Who is the true goat in Tennis ?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Didn't you say you admit Federer is running out of gas? Help me follow you here.
He's 38. There's no mystery.

Do you believe Federer in present state current state would've knocked Nadal out of the Australian Open?
Stop trying to open a new argument.

If Federer has any chance to win another major, it's Wimbledon and the US. At those tournaments, Djokovic will be the major obstacle, to the point that Federer probably can't beat him. That is not the case with Nadal.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Medvedev won the Cincinnati and Shanghai Masters last year and reached the final of the Canadian Open.
You said "at the US Open".

But yes, Medvedev had a great run in 2019. I don't infer from that there's no chance of him losing to Federer should they meet in 2020.

The window is closing though. Of course it is. It might already be closed.

You said "at the US Open".
I also said Grand Slam and you decided to change that to "all grand slams but one" to suit your narrative.

So maybe give him the same leeway you took.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I also said Grand Slam and you decided to change that to "all grand slams but one" to suit your narrative.

So maybe give him the same leeway you took.
What is "my narrative"?

I'm making a relatively straightforward point: if Federer is to win another major, it'll be in London or NY. And Djokovic looms as the spoiler far more than Nadal.

Which part of that do you disagree with?

What is "my narrative"?

I'm making a relatively straightforward point: if Federer is to win another major, it'll be in London or NY. And Djokovic looms as the spoiler far more than Nadal.

Which part of that do you disagree with?

I'm not the one going to great lengths to disagree with someone.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I don't think anyone is going to miss the last 8 posts or so.

Back on topic. I think it would be wrong to ignore Thiem here. the guy has been getting closer and closer to the French. I think beating Nadal here will give him huge confidence at Roland Garros. If he has a little bit of luck(no Novak on his side of a draw for example) and play another game of his life, he can stop Nadal.

Tig017

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
If Federer has any chance to win another major, it's Wimbledon and the US. At those tournaments, Djokovic will be the major obstacle, to the point that Federer probably can't beat him. That is not the case with Nadal.
Haha what?
Federer hasn't even won a US Open since 2008, and has made one measly final in the last 10 years. Meanwhile Nadal has won 4 US Opens and is the current reigning champion. You're delusional.

dustysnecktattoo

Club Legend
May 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Haha what?
Federer hasn't even won a US Open since 2008, and has made one measly final in the last 10 years. Meanwhile Nadal has won 4 US Opens and is the current reigning champion. You're delusional.

Wimbledon this year is probably feds last slam chance

Tig017

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't think anyone is going to miss the last 8 posts or so.

Back on topic. I think it would be wrong to ignore Thiem here. the guy has been getting closer and closer to the French. I think beating Nadal here will give him huge confidence at Roland Garros. If he has a little bit of luck(no Novak on his side of a draw for example) and play another game of his life, he can stop Nadal.
What are you on about? Thiem beats Djokovic on clay.

Everything was looking great for him last French Open before Nadal dismissed him in straight sets. Nadal's playstyle just works too well on clay.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Haha what?
Look at the recent H2H records. Clearly Djokovic poses the bigger obstacle for Federer on grass and hardcourt.

I'm not saying Federer would definitely beat Nadal in NY. But it's pretty clear he can't beat Djokovic and at least has a fighting chance against Nadal.

A lot would depend on who turns up with less wear and tear.

Last edited:

Westerberg

Team Captain
Jun 17, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fed, and its not even close. Playing in the honorable gentlemanly one handed backhand fashion, as intended by the by the sport's founders.

Djoker and Nadal and their cowardly double handed backhands, the tennis equivalent of playing off the women's tee.

SA HAWK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Grand slam titles are the defining metric. It's not going to be subjective in the end.

Djokovic should be aiming to win 25 majors, well clear of the other 2 and a record that may never be broken.
Imo Fed won a bunch of his titles against far lesser opponents at the start of his career.

Djokovic has always had to content against Fed & Nadal & even other high calibre players like Murray for all of his.

Back