Opinion Who is worth Pick 1 or more?

Remove this Banner Ad

With pick 1 being so highly regarded, double points from pick 10 and 500 more than pick 2, who do you actually think is worth pick one if more?
Let's say it's an average draft year and the player is contracted but has requested a trade to any club?

I don't think it's that many....
Cripps, Dusty, Kelly,.....
Maybe NicNat, Gawn, Grundy, Fyfe, Rance Danger, Lynch or McGovern to the right team but I don't actually think there is that many players worth the straight swap?
NicNat!?!?!?
LOL
You Eagles are embarrassing.
29 before he will play again and has two dodgy knees.

From Collingwood.

Treloar, Grundy, Degoey, Stephenson.
Stephenson isn't worth pick 1. He's been the best first year player, sure (easily even) but that rarely equates to the best player in the long run.

In De Goey's first 2 years, he wasnt worth a top ten pick.

hahahahahaha
Convince me otherwise?
You cant tell me if we traded any of those players out for an 18 year old that is unproven would help us win a flag in the next 12 months.
Imagine if Richmond traded Rance for Patty Mcartin?
We would be a laughing stock.
#1 pick is THE most over rated thing in AFL and even world sport.
Its a good way of giving fans that support a s**t team some hope. Thats all

This year not many as I think Lukosious is worth the hype for a change but most years there’s 50 players who Id do the trade for.
Number 1 picks aren't set in July, no matter how much it might seem like they are. Plenty of water to flow under the draft bridge until November, the combine, remaining footy, injuries that occur from here and club interviews have a huge impact.

Convince me otherwise?
You cant tell me if we traded any of those players out for an 18 year old that is unproven would help us win a flag in the next 12 months.
Imagine if Richmond traded Rance for Patty Mcartin?
We would be a laughing stock.
#1 pick is THE most over rated thing in AFL and even world sport.
Its a good way of giving fans that support a s**t team some hope. Thats all
yeah I reckon the italics was unnecessary. The underline, bold and caps was enough...

I would trade a 29 year old Jack Riewoldt for a number 1 pick in Jack Lukosius in a heart beat. You'd be unbelievably stupid not to.

Imagine saying no to 18 year old Nick Riewoldt to keep 29 year old Jack Riewoldt lol. It would be the biggest draft/trade blunder of all time.

And fyi, I was more laughing at the idea you'd keep Edwards (29), Grimes or Astbury instead of Jack Lukosius. That really makes you look silly. Might wanna step outside the richmond bubble for a second.

yeah I reckon the italics was unnecessary. The underline, bold and caps was enough...

I would trade a 29 year old Jack Riewoldt for a number 1 pick in Jack Lukosius in a heart beat. You'd be unbelievably stupid not to.

Imagine saying no to 18 year old Nick Riewoldt to keep 29 year old Jack Riewoldt lol. It would be the biggest draft/trade blunder of all time.

And fyi, I was more laughing at the idea you'd keep Edwards (29), Grimes or Astbury instead of Jack Lukosius. That really makes you look silly. Might wanna step outside the richmond bubble for a second.
Imagine if giving away our best key forward for one we hope becomes good cost us a shot at the 2019 premiership?
Who would look stupid then?

The point is, Richmond will be in contention to challenge in 2019, I'm not sure this is the year to trade our most important players to a premiership challenge for a speculative pick. The whole point of high picks is to build a list to win a flag. Richmond have that list right now, why would you rock the boat to try and pick a player that won't help you win until 2022? By the time Lukosious or whoever is in his prime, Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt and Rance are all out of their prime.

Number 1 picks aren't set in July, no matter how much it might seem like they are. Plenty of water to flow under the draft bridge until November, the combine, remaining footy, injuries that occur from here and club interviews have a huge impact.

Clubs would already know exactly what the story is regarding Lukosious, a big injury or heart disorder are the only things stopping the certainty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your totally missing the point.
Richmond is in the premiership window right now.
Jack Lukosious is as hyped as Patty Mcartin, Josh Schache, Jacob Weitering. He may be good but theres also a chance he may be a spud.
#1 pick means "jack" s**t for the Tigers right now.

Your totally missing the point.
Richmond is in the premiership window right now.
Jack Lukosious is as hyped as Patty Mcartin, Josh Schache, Jacob Weitering. He may be good but theres also a chance he may be a spud.
#1 pick means "jack" s**t for the Tigers right now.
haha maybe if you wanna go back to being terrible for 30 years in 3-4 years time when all those players are done.

Carlton could've really used Josh Kennedy in the past 6 years and for the next 2 or 3. Think about it.

I find it hilarious that people still over-rate pick 1 so much. Ambrosia has it right. There are so many players in the league you should trade pick 1 for. Too many people think you get the best player in the league with pick 1. In the history of the draft I reckon there has been once when the best player from that draft (Riewoldt) was taken at 1, yet alone the best player in the comp. Riewoldt and Hodge have been the only two who have come close.

Pick 1 should (it often doesnt) guarantee an A-grade elite player and that is what it is worth. I would easily trade pick 1 for any of Rayner, Stephensen or Cerra from last years draft. High draft picks who have shown they arent flops and still have the potential to be top 10 league players? Sign me up.

Pick 1 is incredibly overrated if you think there’s only 4 or 5 players you’d take.

From Brisbane I’d give pick 1 for any of Andrews, Hipwood, McCluggage, Berry or Rayner.

Incredibly overrated indeed! The track record of pick 1 is great not insane. Much of it has to be down to the mystique of having pick 1. IMO, any high level performer with at least 150 games left in them could be justified as being worthy of a trade involving pick 1.

I mean as an example from every club except 1 I’d give it for at least one player M Crouch, Andrews, Cripps, De Goey, Daniher, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Mitchell, Cameron, Lynch, Oliver, Wines, Brown, Martin, Parker, McGovern and Bontempelli. All of them are either multiple AA or will be by the time their career is up, IMO. The last guy to be drafted at 1 and be AA was Murphy almost 15 years ago! The pick itself isn’t a guarantee of a good player, but rather of longevity in the system with only Waterhouse, Hutton and Hooper not having 10 year + careers in the AFL era.

FWIW that isn’t to take a dump on St Kilda either I’m just struggling to find someone with that level of potential currently on their list.

haha maybe if you wanna go back to being terrible for 30 years in 3-4 years time when all those players are done.

Carlton could've really used Josh Kennedy in the past 6 years and for the next 2 or 3. Think about it.
Yer they traded him for Chris Judd...
Im not going to keep arguing with a guy that supports a team offering Polec over 700K haha

I've seen a lot of "certainties" in July not be number 1. Happens a lot of years but people never learn.

Oh I’m not saying he will be, Im saying he’s certainly the number one talent by far. A team could do a Melbourne with Watts or a Stkilda with McCartin and overthink the undeniable talent.

Last edited:
Only player worth pick 1 is Grundy. Only team that would give it up is Carlton and Gold Coast..
Charlie Curnow would have to be close. What he does in a crap side is amazing.

People either overrate the number 1 pick or know s**t all about footy. Can think of plenty of players I would want ahead of David Swallow, Patton, Whitfield, Boyd, McCartin/Petracca (consensus), Weitering, and McGrath.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back