HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
lol Fox Sports and Sportsbet social media wankmins with no reference to 311 today.

They must be just bawling their little eyes out into their KFC bucket hats. :tearsofjoy:

The only sport a woman could be a GOAT is netball. A top woman in the WTA would struggle to defeat any of the top 100 men on the ATP tour. This isn't misogynistic. It's biological fact.

I'd like to see a match up though. I'm not talking about a Bobby Riggs hit n giggle either. A bloke plying their trade right now on the ATP tour. At least the women wouldn't be forced to play more than 3 sets, because it would still be 3-0 in favour of the bloke in a best of five.
That bloke who played golf then strolled out to beat both Williams sisters ended any doubts.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Two guys at different stages of their career so I don't want to focus too much on last night but if Novak can win the French again and go on to pass Rafa and Federer in titles then I think there is no longer a discussion.

Huge match Sunday, if he gets the French the Grand Slam starts to be a possibility.

Two guys at different stages of their career so I don't want to focus too much on last night but if Novak can win the French again and go on to pass Rafa and Federer in titles then I think there is no longer a discussion.

Huge match Sunday, if he gets the French the Grand Slam starts to be a possibility.
He's already held all 4 titles at once. Be nice to see him do it in a calendar year.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Still Federer for mine, but could be Novak by the time they're both retired.

I tend to agree but I think there can be two different discussions around who someone considers to be the best player and who has the best record and therefore the greatest of all time.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Imagine having Federer spooked and having a dominance Grand Slam record against him, only for Novak to come in and annihilate you instead.. Nadal has nightmares that’s for sure.

Without a doubt, Novak is the GOAT. Wins French and it’s number 18. His pet event US Open to come, hell even Wimbledon.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Won both at least twice. Federer only has one French and Nadal one Aus.
He has another match still.

Novak lost to Stan Wawrinka in a French Final once before if you remember.

Now, If both players play to their average level on Sunday, then it will be a close run thing between Novak and Stefo. Previous 2 meetings between them, 3 sets in Rome this year, 5 at the French Semi, both won by Novak. But Novak had to play at his best to beat Stefo in Rome.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood

They are one year apart in age.
I think still Rafa but if he wins Sunday things change.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
They are one year apart in age.
I think still Rafa but if he wins Sunday things change.

Sorry I didn't mean age, what I was trying to say was one particular match is not the be all and end all. Novak to me is still at his best but I feel Nadal is on the slide.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Sorry I didn't mean age, what I was trying to say was one particular match is not the be all and end all. Novak to me is still at his best but I feel Nadal is on the slide.
One match is certainly not the be all and end all. Getting a 2nd win over Rafa at RG is a big moment in the Nadal and Djokovic rivalry overall though.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
He has another match still.

Novak lost to Stan Wawrinka in a French Final once before if you remember.

Now, If both players play to their average level on Sunday, then it will be a close run thing between Novak and Stefo. Previous 2 meetings between them, 3 sets in Rome this year, 5 at the French Semi, both won by Novak. But Novak had to play at his best to beat Stefo in Rome.
The French open is a Grand Slam, entirely different context pressure and tennis. You have to be able to play 5 sets to beat Novak. Stefanos can’t do that.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I think a double career grand slam is one of those essential criteria you need for a seat at the table. Fed & Nadal haven’t quite got there. Laver, Emerson, Navrat and Evert have the double. Serena & Court the triple. Graf has the quadruple (an awesome slam-spread stat to have by the way). Maybe some of the pre-90s perennial absentees like a Borg/McEnroe could be excused. But it just has a very sturdy look on your resume.

Last edited:

Flameboy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
I think a double career grand slam is one of those essential criteria you need for a seat at the table. Fed & Nadal haven’t quite got there. Laver, Emerson, Navrat and Evert have the double. Serena & Court the triple. Graf has the quadruple (an awesome slam-spread stat to have by the way). Maybe some of the pre-90s perennial absentees like a Borg/McEnroe could be excused. But it just has a very sturdy look on your resume.

It’s impressive, but to say it’s essential and that Fed and Nadal haven’t got a seat at the GOAT table is absolutely laughable.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
That’s what I’m asking, how is Federer ahead of Nadal. They are equal in slams but Nadal has him covered in the head to head race? How can you be better than somebody that beats you more often than not.
Nadal is the better player on Clay surface. Outside of that its Federer. Most of the H2H wins have been on Clay where I'd assume Nadal owns most players.

Back