Opinion Who is worth Pick 1 or more?

Remove this Banner Ad

If you are a struggling club with the first pick, which will happen most of the time, targets of a pick#1 trade have to be an All Australian midfielder/key defender/key forward under 25 who suits your list profile, with Brodie Grundy as the exception as a ruckman OR a top 10 player in the league as a bare minimum IMO.

Patty Cripps, Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Kelly, Clayton Oliver(think it’s pretty clear he will be AA this year), Elliot Yeo, Tom Lynch, Brodie Grundy, Tom Mitchell is the caliber of players I’d be looking at. I’ve definitely missed some names, but the likes of Isaac Heeney(he will be worth pick#1 one day), Harris Andrews(perhaps an exception with his lauded leadership qualities and he’s a chance for AA anyway), Jesse Hogan, Dylan Shiel, Zach Merrett, Lachie Neale, Jaeger O Meara and others are not worth the number one pick IMO.

If you are a contending team like Collingwood and you had the number one pick you’d be silly not to chase a Zach Merrett if you specifically lacked outside runners with class. But I don’t think there are more than 25 players worth more than the number one pick.

There could be others, but these are the players I think would be most likely to attract Pick 1 based on potential talent, age (younger than 28 is usually the cut off, with a few exceptions), draft pick taken, established talent, or all of the above:

Adelaide: Laird, Crouch
Brisbane: McLuggage, Andrews, Witherden, Rayner
Carlton: Cripps, Curnow, Docherty
Collingwood: Treloar, De Goey, Grundy
Essendon: Merrett, McGrath
Fremantle: Fyfe
Gold Coast: Ainsworth, J. Martin, T. Lynch
Geelong: Dangerfield
GWS: Coniglio, J. Kelly, Taranto, Greene
Hawthorn: Mitchell
Melbourne: Oliver, Brayshaw, Gawn, Hogan
North Melbourne: B. Brown
Port Adelaide: Wingard
Richmond: D. Martin, Rance, Lambert, D. Rioli
St Kilda: Gresham
Sydney: Heeney, Parker
West Coast: Gaff, McGovern, Yeo
Western Bulldogs: Macrae, Bontempelli, English

Last edited:

If you are a struggling club with the first pick, which will happen most of the time, targets of a pick#1 trade have to be an All Australian midfielder/key defender/key forward under 25 who suits your list profile, with Brodie Grundy as the exception as a ruckman OR a top 10 player in the league as a bare minimum IMO.

Patty Cripps, Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Kelly, Clayton Oliver(think it’s pretty clear he will be AA this year), Elliot Yeo, Tom Lynch, Brodie Grundy, Tom Mitchell is the caliber of players I’d be looking at. I’ve definitely missed some names, but the likes of Isaac Heeney(he will be worth pick#1 one day), Harris Andrews(perhaps an exception with his lauded leadership qualities and he’s a chance for AA anyway), Jesse Hogan, Dylan Shiel, Zach Merrett, Lachie Neale, Jaeger O Meara and others are not worth the number one pick IMO.

If you are a contending team like Collingwood and you had the number one pick you’d be silly not to chase a Zach Merrett if you specifically lacked outside runners with class. But I don’t think there are more than 25 players worth more than the number one pick.
We have better outside runners than just about everyone in the comp... Sidebottom, Treloar, Phillips, Crisp, WHE... Only GWS's Shiel/Whitfield/Kelly/Taranto combo rivals it.

Our midfield clearance is centre clearance, we do well at stoppages, but not in the middle. Someone like Oliver/Mitchell/Cripps would be immense.

Someone needs to ask Knightmare his opinion here, given his stated view that no two of GWS's players should persuade Carlton to trade the chance of landing Lukosius. Effectively, he thinks Lukosius > Coniglio + Whitfield.

(He's wrong, though)

Someone needs to ask Knightmare his opinion here, given his stated view that no two of GWS's players should persuade Carlton to trade the chance of landing Lukosius. Effectively, he thinks Lukosius > Coniglio + Whitfield.

(He's wrong, though)

I think he was referencing Shiel and Setterfield who are supposedly up for grabs.

Lukosius probably won’t go at 1 anyway unless something drastic changes. Feel sorry for the kid already, a lot of pressure on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back