Opinion Who is the most versatile Geelong player you have seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just remembered another gun player that could and did play in a number of positions - Jezza. Seriously the guy was a freak footy player. In the air or on the ground he was sensational. Maybe like Ablett - that being such a valuable player you would never really play them back where their talent and creativity was diminished by the responsibility of minding a player.

As much as I admire Jimmy Bartel and Barry Stoneham, I still think Gary Ablett Senior was THE man. He excelled in a number of positions.

In his first game for Geelong he played on the wing, as I recall, and was BOG.

I recall him playing CHF in a state of origin match against WA in which he kicked 5 or 6 goals and if the football world did not know who he was before that game they did by the end of it.

I recall another game in the mid 80's, I think, when Ablett played in the centre against Richmond. I think Turner was captain and Geelong was getting toweled. Turner said something to Ablett along the lines "do your magic, Gary". Next thing Ablett grabbed the ball out of the middle, bounced the ball once or twice and drove home a long bomb goal.

Of course, Ablett's feats on the HFF and FF are legendary.

In the 89 GF he showed he could ruck too!! Remember he went up in the ruck in the forward pocket, grabbed the ball and dropped it onto his boot for a 6 pointer!!

The only thing Ablett could NOT do was play south of the centre. His defensive skills were non-existent.

Nope.

Gary Ablett was the best player who ever played the game. You could put him anywhere and he would have an impact. But not because he was versatile, because he was the best player who ever played the game.

I saw Ablett play back flank against Winmar one Saturday, and Winmar gave him a hiding. I saw Ablett play on lesser players in that position and he was dynamic then. Ablett on the half back line was just Ablett on the half forward line with a big run-up. lol. To turn Ablett in to a backman would have been a crime against nature anyway.

Ablett was more versatile than a lot of people give him credit. But Bartel for mine. Shut down player extraordinaire (2009 GF), ok in the backline (ok, not great) great small marking forward, great midfielder in his day.

Ablett could certainly thrive in a number of positions. And was probably more versatile than I gave him credit for.

The only thing Ablett could NOT do was play south of the centre. His defensive skills were non-existent.

Actually, he played the entire pre-season (and first 4 games) in 1989 off a half back flank and starred. He was best on ground in the 1989 night Grand Final versus Melbourne too. Like a lot of players from that era, I wouldn't say his defensive skills were non-existent; it's that he was a matchwinner. And the instructions were (mostly) to get the ball to your matchwinners and let them do the rest. When he had to, he was perfectly capable of doing defensive things (his deft smother in the 2nd quarter of the Prelim Final in 1989 an excellent example).[/QUOTE]
this. Ablett senior could literally play ANYWHERE. I saw him dominate off half back. Saw him go to fullback and play well. He kicked 14 against richmond and played on the wing all day. He ruck roved. He was 3rd man up in the ruck. It saddens me, genuinely, that this generation are so "now-centric" That they genuinely think that todays breed are in Ablett snr's (and Lockett for that matter) league. in todays game, with the umpiring interpretations, in the current Geelong side (from 2007 to today) he would have kicked 200 in a season.

Actually, he played the entire pre-season (and first 4 games) in 1989 off a half back flank and starred. He was best on ground in the 1989 night Grand Final versus Melbourne too. Like a lot of players from that era, I wouldn't say his defensive skills were non-existent; it's that he was a matchwinner. And the instructions were (mostly) to get the ball to your matchwinners and let them do the rest. When he had to, he was perfectly capable of doing defensive things (his deft smother in the 2nd quarter of the Prelim Final in 1989 an excellent example).
this. Ablett senior could literally play ANYWHERE. I saw him dominate off half back. Saw him go to fullback and play well. He kicked 14 against richmond and played on the wing all day. He ruck roved. He was 3rd man up in the ruck. It saddens me, genuinely, that this generation are so "now-centric" That they genuinely think that todays breed are in Ablett snr's (and Lockett for that matter) league. in todays game, with the umpiring interpretations, in the current Geelong side (from 2007 to today) he would have kicked 200 in a season.[/QUOTE]

