Review Who is to blame for our disgusting selection policies?

Who is to blame for our selection policies?

• Don Pyke

Votes: 78 69.6%
  • Scott Camporeale

Votes: 42 37.5%
  • Matthew Clarke

Votes: 22 19.6%
  • David Teague

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • James Podsiadly

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Heath Younie

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Ryan O'Keefe

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Tate Kaesler

• Paul Thomas

• Nathan van Berlo

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • Brett Burton

• Andrew Fagan

• Rob Chapman

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Our selection policies are fine

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes but Wigg has the ability to make DMac look tough as nails.

As for my faith, if Greenwood is being managed for real then that decision comes from the fitness and conditioning and gets taken out of his hands.

If he was being managed he shouldn't be an emergency.

Statistically yes. But the "eye test"?

We saw Wigg was like a deer in the headlights during JLT games. I have seen this lack of composure in the one SANFL game I saw live and the one I saw on TV this year. It is his fourth year in the system. He should be over that.

Sorry but the love for Wigg due to his nice u/18s highlights package and fabled kicking ability is unwarranted.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wigg didn't do that well in JLT series no, but to condemn him off that is way too harsh IMO.

As for the SANFL he has outperformed Thompson in more than just stats.

I can see why Thommo is playing. Don't like it but understand it.

They want a big body in the middle. Greenwood needs a rest. There is no one else in the SANFL side who can step in this week and play that role. Hampton is injured and so is Cheney who could be shoehorned into this role.

Poholke and Gallucci would be considered next, but understand the selectors wanting experience in a wet game against the reigning Premiers in an area of the ground they are strong in.

And no Wigg is not AFL standard. He is Grigg version 2.0.

Thommo is playing that "insurance" role many of us expected would be for if Matt Crouch gets injured or needs a rest.

My doubt is whether Thommo is actually up to it and hope the game has not gone past him and he can still do it. From the limited SANFL games I have seen he looked cooked.

If Greenwood needs a rest after enjoying the bye two weeks ago, he should retire from professional football

I can see why Thommo is playing. Don't like it but understand it.

They want a big body in the middle. Greenwood needs a rest. There is no one else in the SANFL side who can step in this week and play that role. Hampton is injured and so is Cheney who could be shoehorned into this role.

Poholke and Gallucci would be considered next, but understand the selectors wanting experience in a wet game against the reigning Premiers in an area of the ground they are strong in.

And no Wigg is not AFL standard. He is Grigg version 2.0.

Thommo is playing that "insurance" role many of us expected would be for if Matt Crouch gets injured or needs a rest.

My doubt is whether Thommo is actually up to it and hope the game has not gone past him and he can still do it. From the limited SANFL games I have seen he looked cooked.

All he's played is slower paced reserves. Bevo's eyes have lit up, he will get ganged at the stoppage and the ball will spill there. WB score from stoppages could be very high.

If Greenwood needs a rest after enjoying the bye two weeks ago, he should retire from professional football
He is essentially a first year player resting him now tells me there is an expectation of him playing an important role in Finals. Still a lot of footy to go and he plays a physically demanding role.

He is essentially a first year player resting him now tells me there is an expectation of him playing an important role in Finals. Still a lot of footy to go and he plays a physically demanding role.

He's not essentially a first year player at all. He's been in the system for two years, and before that he was a professional athlete. His fitness base is much higher than 2nd year draftees.

On top of that it makes no sense to rest him 2 weeks after the bye. If they were going to freshen him up for finals, maybe do it closer to the finals

He's not essentially a first year player at all. He's been in the system for two years, and before that he was a professional athlete. His fitness base is much higher than 2nd year draftees.

On top of that it makes no sense to rest him 2 weeks after the bye. If they were going to freshen him up for finals, maybe do it closer to the finals

I'll agree it makes no sense to rest him it was a really really weird call if he doesn't play anywhere this week it's pretty much a given he is carrying something they want fixed and the best way to fix any injury is to rest it or you inflame it

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Campo, is that you?
I jest - I actually like your line of thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or the league round bye after the last round of the year.

First year of AFL footy.

90kilo guys battering into him at every contest. It takes a toll.

He missed a few games last year as well but was in stellar form in the SANFL Finals.

I would not be surprised if M Crouch may miss a game for the same reason.

Last edited:
At this point im not sure it does anymore. Weve seen and heard Don do all he can to distance himself from bringing Thommo back into the side. Reckon his midfield cronies have had a fair amount to do with this.

Facebook is unbearable at the best of times but the amount of love for Thommo and 'hes a legend' comments are sickening.

At the press conference only a week or so ago Pyke said about Thommo "he's put his hand up high" when describing Thommo's chances of returning to the senior side so not sure he has distanced himself.

I find it very hard to believe that any head coach is allowing things to happen that he doesn't want to happen. There's no way Campo or anyone else runs the show.

Last edited:
We have a serious soft issue in the last 7 weeks

Even tex and roo have called it

He doesn't run like Galluci but he won't be knocked around like him either

The problem with the team first and foremost even this board harps in about it is we are soft

It ain't going away you can't hide from it

I would prefer Greenwood in but we do seriously need to fix our soft underbelly or we are going nowhere quickly

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My issue with Thommo are his clangers and turnovers and constant giving away of free kicks. I can even forgive the slowness but when various people in a stand at the ground are all calling for him to retire as they were last year it says a lot about a player. Thommo does contested possession well but the things he doesn't do well tend to counteract the good.

I get that he's a like for like replacement for Greenwood but Thommo is 34. It's time to move on.

