Who is the true goat in Tennis ?

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Hard to go past Novak as it is likely he will hold all records once done. I think all 3 are superstars.

Very important thing happened in Tennis in 2010 onwards where all the courts worldwide were slowed down as Tennis was scared of big serving players dominating the sport. This happened everywhere including the Grass at Wimbledon and this effectively made Tennis a baseline sport.
This also probably cost some great serve volley players some slams.

Places like Wimbledon and the US Open were once extremely quick courts, if you could not serve and Volley then your chances were slim. This has all changed now and it's very important to note. If these courts had not of been changed would the tally's be any different? We will never know.

As a spectacle I think it should be the following

Clay - Slow
Wimbledon - Super quick
US Open - Quick
Australian - Bouncy

Clay is now ridiculously slow
The other 3 are almost all the same.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Hard to go past Novak as it is likely he will hold all records once done. I think all 3 are superstars.

Very important thing happened in Tennis in 2010 onwards where all the courts worldwide were slowed down as Tennis was scared of big serving players dominating the sport. This happened everywhere including the Grass at Wimbledon and this effectively made Tennis a baseline sport.
This also probably cost some great serve volley players some slams.

Places like Wimbledon and the US Open were once extremely quick courts, if you could not serve and Volley then your chances were slim. This has all changed now and it's very important to note. If these courts had not of been changed would the tally's be any different? We will never know.

As a spectacle I think it should be the following

Clay - Slow
Wimbledon - Super quick
US Open - Quick
Australian - Bouncy

Clay is now ridiculously slow
The other 3 are almost all the same.
Djokovic has won big titles on all surfaces. Indoor fast, outdoor fast, slow, high bounce. I genuinely think he can play on any surface and win.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Djokovic has won big titles on all surfaces. Indoor fast, outdoor fast, slow, high bounce. I genuinely think he can play on any surface and win.

Yes I agree. I do however think it would be a struggle for him and Rafa on Grass against Fed if the courts were quick as they once were. Like I said they are all champs.

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
I mean it’s so foregone. Federer fans just use the most major excuse. Once Novak surpasses him, what’s the argument? Best technique, most talented?

On FB the common cry from the old Anglos is "he'll never have the class, he'll never have the grace of Federer".

It's amusing how much it hurts. I want to drink their tears.

Romeoh1

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Djokovic looks like easily passing the 20 and will have to go down on his record as the goat.
Unfortunately for him, he will never really be spoken of in the same way as Rafa and roger. That’s partly because they are actually more charming than him, on and off the court. Those two are charismatic and well loved by lots of people. Not many sports where people are as revered as those two are. And he’s not as easy to warm to and he has said a few dopey things over the years. And that’s just how it is.
People will talk about this matchless era for a long time but he just won’t be the first one on people’s lips.
Don’t think it matters- the record books will certainly say he was the best and had the measure of the others for a number of years. And he will have to be content with that.

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
1623716636282.png

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Seriously, guys in here -Nadal & Fed fanbois - trying to qualify their reasoning as to why Djokovic isn't the GOAT, or reluctantly accepting it.

He is the GOAT! He has every record except the Grand Slam total, and unless someone kneecaps him beforehand or he somehow defaults himself again in the next two events, he will have that too.

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
Seriously, guys in here -Nadal & Fed fanbois - trying to qualify their reasoning as to why Djokovic isn't the GOAT, or reluctantly accepting it.

He is the GOAT! He has every record except the Grand Slam total, and unless someone kneecaps him beforehand or he somehow defaults himself again in the next two events, he will have that too.

I wouldn't put it past a Fed fanboi to do such a thing. I still have raw memories of Monica Seles and that Steffi Graf nutjob.

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Only way Nole doesn't become the GOAT is if they make vaccinations mandatory to travel, Nole has said he'll leave the ATP tour if that's the case.
Can just see this blowing up come AO next year. All we are are going to hear about.

Last edited:

RoweyThePainter

Club Legend
May 17, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Must say I am tired of hearing this thing about Novak not being liked.

For one thing thing, what does that have to do with being GOAT of a sport?

For another if that is the case it just makes all his achievements even more admirable.

For yet another, it is possibly this "edge" that will drive Novak to the undisputed goat title.

If Djokovic can win #20 then I'll happily call him the GOAT, as I've always maintained that number of GS titles determines that.

Sadly for Federer, I think he's reached near his end, probably will have one more farewell year.

You're way too transparent, though. You've only tagged me to gloat.

Federer clearly gone a year or two too long.
100%. I said end of Aust Open 2019 that he was cooked much to the disgust of many. Especially the "just wait to Wimbledon crew."

If Djokovic can win #20 then I'll happily call him the GOAT, as I've always maintained that number of GS titles determines that.

Sadly for Federer, I think he's reached near his end, probably will have one more farewell year.
Good work Thrawny. Refreshing to not see a dedicated Fed fan scrambling for some absurd statistic. Credit to you. 👍

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

You're way too transparent, though. You've only tagged me to gloat.

Could be proved wrong but Federer seems like a guy that would like a big farewell.

RoweyThePainter

Club Legend
May 17, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
100%. I said end of Aust Open 2019 that he was cooked much to the disgust of many. Especially the "just wait to Wimbledon crew."

Good work Thrawny. Refreshing to not see a dedicated Fed fan scrambling for some absurd statistic. Credit to you. 👍

Still going ok for a guy who is cooked and almost 40 tho. If we had a guy make QFs at Wimbledon he would be a national hero ... if briefly.

Back