Who is the most hardcore AFL player ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL holy s**t, he literally used to go around clotheslining people on the field. Did that sort of s**t even carry a suspension back in the day?
No! It was the Bruns incident in 85, and a huge punch up at Windy Hill in 86 between the Swans and Essendon that saw a change in attitude towards this sort of thing. Bot those examples saw "trial by video" come into play - technology and the numbers of cameras meant you couldn't get away with things anymore. Before then, even if the camera saw it, if the ump didn't report you you were clear.

My brother was at the game where Bruns went down, and he said he had it coming all day - snide antics in packs, squirrel gripping, gouging etc. - said he got what he deserved and Geelong were responsible for most of the aggro. No argument with Steven Hocking squaring up - to be expected - but Jacko and Bruns were a disgrace.

He went to tackle Brad Hill and hurt himself and had to leave the game.

Voss in recent times. Ayres in the 80s. Before that every team had a couple of enforcers.
Hawthorn in the 80s had Derm in attack, Dipper in the midfield and Ayres at the back. Fear across every part of the ground from an opposition point of view. And I loved it!

We had Dennis Banks and Darren Millain.
Don't hold a candle to those three - yep, tough, dangerous on and off the field, but Derm, Dipper and Ayres intimidated their direct opponents, their zone, and therefore the opposition. And played very hard off the field as well by all accounts.

My brother was at the game where Bruns went down, and he said he had it coming all day - snide antics in packs, squirrel gripping, gouging etc. - said he got what he deserved and Geelong were responsible for most of the aggro. No argument with Steven Hocking squaring up - to be expected - but Jacko and Bruns were a disgrace.
:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No! It was the Bruns incident in 85, and a huge punch up at Windy Hill in 86 between the Swans and Essendon that saw a change in attitude towards this sort of thing. Bot those examples saw "trial by video" come into play - technology and the numbers of cameras meant you couldn't get away with things anymore. Before then, even if the camera saw it, if the ump didn't report you you were clear.

Felt no pain for Brun's in fact I agree had it coming. Jacko was a joke that day however I think it was Gary Ayres that sniped him ( Belted him coming in from a less than courageous side angle) a couple of times and Jacko got sick of it and went bananas. Just had a look at the footage...funny to watch but Ayres belted Jacko and somehow it was Jacko's fault..hilarious. Matthews had a brain fart and did not even try and protect himself but just took the hit from Hocking. The umpires once again showed they could not control the game...who would have??? Dark day for AFL but hey it sure was entertaining. Mind you the my brother saw squirrel gripping...gouging etc is a bit hard to believe sounds like tall tales from the legendary..to me. Only squirrel grip I ever SAW was Stan Magro on I think it was John Cassin when he played at NM. I never understood why Matthews did not stand up to Hocking and have a crack and yet happy to snot a player who was not looking...part of his character I guess.

Hawthorn in the 80s had Derm in attack, Dipper in the midfield and Ayres at the back. Fear across every part of the ground from an opposition point of view. And I loved it!
There was a player that could take it as well as dish it out, just because he was big in some ways I think his toughness is actually underrated.

In the modern game it goes unnoticed but I'll say Dale Morris. Cops hits constantly, never reacts or hits back. Played a prelim in 09 with a broken leg, played the 2016 grand final with two broken vertebrae. Never seen anyone play through pain the way he does. Lappin's efforts in a granny with a jumper full of smashed ribs would be close.

Going back in time the great Captain Blood - Jack Dyer.

Played ruck when undersized and was just so hard that he was a great. plus fantastic skills and leadership.

Always hard to compare eras. Tough men back in the day would hit and get hit. Nowadays they wouldn't be bale to catch the players and wouldn't get a kick typically. Guys like Lethal or St Francis were hard and skilled.

Paul Kelly was as courageous a player as i have ever seen.
Gavin Brown and Mark Harvey also.
Those three were hardcore at the ball.
Agree when I think of players, not big blokes, who just always went with no regard for themselves, I think Paul Kelly, Gavin Brown, Ken Hunter. Mark Harvey is the same. Glen Archer was the same in attack on the ball but bigger and more likely to attack the man. Kelly, Brown and Hunter just always went the ball at 100% no matter the situation. They are the toughest bravest players I have seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back