Not sounding like a smart alec- but when did he play well at full back- or even play at full back

The only time i can remember him playing that position was fleetingly against Dunstall at KP - i was standing behind the city end goals - he was moved there in the 3rd qtr - the ball came out of the centre - Ablett slipped over - Dunstall marked and goaled - and he was immediately moved back to the forward line - he would have been at full back for 3 minutes - thats it

this. Ablett senior could literally play ANYWHERE. I saw him dominate off half back. Saw him go to fullback and play well. He kicked 14 against richmond and played on the wing all day. He ruck roved. He was 3rd man up in the ruck. It saddens me, genuinely, that this generation are so "now-centric" That they genuinely think that todays breed are in Ablett snr's (and Lockett for that matter) league. in todays game, with the umpiring interpretations, in the current Geelong side (from 2007 to today) he would have kicked 200 in a season.

Not sounding like a smart alec- but when did he play well at full back- or even play at full back

The only time i can remember him playing that position was fleetingly against Dunstall at KP - i was standing behind the city end goals - he was moved there in the 3rd qtr - the ball came out of the centre - Ablett slipped over - Dunstall marked and goaled - and he was immediately moved back to the forward line - he would have been at full back for 3 minutes - thats it[/QUOTE]
Watched his every game did you? Saw him play full back several times- in practice matches and at training often. Just because he didn't play 150 games at full back doesn't mean he couldn't do it. He could and on occasion did.

Your Parko avatar makes me feel we are talking to a much older poster.
You need to get Bobby's Ablett highlights out again if you have a spare day.
Ablett snr wins imho.
Brilliant on a wing, hbf, on ball, hff, ff, and was witnessed in a GF to go up for a ruck hit out, and goal from outside 40!
Moreover, the best mark, the longest kick, the best both-foot kick, the best bump, the most lethal, the most goals, the most/best everything!!

Brilliant summary Vdubs
The only bit you left out was he used to walk across Corio Bay on his way to training :p

Ablett Senior didn't train, did he?
You jest, but that is mythical. He did stuff at training that regularly left onlookers gob-smacked. He didn't do Robert Harvey (insane) training, but just enough to allow him to be the GOAT.

The only bit you left out was he used to walk across Corio Bay on his way to training :p

Terrific picture in the Herald Sun after the 1989 grand final which summarizes your post :D

100.jpg

I don't know who the artist was that drew it but quite catchy.

Terrific picture in the Herald Sun after the 1989 grand final which summarizes your post :D

100.jpg

I don't know who the artist was that drew it but quite catchy.

This may have been a reference to a brilliant photo in the Sun or the Geelong Addy the day after a night game when GAS demolished Carlton in one quarter of footy, and it showed him walking the streets of Geelong in rain with the caption,
"This man really does walk on water", OR words to that effect. Wish that could be retrieved.

You jest, but that is mythical. He did stuff at training that regularly left onlookers gob-smacked. He didn't do Robert Harvey (insane) training, but just enough to allow him to be the GOAT.

I managed to catch a mid week session once , rocked up with huge anticipation.
The main group had been at it for 45 minutes or so when out trotted the great man. He slowly jogged to the middle and turned toward the vacant goals , opposite end to the group.
He then proceeded , with an assistant to retrieve balls , to kick snaps from impossible angles off both left and right.
When he got bored he would hackey sack the footy for a while. He finished in a 1 on 1 with a huge guy ( assistant) wrestling before taking the mark - mostly one handed and once again off either side , left or right hand. Despite the assistant busting his guts Ablett held him off easily , pushing him off at will.
I never realised how big and powerful he was , especially the legs - absolute tree trunks. It was great to see him up close even though he was far from exerting himself.
To me he is certainly the GOAT and whilst statistics also support this view his charisma and aura on the field stands alone - I've never seen a player with such crowd drawing capacity and ability to be appreciated by opposition supporters. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back