Who is the most underrated player in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

JRyan23

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Mainly interstate players are seen as underrated, and right now, I'd have to say Dayne Zorko and Jarryd Lyons are the most underrated players in the game right now. Who sticks out as underrated to you?

Zorko, Sidebottom, Duncan, Tarrant, Hombsch, Grimes, Ross, Newnes, Roberton, Dahlhaus, Macrae are a few of note for me.

Zorko is now basically in everyone's AA team and people rating him top 10 mids in league. He's rated now.

The player that will play 300 games and will never get a mention anywhere is Kade Simpson.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was about to say Kade Simpson and this thread screams his name.

Another thread sparked by someone who doesn't watch a lot of footy but happened to see Zorko play well once and names him. Zorko has been playing well and been underrated for years. In fact, more than half of Brisbane's B22 right now are incredibly underrated and will all be top-end elite in the next couple of years when their inevitable flag runs begin.

Personally not sure of this one, think most have a handle on his strengths and weaknesses. Stylistically he's just the type of player whose own supporters would likely value him more than opposition supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniel McStay & Harris Andrews (all the focus is at the other end with Shakey and Rafa)
Conor McKenna (Essendon have a few slow guys whose stats don't mean much, this guy is the opposite)
Dylan Shiel (everyone rates him but still not high enough)
Christian Petracca (STFU about gingernuts Oliver, this guy is the man)

Another thread sparked by someone who doesn't watch a lot of footy but happened to see Zorko play well once and names him. Zorko has been playing well and been underrated for years. In fact, more than half of Brisbane's B22 right now are incredibly underrated and will all be top-end elite in the next couple of years when their inevitable flag runs begin.
To be fair It's hard to be otherwise. I dont have the enthusiasm to watch every AFL game every week. That's just the way it is. I watch our reserves when I can but no SANFl , WAFL or VFL these days. How can I be an expert on underrated players? I dont trhink I'm alone.

I think that's chiefly to do with age. Outside of Mayes, Bewick, Lester and a few others in 'prime years', there is a substantial age gap in their makeup. Most folk about don't know the young players of other sides- plenty don't know those in their own for a few weeks after they debut. Talent like Andrews, Gardiner, McStay, Berry aren't going to be renowned be most watchers just because they threaten to have great careers, it will take time and success to gather that appreciation. I think you're right that they deserve recognition and shouldn't come second to other young stars of the competition, but I think if that's the idea then this thread is destined to become something like the Rising Star one- everyone just rambling about their own young talent.

As for the Zorko side of things, are you going to argue against the submissions for Kade Simpson? Has been a mainstay in these exact threads for about five years- does that render it an invalid appraisal? I'm still waiting for the Ben Stratton one. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back