Who is the hardest player to tackle?

Remove this Banner Ad

In his prime I'd say GAJ. He was both evasive, had a low centre of gravity and could break multiple tackles in succession at times.

Right now Pendlebury is well up there because he has good size in addition to having amazing awareness so players rarely get to actually put much physical contact on him before he disposes of the ball.

Martin is another good choice, breaks tackles with pure strength and got to give some props to his fend off which is the best in the game.

Dangerfield as a combination of strength and pace means - he's really hard to tackle due to his strength and once he's running it will be bloody hard to catch him to even try. The other thing with him is he has elite acceleration and not just top end speed.

If I had to just nominate one - i'd give it to Dangerfield by a whisker.
Yep GAJ for me, Buckley told our players not to bother tackling the little campaigner during one game, just stop him from running forward.

2 from Collingwood in recent times were the big H and Wellingham.

During 2010 the big H would run str8 at the tackler and was rarely caught, extremely strong, he'd break the tackle then kick the ball a mile in the air and turn it over.

Wellingham although probably not being noted for it was an exceptional tackle breaker, not quite as good as Harry but still good, I haven't seen much of him at the Eagles, does he still have that trait?

In his prime I'd say GAJ. He was both evasive, had a low centre of gravity and could break multiple tackles in succession at times.

Right now Pendlebury is well up there because he has good size in addition to having amazing awareness so players rarely get to actually put much physical contact on him before he disposes of the ball.

Martin is another good choice, breaks tackles with pure strength and got to give some props to his fend off which is the best in the game.

Dangerfield as a combination of strength and pace means - he's really hard to tackle due to his strength and once he's running it will be bloody hard to catch him to even try. The other thing with him is he has elite acceleration and not just top end speed.

If I had to just nominate one - i'd give it to Dangerfield by a whisker.
Dangerfield is the most powerful in the comp but he was always prone to getting tackled hard when he was at the crows. This was due having some awareness issues as well as him sacrificing his own body in order to try and wait for the right option (or wrong option). Never really see him dodge and weave.

Ablett was the best I saw. Dusty refuses to get tackled when he sticks his arm out. Pendle just seems to have space and ridiculous awareness so you rarely even see anyone hit him hard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep GAJ for me, Buckley told our players not to bother tackling the little campaigner during one game, just stop him from running forward.
Can confirm it's not just Bucks, opposition players are often told to try and contain his space and get him to release but don;t tackle, he just breaks them and runs off.
Even the "secret" Essendon opposition dossier from a couple of years back said the same thing.

Stringer for me although Martin a close second. Stringer just has this explosiveness like very few have; when he is on song he seems practically untouchable.

James kelly was quite good at his peak as well; had a great fend off.

Matthew Knights was very good but Robert Harvey was in a class of his own. Neither with exceptional foot speed.

Martin's been brought down a few times going for the fend-off, but not many.

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back