Opinion Who is the most versatile Geelong player you have seen?

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
I never saw him play, waaaay before my time, but I always liked the stories around Les Hardiman.

A 2-time Premiership winner with the Cats, he also won a B&F and was selected to play for Victoria 5 times.

Hardiman could apparently play just about anywhere, had a run in all the key positions and had a special liking for the half forward flank - the greatest testimony to his versatility came from Reg Hickey, who credited Hardiman's efforts in moving from full-forward to centre half-back to quell a dominant Ron Todd as one of the main reasons the Cats were able to overcome a 3-goal quarter time deficit to win the 1937 GF ..

186409-a88d8e4e-2d98-11e4-9f4a-be5853a7239e.jpg

175875-9dd8b9ba-2d98-11e4-9f4a-be5853a7239e.jpg

Argus_8Jun1936p18_Les_Hardiman.jpg

Sep 28, 2014
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Cam mooney played kpd, loose man off half back and pinch hit in the ruck before he moved more permanently to chf or ff late in his career. Darren milburn also versatile, started his career as a midfielder before playing back on talls and smalls and ocassionally playing as a makeshift chf

From our recent era it's hard to go past Jimmy, probably cost him higher accolades by being a bit of a Mr Fix It at times

Ablett Snr of course but I'm a bit young and only really remember him out of the goal square
Your Parko avatar makes me feel we are talking to a much older poster.
You need to get Bobby's Ablett highlights out again if you have a spare day.
Ablett snr wins imho.
Brilliant on a wing, hbf, on ball, hff, ff, and was witnessed in a GF to go up for a ruck hit out, and goal from outside 40!
Moreover, the best mark, the longest kick, the best both-foot kick, the best bump, the most lethal, the most goals, the most/best everything!!

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
I dont know if Geelongs really had one

The 2 i can think of from other clubs

(1) Brent Crosswell - he could play FB CHB CHF FF - in the centre - in fact he could basically play every position bar the ruck.
(2) In the modern era - Brad Johnson - i will never forget in a game against Geelong - he was moved everywhere( it was brilliant coaching by Eade) full forward one minute - then he was on the backline - then he went in the centre - and he was playing superbly - that guy is seriously underated

I dont know if Geelongs really had one

The 2 i can think of from other clubs

(1) Brent Crosswell - he could play FB CHB CHF FF - in the centre - in fact he could basically play every position bar the ruck.
(2) In the modern era - Brad Johnson - i will never forget in a game against Geelong - he was moved everywhere( it was brilliant coaching by Eade) full forward one minute - then he was on the backline - then he went in the centre - and he was playing superbly - that guy is seriously underated
You don't rate Ablett's versatility?
How about Barry Stoneham? He played all those Crosswell spots, as well as ruck.
And as was mentioned, Milburn was pretty versatile.
Good to get other interpretations.

Other teams- Pavlich, Hird, really, we just have to think "who are the Mr Fixits in the comp?"
Bartel.
Hodge.
Goodes.
Goddard.
Goldsack.

GAS seemed to be able to do anything he wanted in the front half of the ground.

Could not defend to save his life really but you didn't want him to be doing that either really...

Stoneham would probably be most flexible all over the ground. Literally anywhere and before the injuries could do it well.

Go Catters

catters rule

Debutant
Jul 13, 2009
geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Max rooke. Great tagger in his early days remember a game against sydney where he destroyed adam goodes in one game. Max got 3 brownlow votes for it and yet somehow goodes managed to get 2. Goodes won his second brownlow that year I think. Could play off the half back line as well as a half forward.

Other then that jimmy bartel easily would have won another brownlow at least if he wasnt so versatile and had been left in the midfield.

Dasher milburn as well could play anywhere and do it well. Same with cam mooney in his early days.

(To young to have seen Stoneham but from what I have seen could play any position well.)

Motlop Magic

Senior List
Sep 20, 2014
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Geelong
Gary Ablett Snr? Could play wing, HFF, full forward.
Harry Taylor? Can play CHB, HB, and forward
Jimmy Bartel? Can play midfield, HBF, HFF, Can do anything IMO!!
Stevie Johnson? Can play midfield and forward
Brad Ottens? Supposedly recruited by Geelong ad KPF, but will go down as one of our best ruckmen
Mick Turner? Was one of Geelong's greatest wingmen, but finished his days a CHF / HFF

Over to you
Stoneham could play anywhere and what if he didn't break his leg....who knows?
Then Jimmy

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Clearly Ablett, who was a superstar wherever he played - HBF, Wing, HFF, FF. The 8 goals (and BOG) he got in his 1st State game were from the HFF, playing alongside (and outshining) Dunstall and Lockett.
Obviously also Stoneham and Bartel.
In the 60s:
- Denis Marshall starred for Geelong as HBF, Wing and Centre. He was a star CHB for Claremont and for WA. For Claremont he regularly swapped between CHB and CHF within a game, in order to keep him in the game depending upon which way the wind was blowing!
- Ken Newland was an outstanding traditional ruck-rover, as well as HFF, CHF and, occasionally, FF.
- John Sharrock was a unique combination of the VFL's best HFF, who then came 3rd in the Brownlow at Full Back.

