imadodgyumpire

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Car racing is not a sport.
Correct. Car racing is a "motor sport".

Otherwise I exercise 2 hours a day driving.
How many races have you won?

Wawrinka only won 3.

I think F1 is different to tennis in the fact that the cars are all different. Senna, in terms of stats, is nowhere near as good as Lewis Hamilton or Schumacher, but Senna is still widely acknowledged as better or at least equal

I am not old enough to remember but former players say Slams totals is a relatively new thing. The players in the 70's, 80's never came to Aus. for example. I can't recall Sampras ever getting a GOAT tag just because he won the most slams, but, then again, he always failed at the French due to his game style. Previously, your F1 analogy might be correct but now, fans take slams totals and all the other stats as definite and hence the race started and social media haven't been quiet since.

But only in the men's. In the Womens, Court has won the most slams but most pundits won't rate her as the best. There are tennis reasons for that, not just because no one likes her.
I'm saying there's a point with accumulated stats where once you reach it, it doesn't really matter how much more you accomplish.

Let's pick around 6-8 slams. For those of you more knowledgable than me, would' your opinions of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have changed much since they reached that milestone?

Are they really that much better than the guys who've won at least 6 slams of earlier generations who did not benefit from the accumulated knowledge that the records Federer. Nadal and Djokovic benefit from?

In the case of me with F1, it's around 2-30 wins and/or 2-3 championships for the drivers of recent decades, and my opinion doesn't change for anyone except one.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man Utd, Atlanta Hawks

I'm saying there's a point with accumulated stats where once you reach it, it doesn't really matter how much more you accomplish.

Let's pick around 6-8 slams. For those of you more knowledgable than me, would' your opinions of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have changed much since they reached that milestone?

Are they really that much better than the guys who've won at least 6 slams of earlier generations who did not benefit from the accumulated knowledge that the records Federer. Nadal and Djokovic benefit from?

In the case of me with F1, it's around 2-30 wins and/or 2-3 championships for the drivers of recent decades, and my opinion doesn't change for anyone except one.
You can win 6 slams in 18 months. Should not put you in a greatest debate in men's tennis with anything less than 10. Lots of consideration of different stats can go into it, but slams are the biggest indicator of success in the sport. You'd need to have won all slams to be in the greatest debate also.

RoweyThePainter

Club Legend
May 17, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide

So u are saying anyone who goes to the gym isn't exercising because they haven't won some kind of championship?

I can only assume that from your driving analogy.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man Utd, Atlanta Hawks
Ok, pepsi had laid down the marker with 10 slams. Does anyone's opinions of the current big 3 change since winning their 10th?
Tennis is interesting as you can improve technique, strategy and physicality as you go through your career. As an example, Djokovic serve is now much better, more effective and wins him more points than 10 years ago.

imadodgyumpire

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Tennis is interesting as you can improve technique, strategy and physicality as you go through your career. As an example, Djokovic serve is now much better, more effective and wins him more points than 10 years ago.
Would that mean Djokovic have benefitted from having a long career and being the latest of the greats to come to the fore?

Remove this Banner Ad