My issue with Thommo are his clangers and turnovers and constant giving away of free kicks. I can even forgive the slowness but when various people in a stand at the ground are all calling for him to retire as they were last year it says a lot about a player. Thommo does contested possession well but the things he doesn't do well tend to counteract the good.

I get that he's a like for like replacement for Greenwood but Thommo is 34. It's time to move on.

If Greemwood is carrying something and time will tell on that, especially if he doesnt pull the boots on this weekend, we have no one in the twos that can handle a bit of contested ball apart from thommo, it was the only reason he was kept on the list as the rest of the list has been drafted as a bunch of runners , maybe a couple of late picks last year will develop but they wont be trusting those late picks this year and nor should they unless we plan on dropping a couple of games at this important stage

If Greemwood is carrying something and time will tell on that, especially if he doesnt pull the boots on this weekend, we have no one in the twos that can handle a bit of contested ball apart from thommo, it was the only reason he was kept on the list as the rest of the list has been drafted as a bunch of runners , maybe a couple of late picks last year will develop but they wont be trusting those late picks this year and nor should they unless we plan on dropping a couple of games at this important stage

Greenwood must be carrying an injury or maybe he's got a virus? Someone said he's named as an emergency though. It's all a bit weird.

I know I sound like a broken record on this...but seems we have to go back over it every few weeks. So here goes:

1. The job of the selectors and coaching staff is to put a team on the field that provides the best opportunity to execute their game plan and win the game ahead of them that week.

2. They aren't in the business of tanking games or seasons in this organization---if you want to see how that works, follow the Cleveland Browns.

3. No one in their right mind is going to elevate young draftees, etc...to play the reigning premierships in their first go round.

4. This is winnable game, at home, before a large crowd.

5. A veteran like Thompson is going to be more valued than rookies and/or players with limited experience. It would happen in the Sydney organization, Geelong organization, Hawthorn organization and any other organization that sat second with a tough home game upcoming.

Relax, the world isn't going to end (well hopefully not, with our idiot in charge of a vast arsenal of humanity ending weapons one never knows for certain) and I expect the boys to play well Friday night.

End of lecture...to be repeated in about 4 weeks time. ;)

For an American,... You're showing too much sense! You don't belong in this thread.:p

I know I sound like a broken record on this...but seems we have to go back over it every few weeks. So here goes:

1. The job of the selectors and coaching staff is to put a team on the field that provides the best opportunity to execute their game plan and win the game ahead of them that week.

2. They aren't in the business of tanking games or seasons in this organization---if you want to see how that works, follow the Cleveland Browns.

3. No one in their right mind is going to elevate young draftees, etc...to play the reigning premierships in their first go round.

5. A veteran like Thompson is going to be more valued than rookies and/or players with limited experience. It would happen in the Sydney organization, Geelong organization, Hawthorn organization and any other organization that sat second with a tough home game upcoming.

Relax, the world isn't going to end (well hopefully not, with our idiot in charge of a vast arsenal of humanity ending weapons one never knows for certain) and I expect the boys to play well Friday night.

All good points, but highlighted is I think where we're going wrong. Far too concerned with our structures / game plan (which has been picked apart easily since round 7). I'd like to see us pick players that are going to improve the team (possibly not in the short term, but longer term), rather than the safe option. Thommo replaces Greenwood. Thommo is an accumulator of possessions, can tackle (usually poorly...last game in SANFL, 33 possessions, 6 tackles - 4 frees against). Compare that to Greenwood, 12 possessions and 9 tackles, 0 frees against. Seems to me a mis-match...maybe Poholke a better option, being young, enthusiastic and played a fair game last week, could have given us a similar output to Greenwood, and been a better balance for the team. IMO Thommo should only have been brought should MCrouch have been unavailable (a true like for like).
Similarly with the Otten selection - surely with the Dogs' smaller, more nimble forwards Doedee was worth a risk? Redpath their only tall fwd this week, and Otten has played forward in most games this year (including last week in the SANFL).

Time will tell, but the pessimism here on thread is well warranted in my view.

As always you cut through to the heart of the matter. I agree on the premise of most of what you say ( actually all but there is wiggle room)

1 and 2 are interchangeable for me in that the long term success of any organisation is indeed OrganicGrowth. How to achieve that is where I think the majority of arguments end up

Too many shiny new toys and Point 1 is in serious debate. Not enough and suddenly you do find Point 2 starts getting talked about. Its getting the balance between introducing a new toy v looking at playing with the same toy thats been around for years and you know will provide fun, until that dodgy axle falls off.

In Basketball the numbers make it very difficult for a player to get game time unless its junk time. In NFL there are many plays designed for specific players and it is only injury that sees a rookie get minutes. It is mainly the Top 10-20 that get immediate games.

I think the frustration stems from the idea that 1 player considered to have been past it , and only given a contract to ''help out the young fellas while waiting for an opportunity'' is considered over the OrganicGrowth.

Selection drawing board.

1. Playing a team that has cut us to pieces with pace.
2. Add slowest player on our list and possibly in the entire AFL to the midfield.
3. ???????????
4. Victory
Add in the rain and Doggies relying on quick handball.

Exactly! I heard the club say during the week Greenwood had taken on a greater load than expected. That to me rang alarm bells that management was just around the corner.

The fact he is an emergency is a moot point. All it says is he is still good enough to play if we need him, but they feel a week off is far more beneficial in the long term. If he does step in and have to play he will be managed next week or the week after.

People are acting like the management of a 1st year player is a new thing we have come up with. Some ridiculous out of the box scheme.

Back