Hogan
Gawn
Oliver
Brown
Martin
Yeo
Bontempelli
Macrae

Rayner, Stephenson, Mccluggage, Cerra, McGrath and Taranto too if they improve further in 2019

Imo

Last edited:
Hardly guaranteed a gun every time. Look at the pick ones from the last decade.

2008 - Jack Watts
2009 - Tom Scully
2010 - David Swallow
2011 - Johnathan Patton
2012 - Lachie Whitfield
2013 - Tom Boyd
2014 - Patrick McCartin
2015 - Jacob Weitering
2016 - Andrew McGrath
2017 - Cameron Rayner
Jury is still out on a few of those players. Mccartin, Swallow and Patton have all suffered from injuries but have all shown good footy. Boyd has suffered from mental illness. The rest are looking to be very good players and I don't think any of them will be a bust.

Go back a couple more years and Hodge, Reiwoldt, Goddard, Murphy, Deledio and Gibbs turned out alright.

It's a bit of a lotto but you've got a chance of getting a once in a generation type player like a Hodge or Reiwoldt.

Last edited:

From Collingwood.

Treloar, Grundy, Degoey, Stephenson.

No one from us, closest would be Matt Crouch, Laird or Doedee all around pick 5. Pick 1 is overrated, none of the recent pick 1s would be worth pick 1.

I'd give up pick one for Gawn, Fyfe, Grundy, Cripps, Oliver, Yeo, Macrae, Bont, Hogan or Andrews.

And definitely not nicnat. Will be 30 when he plays next coming of his second acl
Is this a response to something I said? You'll get no argument from me. Is that meant to be some kind of retribution for my post questioning pick 1 for Pendlebury?

"Yeah but ... not for NicNat either!"

Yeah, agreed. What's your point?

There'd probably be a few players worth pick 1 at nearly every club. Its not some mythical pick which gets you a guaranteed multiple brownlow medalist, most of the time it results in pretty good players that go onto to play 200 games.

The reason we never see pick 1 traded is that nobody wants to give up those kind of players. eg from Essendon I wouldn't give up any of Daniher, Merrett or Fantasia for pick 1. It would just set us back. There's every chance you end up with a worse player too or you end up with an equivalent player that has years less development and is less useful for going after a premiership in the next few years.

For a side that's really in the premiership hunt that somehow ended up with pick 1, you'd probably be willing to trade it for some older type midfield guns of the competition as well, but obviously that won't work out if you're down the bottom of the ladder.

Pick 1 is incredibly overrated if you think there’s only 4 or 5 players you’d take.

From Brisbane I’d give pick 1 for any of Andrews, Hipwood, McCluggage, Berry or Rayner.
Of course you would say that being a Lions supporter though.
If you had pick 1 this year as a Lions list manager who would you trade it for?

Clubs seem to rate picks very highly. If you look back at previous trades, only the very best players command a top 10 pick, let alone pick 1. Lachie Weller last year was an exception, that trade has been universally agreed upon that the Suns paid massive overs.

Hardly guaranteed a gun every time. Look at the pick ones from the last decade.

2008 - Jack Watts
2009 - Tom Scully
2010 - David Swallow
2011 - Johnathan Patton
2012 - Lachie Whitfield
2013 - Tom Boyd
2014 - Patrick McCartin
2015 - Jacob Weitering
2016 - Andrew McGrath
2017 - Cameron Rayner

Back to my post on the last page, I'd pretty easily take Curnow over every single player on this list.

Whitfield and Sculpt are next best but they're not in the same class as Curnow. Rayner is a chance to be as good as him though.

The chances of drafting a top 30 player in the league with pick 1 is definitely below 20% I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back to my post on the last page, I'd pretty easily take Curnow over every single player on this list.

Whitfield and Sculpt are next best but they're not in the same class as Curnow. Rayner is a chance to be as good as him though.

The chances of drafting a top 30 player in the league with pick 1 is definitely below 20% I reckon.
I disagree.

