 B&Fs. Played well in big games. Bloody amazing.

But Dusty is still going...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder what sort of player Richo would have been playing with our current team? He would literally hold up the team on the back of his shoulders and miraculously win the game for us or spectacularly fail wearing his heart on his sleeve the whole battle. We relied more on him than we ever have in Dusty, Hart, KB or Disco. It's such a crime we were such a sh.te team and club when he was at his peak.

1. Dusty

2. Richo
3. Riewoldt
4. Rance
5. Cotchin
6. KB

I love KB but these other guys played in the professional era. But in terms of legacy and what he’s done for Richmond he would be 2nd and Dyer 3rd. Dusty again 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I wonder what sort of player Richo would have been playing with our current team? He would literally hold up the team on the back of his shoulders and miraculously win the game for us or spectacularly fail wearing his heart on his sleeve the whole battle. We relied more on him than we ever have in Dusty, Hart, KB or Disco. It's such a crime we were such a sh.te team and club when he was at his peak.

There are a few in category, Matty Knights in today's side would be interesting too. Probably the two I would have liked to have seen their best with our best. Dale Weightman is another.

Hart had no peers for me. His role and Dusty's are entirely different, and yet, the coaches of each era would have said the same thing when the chips were down - just get the ball to Royce (Hafey) or Dusty (Dimma).

Can you compare them? A little, but the eras where just so different, the medical, the training, the footy style, ebb and flow. Ironically both were/are the same height, which underlines Hart's greatness in the role he played - predominately at CHF. Imagine if Dusty was to be permanent CHF? Again it's hard, the eras so different.

Hart had a stride you would kill for, whereas Dusty is compact, made for collisions and is a heart-breaking killer.

1670913678542.png

Last edited:
There are a few in category, Matty Knights in today's side would be interesting too. Probably the two I would have liked to have seen their best with our best. Dale Weightman is another.

Hart had no peers for me. His role and Dusty's are entirely different, and yet, the coaches of each era would have said the same thing when the chips were down - just get the ball to Royce (Hafey) or Dusty (Dimma). Can you compare? A little, but the eras where just so different, the medical, the training, the footy style, ebb and flow. Ironically both were/are the same height, which underlines Hart's greatness in the role he played - predominately at CHF. Hart had a stride you would kill for, whereas Dusty is compact, made for collisions and a heart-breaking killer.

View attachment 1572568
And Hart was never as good after he did his knee half 6 years into his career. Much greater legacy if he had played uninjured until he was in his early 30's like most other champions.

Stupid poll considering Dusty is the greatest of all time and he is a Richmond player . Hart ,KB,Rance next in line and I noticed some had Bourke lol he wouldnt. even make my top 10 .

No Richo?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bartlett for me for his longevity of playing 400 plus games in an era where the game was brutal on small men . Add his five premierships and match winning big games. I can't think of any player greater than him , let alone a Tiger. He has left too many great memories for me bc of his speed, evasiveness, skills, ability to get out of traffic and impeccable goal kicking skills whilst under pressure. Dusty comes second and that's no disrespect to him as he's a legend, but KB has left so many childhood memories for me which are embedded permanently inside my heart and soul.

Back