• Gary Lyon

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Anthony Hudson

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • James Brayshaw

Votes: 10 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It says so much about the game that a caller like the late Clinton Grybas nowadays would not get a look in due to not having either played the game or been involved in administration at a high level. It doesn't even have to be a decorated career to get a run. Terribly sad to see.
Clinton would be running the whole shebang by now I reckon.

Dermott "No Mas" Brereton

Please, I can't take it any more. What he has given to my club in silverware, he has now robbed me of a chance to listen to their games with the sound on.

Dermott "No Mas" Brereton

Please, I can't take it any more. What he has given to my club in silverware, he has now robbed me of a chance to listen to their games with the sound on.
I feel sorry for both sets of supporters when it dawns on them that he is doing one of their games. He is seriously that bad, so smug and condescending. Does not add anything to the game,actually detracts from it. Obscure and verbose all rolled into one. Major boys club beneficiary.

Brian Taylor is a joke.

I can’t listen to Dwayne Russell though, he’s absolutely woeful.

It's so hard to judge as both are comfortably the worst callers I've ever heard.

I think right now Russell just gets the nod. Is now obsessed with creating catchphrases for quite literally every passage of play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alistair Nicholson. Weedy voice when the game hits high spots, weedy as befits his ABC background

Peter Ewin.....only did the one year, in 1977, with Lou Richards. After that it was Lou and Landy.
In Peter's rather belated defence, he was a radio caller for years before that. During the virus, ABC played some old 1970s grand finals and he as fine. But his 1977 call was almost a self-parody.

Hamish McLachlan is Gil's brother and suddenly went from hosting polo events in the UK to a lead AFL caller ... just as Channel 7 were bidding to get the right back in 2007.

Subtle.

Who's the woman doing special comments for GWS vs Sydney? Just said Jesse Hogan is "obviously a left footer" when lining up for goal :huh:

I generally won't criticse AFL/AFLW players doing special comments (mainly one's just starting out) nor anyone who does VFL/SANFL/WAFL etc (games that aren't on FTA) cause they're probably inexperienced or perhaps media students etc getting paid a pittance (if anything). You're punching down and it's lazy and unfair.

However, 7 or Fox Footy commentators, paid good money who barely do any research, hardly know the rules, refuse to travel interstate and insist calling the game off the screen is justified or are just so goddam lazy/terrible are fair game. And that's why BT, JB, Dwayne, Cornes, King and Ling to name a few deserve all the criticism in the world.

Back