If we look at the last 20 number 1 draft picks, I'd have the following players as top 30 in the comp at some point of their respective careers:

- Travis Johnstone (came 4th in a Brownlow)
- Nick Reiwoldt (arguably the best forward of his generation)
- Luke Hodge (triple premiership captain)
- Brendon Goddard (top 5 player in his prime)
- Adam Cooney (Brownlow medalist)
- Brett Deledio (2x AA)
- Marc Murphy (AA, 2x best n fairests)
- Bryce Gibbs (Best n fairest winner)
- Tom Scully (top 30 when he's fit)
- Lachie Whitfield (current top 30 on recent form)
A bit early to call on Boyd, Mccartin, Weitering, Mcgrath and Rayner.

That's at 50% rate even if we write the last 5 picks off.

Adelaide
- M.Crouch
- Laird

Brisbane
- Rayner
- Mcluggage
- Hipwood
- Andrews

Carlton
- Cripps
- Curnow

Collingwood
- Treolor
- De Goey
- Stephenson
- Grundy

Essendon
- Daniher
- Merrett
- Fantasia
- McGrath

Fremantle
- Neale
- Fyfe
- Cerra

Geelong
- Dangerfield

Gold Coast
- Lynch

GWS
- Cameron
- Kelly
- Shiel
- Whitfield
- Taranto

Hawthorn
- Mitchell
- Sicily

Melbourne
- Oliver
- Hogan
- Gawn
- Lever
- McDonald

North Melbourne
- Brown

Port Adelaide
- Wingard
- Wines

Richmond
- Martin
- Rance

St Kilda
- Gresham

Sydney
- Heeney
- Mills
- Hayward

West Coast
- McGovern

Western Bulldogs
- Bontempelli
- Macrae

I disagree.

If we look at the last 20 number 1 draft picks, I'd have the following players as top 30 in the comp at some point of their respective careers:

- Travis Johnstone (came 4th in a Brownlow)
- Nick Reiwoldt (arguably the best forward of his generation)
- Luke Hodge (triple premiership captain)
- Brendon Goddard (top 5 player in his prime)
- Adam Cooney (Brownlow medalist)
- Brett Deledio (2x AA)
- Marc Murphy (AA, 2x best n fairests)
- Bryce Gibbs (Best n fairest winner)
- Tom Scully (top 30 when he's fit)
- Lachie Whitfield (current top 30 on recent form)
A bit early to call on Boyd, Mccartin, Weitering, Mcgrath and Rayner.

That's at 50% rate even if we write the last 5 picks off.
Swallow is a club champion and Kreuzer has been a good player, as well

#1 pick is so over rated!
No way would I trade Martin, Rance, Cotchin or Reiwoldt for pick 1
Even Edwards, Vlaustin, Grimes & Astbury would need some convincing IMO.

#1 pick is so over rated!
No way would I trade Martin, Rance, Cotchin or Reiwoldt for pick 1
Even Edwards, Vlaustin, Grimes & Astbury would need some convincing IMO.
You wouldn't trade a 29 year old Shane Edwards, to take the best 18 year old prospect in Australia?

Right now.
No.
He is a massive part of our team while we are pushing for another flag or two.
I find that baffling personally.

But great to see supporters having such faith in their players. Edwards (along with Astbury, Grimes and Vlaustin) have had nice careers for you guys.

What would you put Brandon Ellis' or Reece Conca's trade value at?

Of course you would say that being a Lions supporter though.
If you had pick 1 this year as a Lions list manager who would you trade it for?

Clubs seem to rate picks very highly. If you look back at previous trades, only the very best players command a top 10 pick, let alone pick 1. Lachie Weller last year was an exception, that trade has been universally agreed upon that the Suns paid massive overs.

There’d probably be close to 30 players in the league I’d trade it for.

Have a look how many players that have been taken 2-5 are better than the pick 1 since 2000.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back