I've only skimmed this thread.. but without a doubt in my eyes it has to be James Kelly.
The bloke would be an elite midfielder in 14 other AFL teams, but he has managed to craft himself into a top line small defender in recent years. Can go forward and snag a goal too.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Kenny Hinkley was brilliant, played back, wing or forward kind of like Paul Roos did throughout his career.
James Kelly is probably the best I've seen from the modern era. Utility by trade, stints across the back flank and midfield. A much more natural defender than what Bartel was when he played there and just as brilliant in the midfield. Very good near the goals as well, rarely loses his feet and super strong through the core.

Particularly his 2009 season. To play the entire season as a small defender once Josh Hunt injured his knee, and do it so well, was a remarkable effort.

johnnyscarecrow

Senior List
Dec 4, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox
As much as I admire Jimmy Bartel and Barry Stoneham, I still think Gary Ablett Senior was THE man. He excelled in a number of positions.

In his first game for Geelong he played on the wing, as I recall, and was BOG.

I recall him playing CHF in a state of origin match against WA in which he kicked 5 or 6 goals and if the football world did not know who he was before that game they did by the end of it.

I recall another game in the mid 80's, I think, when Ablett played in the centre against Richmond. I think Turner was captain and Geelong was getting toweled. Turner said something to Ablett along the lines "do your magic, Gary". Next thing Ablett grabbed the ball out of the middle, bounced the ball once or twice and drove home a long bomb goal.

Of course, Ablett's feats on the HFF and FF are legendary.

In the 89 GF he showed he could ruck too!! Remember he went up in the ruck in the forward pocket, grabbed the ball and dropped it onto his boot for a 6 pointer!!

The only thing Ablett could NOT do was play south of the centre. His defensive skills were non-existent.

I agree about Ablett, and I think I was at the same game against Richmond at the MCG. I distinctly remember him twice doing as you said, and at least one of the goals he kicked was from the centre square - made me spill my beer. He was phenomenal!

Max rooke. Great tagger in his early days remember a game against sydney where he destroyed adam goodes in one game. Max got 3 brownlow votes for it and yet somehow goodes managed to get 2. Goodes won his second brownlow that year I think. Could play off the half back line as well as a half forward.

Other then that jimmy bartel easily would have won another brownlow at least if he wasnt so versatile and had been left in the midfield.

Dasher milburn as well could play anywhere and do it well. Same with cam mooney in his early days.

(To young to have seen Stoneham but from what I have seen could play any position well.)
Goodes getting 28 touches isn't destroyed I don't think. Max did get 3 votes. Goodes only got 1 vote...

Scarlo got the 2.

'Versatility' has been used to describe the ideal modern player, but it is clear Geelong has had its share of versatile players over the years!

As Dazbroncos says, Go Catters!!

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Colbert - tagger (tagged Buckley out of a game early in his career), played well as a centre half back including on the likes of Carey, also played as a small defender (basically stopped the Adrian McAdam steamtrain dead in its tracks in 1993), played as a centre half forward, was capable of racking up 30 possession games in the midfield and even relief rucked. he certainly wasnt the best of our versatile players but I dont think any other Cats player could play well in as many positions as Colbert.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
did you ever see Denis Marshall play?

I saw a little bit of him - but i was very young at the time - i can remember a game at KP against Sth Melb - and he had a shot for goal on the run at the City end and hit the post - its funny how some images stick in your head forever no matter how long ago it occurred

I thought one interesting point about Marshall - is when Allan Stoneham the ex Footscray player was on Mike Sheahans show- he said when he was a teenager Billy Goggin was his coach at Footscray - and the 1st thing Goggin said to him was- - your not quick - however Stoneham said Goggin also said - look Denis Marshall wasnt quick - but he never fumbled- he was a one touch player - and that Stoneham given he wasnt quick - should aim to be the same.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Versatile ... as in multple postions? Versatile as capable of bring more to the club than just what he does on the field. GA Snr was as talented a player on ball and forward of centre that Ive seen , JB also had teh ability to do a role , shut down a player as in 09.

Hard going back in time the sizes , styles have changed. If Farmer had played now he would not have been a Ruck thats for sure.

One of the most versatile would have to be Blitz. They have played him forward, back , in the ruck on the wing

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
Thanks for reminding me about Ablett's abilities as a defender. I had'nt remembered that. He was just a freak!!
One of those 'once in a generation' natural talents. Best player I've ever seen, let alone most versatile.

I never saw him play, waaaay before my time, but I always liked the stories around Les Hardiman.
A 2-time Premiership winner with the Cats, he also won a B&F and was selected to play for Victoria 5 times.

Hardiman could apparently play just about anywhere, had a run in all the key positions and had a special liking for the half forward flank - the greatest testimony to his versatility came from Reg Hickey, who credited Hardiman's efforts in moving from full-forward to centre half-back to quell a dominant Ron Todd as one of the main reasons the Cats were able to overcome a 3-goal quarter time deficit to win the 1937 GF ..
Brilliant aerial shots CC and interesting historical facts, thanks.

Jacko was pretty versatile... footballer, singer, actor, boxer, writer...
Think you missed a couple of talents there, gymnast and clown.

Most versatile here and now, Jimmy.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Remember he played the last quarter and a half on Lockett in 91 after he'd kicked 8 on Rogers and Spencer in the 91 EF.
I was at that game it was fantastic, Locket finished with 9 and Billy got 8, fantastic game, the best final I have ever been to and one of the best I have seen (meaning includes TV). Barry was fantastic, he was the Saints nemesis as he would often be switched to CHB on Loewe and that would put Stewie out of the game.

Back