Prediction Who is the next Bloods enforcer?

Remove this Banner Ad

In this strange epoch of human history, I think there is a real need for the forces of good (ie the Bloods) to have a fair play enforcer.

I am not talking about a dill like Hall became or a faux tough bloke as Jonesy tried on for a couple of years.

What I think we need is a couple of players who will not accept nonsense from filthy opposition players.

For me the twin low points of the last decade were encapsulated in Round 6 2017 with the loss to Carlolton. The loss was bad enough; the failure to respond to the bullying of Mills was intolerable.

The Bloods history is filled with blokes who would not accept crap from the Oppo. In my time otherwise ball players like Kenny Boyd, Stewie Gull, Paul Harrison, the SA John Murphy, Peter Morrison, Denis Carroll, Eric Sarich, Kirky, ROK, Dunks, Jude would square up and protect their mates. Mostly they would just run though Oppo filth who had made the error of getting between them and the ball. That is what we need IMO among all the other things on our short list.

Looking at our current list I am wondering where our next take no prisoners, deliver some fair albeit rough justice players will come from.

At the moment I cannot see any of our defenders doing this. No reflection on their courage at all. Blokes like Ramps, COR and Allir are too much the nice boy next door. Our forwards are pretty much the same.

Of the established players, only Parker and Papley strike me as having that bit of mongrel in them.

Of the emerging players, I reckon McLean strikes me as an enforcer in the Denis Carroll see ball get ball and if there is a dog Oppo player in the way, so much to the good. In his first ruck contest he copped the biggest knee in AFL history in the chest. He did not flinch, ran through other Oppo in chasing the ball. He is the perfect size to develop into a feared KPD (feared equally for his skill as for his ability to run through Oppo dogs).

I think Rowbottom is an absolute toughie. He has not taken a backward step and already can be seen as being prepared to fly the flag. Blakey too strikes me as tough as nails. He has already copped plenty of attention and seems to relish it. With a few more kegs (well a lot really) I can see Nick fairly running through and squaring up.

I am not suggesting we should play thugs. I am suggesting we need at least a few players who will put fear into the eyes of Oppo thugs.

I think Heeney definitely gives as good as he gets.

But I think it’s probably a mixture of two things: Horse being a no-nonsense kinda guy probably just wants his players to put their heads down and focus on the footy than get involved in any ego games. And this team being so young, they seem to be focused on their individual games a lot. That’s not to say they’re not team players, but rather they’re just under so much pressure to deliver, even when they may not be ready to, that aspects of footy like flying the flag for our great club just isn’t a priority for many of them yet.

In fact that could almost be proven as the three young Swans who seem to have the most spunk about them are Heeney, Mills and Blakey - not coincidentally the three Academy boys who have grown up with this club and already have a huge love and investment in it. That can’t be manufactured, it just forms over time.

Maybe it is my red and white eyes but the Mumford I remember playing for us was hard and tough but not a cheap shot merchant.

As I noted above McLean has the potential to be a very hard nosed player, using his body (fairly) to run amok among the Oppo and make them think twice. Agree with Caesar about Heeney and the comments about the Academy lads. Even the young Toppies in the 2s show a similar amount of mongrel and refuse to be cowed by bigger and stronger opponents.

I do not think Horse thinks in terms of hardness at the Oppo. Rightly he focusses on hardness at the ball. I can however remember him being unhappy at the lack of support given Mills when Carlton targeted him in Rd 6 2017. Thereafter Mills received plenty of support that year and Oppo dropped off targeting him within a couple of weeks.

Maybe it is my red and white eyes but the Mumford I remember playing for us was hard and tough but not a cheap shot merchant.

As I noted above McLean has the potential to be a very hard nosed player, using his body (fairly) to run amok among the Oppo and make them think twice. Agree with Caesar about Heeney and the comments about the Academy lads. Even the young Toppies in the 2s show a similar amount of mongrel and refuse to be cowed by bigger and stronger opponents.

I do not think Horse thinks in terms of hardness at the Oppo. Rightly he focusses on hardness at the ball. I can however remember him being unhappy at the lack of support given Mills when Carlton targeted him in Rd 6 2017. Thereafter Mills received plenty of support that year and Oppo dropped off targeting him within a couple of weeks.

Yeah but then we took that too far and were just being stupid, starting fights before the siren had even blown. Think it let the opposition know they were finally having an effect on us and then we ended up with a very shaky season, despite making the finals miraculously.

Agree.. McLean is tough as nails and has the size to back it up
Paps.. will never take any s**t from no-one
Give Melican some confidence and he'll be hurting the oppo in no time..
but my big hope is for McCartin.. In the pre season, no-one wanted to wrestle him! 3 or 4 years from now he'll be one of the strongest blokes in the afl and have the talent to really damage the oppo!!

Agree.. McLean is tough as nails and has the size to back it up
Paps.. will never take any s**t from no-one
Give Melican some confidence and he'll be hurting the oppo in no time..
but my big hope is for McCartin.. In the pre season, no-one wanted to wrestle him! 3 or 4 years from now he'll be one of the strongest blokes in the afl and have the talent to really damage the oppo!!

Yep. That's a good point about McCartin. It is easy to forget he is only 19.

In this strange epoch of human history, I think there is a real need for the forces of good (ie the Bloods) to have a fair play enforcer.

I am not talking about a dill like Hall became or a faux tough bloke as Jonesy tried on for a couple of years.

What I think we need is a couple of players who will not accept nonsense from filthy opposition players.

For me the twin low points of the last decade were encapsulated in Round 6 2017 with the loss to Carlolton. The loss was bad enough; the failure to respond to the bullying of Mills was intolerable.

The Bloods history is filled with blokes who would not accept crap from the Oppo. In my time otherwise ball players like Kenny Boyd, Stewie Gull, Paul Harrison, the SA John Murphy, Peter Morrison, Denis Carroll, Eric Sarich, Kirky, ROK, Dunks, Jude would square up and protect their mates. Mostly they would just run though Oppo filth who had made the error of getting between them and the ball. That is what we need IMO among all the other things on our short list.

Looking at our current list I am wondering where our next take no prisoners, deliver some fair albeit rough justice players will come from.

At the moment I cannot see any of our defenders doing this. No reflection on their courage at all. Blokes like Ramps, COR and Allir are too much the nice boy next door. Our forwards are pretty much the same.

Of the established players, only Parker and Papley strike me as having that bit of mongrel in them.

Of the emerging players, I reckon McLean strikes me as an enforcer in the Denis Carroll see ball get ball and if there is a dog Oppo player in the way, so much to the good. In his first ruck contest he copped the biggest knee in AFL history in the chest. He did not flinch, ran through other Oppo in chasing the ball. He is the perfect size to develop into a feared KPD (feared equally for his skill as for his ability to run through Oppo dogs).

I think Rowbottom is an absolute toughie. He has not taken a backward step and already can be seen as being prepared to fly the flag. Blakey too strikes me as tough as nails. He has already copped plenty of attention and seems to relish it. With a few more kegs (well a lot really) I can see Nick fairly running through and squaring up.

I am not suggesting we should play thugs. I am suggesting we need at least a few players who will put fear into the eyes of Oppo thugs.

Knoll.

Interesting suggestion, though not my first thought

He certainly does not lack for size and can burst* through a tackle.

*Burst should not be taken here as implying any kind of speed.

The cupboard is totally bare. I remember 10 years ago players spoke about swans footy being clean and fair. I think at the time it was a reflection of the sydney fanbase and market to contrast the thuggery on and off field in league. That has probably now ingrained a soft at it approach our team now has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My memory of Mumford for us is a completely differently player to the one at GWS. He was more of a traditional ruckman, take the odd grab around the ground and forward - but he wasn't smashing blokes around the contest like he did as soon as he went to GWS.

As for your question, I really like the 'FU' part of Blakey's game. He reminds me of those skinny kids at school that were surprisingly strong and had 'sharp' elbows. He never takes a backward step.

I feel like our best sides have had a tough presence/leader in each area back middle fed

Eg barry , Kirk, hall

Richards, Okeefe, Goodes

Perhaps you could say sometimes there was a combo maybe okeefe/Bolton or Richards grundy

Now at full strength it’s probably

Rampe Parker Franklin

I left Kennedy out as he strikes me more as a do the dirty work lead by example guy

I feel like the three I mentioned are close to modern day enforcers in terms of guidance to youngsters, sticking up for them in a bit of push and shove and throwing a bump or two into guys at a stoppage etc

Not like you can have someone line dermie up at the bounce anymore and take them out

But you need someone to handle the macho bullshit

Skinny, but Blakey certainly doesn't take a backward step in the game of shove. Good early signs.
Sinkers is it atm. He is big and strong enough to hurt people legally, and tough enough to throw his body into the task too. I think it was last year where Daniel Rich got pilloried for deciding the better of running into him during a game.

Sinkers for mine. When he's got the blood up he's unstoppable. Paps and Blakey give a fair bit of stick too. Maybe Dawson has an dark side that we just haven't seen. Fox can be a bit uppity sometimes.

Yes. Already he shows he will not take a backward step. In his first game his first contest at the centre bounce was against Sandilands who put a knee into his chest. He barely blinked and played very well until running out of gas after half time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back